My pen drive has the data but not showing, but i can access from DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

chshyam20

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
My 4GB pendrive has 3.75GB of data. When I see in Mycomputer it is showing the used space as 3.75GB. But no files are visible. Even after I have selected the "View all files and folders" from Tools->Folder Options. I tried to open it from DOS operating system. There also it is not showing any thing. I remember some files and folder names. So, I typed a command CD and I have given the folder name what I remembered. Then it has changed the directory successfully. And has shown all the data in the directory.

By that I was able to recover what I remembered only. But I need the full amount of data.

Please Help me?

Solution

While in DOS did you do a dir on the drive ? Then CD on those directories and dir to see what sub directories exist...

While in DOS did you do a dir on the drive ? Then CD on those directories and dir to see what sub directories exist ?
also:
SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT ( well it is not necessary but you should ), goto command prompt and write these commands.

1. dir/ah ( list all hidden file/dir )
2. attrib -h -s -r -a *.* ( will make all of your file/dir visible )

go and find all your file/directories using Windows Explorer, copy wherever you want.

Solution

chshyam20

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
I did DIR on the drive. But no files were visible.
You have suggested me to work those two commands at command prompt.

When I tried dir/ah , it has worked i.e., it has shown the folders.

But the second command attrib -h -s -r -a *.*, the message is showing like this :

File not found - *.*

Please let me know the solution for this....

Command support varies based on DOS version running. you may have to put drive and path in front of *.*

attrib -h -s -r -a F:\foldername\*.* (for example)

To be sure, type: attrib /? to get the correct parameters available

niksahore

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

Thanks it works for me..
i never thought i should look for hidden folders :D

mdquasim

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012

can we make all pen drive folders visible by single command, if we don't the name of folders we have in pen drive?
because, i have 3-4 folders in my pen drive, but i forgot their names, so can i make them visible?

This assumes g is the pen drive letter - Unhides all files on g:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*

jsm_hrm

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

Thank you, your solution has worked

AmanZaidi

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

Hi, I'm facing the same problem & I tried to do what you suggested but I'm getting the following message:

Parameter format not correct -

My pen drive is G:. In DOS, I went to G: first & then typed in the syntax you suggested. Am I doing it right?

My screen looked like this before I hit enter:
G:\>attrib -h -s -r -a G:\Aman's Data\*.*

The drive is showing fewer files but lots memory used, but I can't see any files. :-(

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

You may not get too many replies when posting into an old thread, particularly one marked Solved but I suggest you use the CHDIR command at the command prompt
to navigate to your folder Aman's Data first and then apply the attrib command. There's no need for the > symbol - just leave a space after atttrib then go straight into -h etc. That way, there's no need to specify the folder name in the attrib command.

Any doubts, there's always the Help command - attrib /? - so show you all the available options.

maybabyx

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012

hai friend try this

1. Right click on Pen drive/Flash drive.
2. Choose "Add to Archive" and browse to your Hard disc.
3. After Archiving open the .rar file, now you can see the files which were in the pen drive.
4. Now you can extract the files to the Hard disc. Remember that you cannot extract FOLDER from the .rar file.

www.fb.com/maybabyx

Thankx

kittu449

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
Hello sir,

i am karthik
i am facing a trouble, in formatting my pen drive(Kingston 4GB).
i am getting a mess displayed as your "pen drive is write protected unable to format"
i had tried a process like type "regedit" in cmd
and to change value of writeprotect to 0
but still it is not working :(

pls mail the solution to pkarthik90@gmail.com

anurags3949m

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012

hey,
it helped me i took all above processes but yours was the best and easy and cool .
continue helping others
by the way i have one more , that is
how to unlock micro sd card otherthen s60 and fxplorer ,
i get it locked automatically some day and from that day i unable to unlock it on my x201 nokia,
its not reading some phones also,
i have an important data on it and i safely want to unlock it.
help appreciated.
thank u for the above suggestions. continue...........................................................................................

deepak kumar_08

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

Hello ,
My pendrive has the data but not showing How can i access in Wndow 7 ?
In my pen drive their are my more than 5 Gb data but when i open it shown Empty ! pls tell me the solution pls

manichandran

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
dear... while execute this command attrib -r -a -s -h *.* in command prompt it doesn't show any thing.. some times it shows F:\>
F:\>attrib-h-s-r-a*.*
'attrib-h-s-r-a*.*' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file. .

pls do the needful dear.....

manichandaran was trying to do conflicting tasks one after the other. No-one replied because this is an old thread which was marked as Solved years ago. Your response was seven weeks late and wouldn't work either. Three reasons to close this thread now.

Status
Not open for further replies.