nolandpete

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
I have Gigabyte ga-ma790fxt-UD5P with AMD 955 processor. I have installed Xp pro on it. When I check control panel/ SYStem I see 1,600 GHz.

I also have installed the Belarc advisor also telling me that the speed of the processor is 1.60 GHz. Is that normal?

Should I not see 3.2 GHz?

Thank You

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
One thing all users should do is save EVERYTHING available from the mfg site on their motherboard. Save the webpages themselves, with all files. Save all the Downloads and BIOS, even if you don't plan to use them.

Your board's webpage is here:
http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?&ProductID=3007

It says that BIOS F5 should cover that CPU in the CPU list, but both F6 and F7 are adding CPUs. I'd go ahead and jump to F7 if you don't have it now. DO NOT use a Windows-based process for updating the BIOS. Use either the floppy boot or the easy way is within the BIOS itself. If you don't have a floppy, you can put the BIOS file on a thumb drive, should find it fine.

One thing you might try now and should do after BIOS update, is choose Optimized Defaults in the BIOS. Then go back and change things the way you want. This might fix the problem itself.

nolandpete

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
This what Belarcs gives me:
Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F3 01/16/2009

so I should upgrade the bios or change the bus speed?
Thanks for the help

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
F3 doesn't support your CPU for sure.

Go to F7 revision and it should fix the issue.

I recommend a program called CPUz from www.cpuid.com - simple and most here use it so are familar with its results.

nolandpete

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
I went to F6 and I saw 3.21 GHz. I used @bios utility.

I also increased the speed to 3.35GHz using AMD utility.

I have a question was I actually running at 1.6 GHz?

Thanks

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
It wasn't.

pat, the Gigabyte page clearly said that BIOS version F5 was required to support your CPU. We know you had version F3. There's no doubt that without F5, your processor was not gonna work!!! Also meant your MB was sitting around a warehouse for over 6 months, unusual.

So, you updated and all is well. And I assume CoolNQuiet's still happily running?

BTW, after a BIOS make sure you choose Optimized Defaults in BIOS at least once - it's needed to set all parameters properly. After that, adjust as desired.

Relax... Be Happy... Your problem is solved and so easily!

nolandpete

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
I am trying to inctrease the speed wit AMD overdrive but seems revert to 3.21 when I rerboot.

I guess the changes made by the utility do not stick after you reboot. i know that after i speed up the cpu I see it with CPUID utility.

Thanks

bilbat

Splendid
This does not surprise me - you want to entrust anything as important to the overall funcionality of your system to the BIOS, not a utility that inserts 'ring zero' components into windoze! OverDrive, EasyTune, whatever - if they work at all, they're OK to test some basic aspects of an overclock, but never for long-term use...

pat

Expert

this is not my cpu..You don't know my BIOS version....And my processor is working without F5....How do I know that? I'm not the original poster... I don't have this CPU and my motherboard is a Biostar with different BIOS number.. :non:

Usually, If the computer boot without having the proper BIOS version, then you may have a message stating unknow processor. But it will work anyway. Having a really obsolete BIOS would have prevented the system to boot first place.

If it was working this way, then everything was ok. Cool and quiet was doing it's job and the CPU was running half speed. My system behave like this. Updating the BIOS may have disable CnQ, so it is now working full power on idle.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
sorry Pat for saying "your" instead of "his"

The Gigabyte boards I'm familar with all default to CoolNQuiet being set to Auto. I'm quite sure that all do. This is how mine is set right now as I often forget to turn it off. There is no Enabled position, just Auto and Disabled.

I've never known this it cause a program like CPUz to not reveal the proper MHz for an AMD CPU.

We know for sure that the OP had the wrong BIOS installed - one that would not properly support his CPU. He had no option but to upgrade the BIOS. He updated the BIOS, the CPU was supported and all problems are fixed. I'm satisfied.

Relax... Be Happy...