Warning: AMD PII X4 955 and AM2+ motherboards

spanner_razor

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Well that's a risk with any new chip, hell the 9850 and 9950 still aren't supported on a lot of boards due to their excessively high 140w TDP. I wouldn't trust that list whole heartedly though as it doesn't list the 770 boards at all when Gigabyte's 770 chipset boards (even those based on the SB600) are compatible, with a bios update, with all the am3 models.

Yep, just want to make sure the folks helping out realize they might have some glitches. Looks like Asus has BIOS updates ready.

Although, I hate to recommend a build that includes a BIOS update at all. Better to buy an updated board when available.

spanner_razor

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Aye I'm just holding off for some sort of price cut as the performance increase isn't quite justified right now. Only game that I play at the moment which benefits hugely from quadcore is GTA 4 but it's good to have a board that can be updated. Still running an x2 6000 as the phenom ones weren't great and there's not much upgrade to be had going to the 7750 kuma and i'm not sold on tri-core.

This confusion with AMD mb's is almost worse than changing the socket completely and making a previous generation obsolete . Almost .

I guess for new buyers the best way is to buy the cpu in a combo . That might be the only way to guarantee compatibility for the next few months