TheAmazingJordo

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
I had been running my Intel Core 2 Quad 9550 (2.83GHz) not overclocked, and I decided to check my Core Temps, using Core Temp, and I realized a few of the cores are IDLING at 60 degrees Celsius.

I decided to replace the stock Intel Heatsink, with new Artic Silver paste and a Sunbeam 120MM Core Contact Freezer.

After getting the PC up and running, and reinstalling Vista, I opened up Core Temp, and lone behold thee EXACT temps as the stock Heatsink was showing. I spent over an hour installing this new heatsink, making sure the paste was spread properly, and everything was installed and set correctly.

I have no idea what the problem is, I'm afraid of damage because at 95-100% Load it starts going over 71 degrees and higher.

Here is a pic of Core Temp: http://i25.tinypic.com/263hfmo.png

Are you sure you have a solid contact between the heat sink and CPU? Some people have to machine their heat sinks for minor flaws to get the best results. It's weird however that you have the exact same temp readings as with the stock cooler. That leads me to believe you have a seating problem.

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Try looking at what real temps and hwmonitors give you, just to make sure it isn't Core Temps having the problem.

If those temperatures are accurate, then you do have a problem. Remember that with thermal paste, more is less.

I have my q9550 way overclocked with a Mugen 2, and it doesn't go past 62 (3.91ghz at 1.312v). At stock, the Mugen 2 literally *laughs* at it.

Also, what case are you using? Can you also check voltages on hwmonitor or everest or similar? What motherboard?

TheAmazingJordo

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
I've tried every temp program and it's all reporting the same thing.

I'm running my Q9550 with a 120MM Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer, all on a ASUS X48 Rampage Formula Mobo, inside an Antec 900, with a ton of fans. I just don't see how these temps are possible.

Here is a HWMoniter screenshot: http://i30.tinypic.com/2l8jfgj.jpg

TheAmazingJordo

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
I've tried all Temp programs and they are all the same. Thing that worries me is that it may just be a bad thermal sensor, but I wish they read like 40000 degrees so atleast I'd know they were bad. I think I'm going to give it another tear down on Thursday, and redo everything, again.

Check for humps or dents or make sure both your cpu and heat sink are flat, using a straight edge. Your cpu could actually have a slight bulge, and forces no contact with your heat sink. You may look into a lil lapping if so

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Check CPU and HeatSink for flatness. Lap if needed.

Buy better thermal paste ?

be SURE its nicely installed and tight. make sure the heatsink its sit on the CPU and that hes not touching any CAPS.

You guys talking about lapping the CPU or the heat sink? Everyone I know with this problem ID'd as a misfit has modified their heat sink to match up to the CPU. I wouldn't ever touch the CPU. That's just common sense - modify the cheaper part!

http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/lapping/

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Ive seen few concave stock CPU. This mean that if you only lap the HSF youll never see any improvement. The CPU only touch the Heatsink with its 4 corner. This mean that only the paste make the contact .... = bad

If the CPU isnt FLAT ... he can stil RMA it.

Yes, but you can just do one if the others already flat, or just do one , using it as a mold for a better fit, if you have to, saying you dont want to touch you concaved cpu, but you want you hsf to match it, by sanding/hollowing it out