"source filter" error when trying to playback streaming au..

May 10, 2005 2:40:03 PM

I have a Dell Axim X30 running Win Mobile 2003 SE with built-in wireless and
a Dell desktop running XP Home SP2. My goal is to stream a variety of .mp3
and .wma music files from my desktop to my Axim via my in-house wireless
network. I have downloaded, installed, and configured Windows Media Encoder
9 on my desktop, and it appears to stream just fine. I can stream from my
desktop to my desktop as a test with no problems. However, when I try to
play the desktop stream by entering the URL in WMP 9 on my Pocket PC, I get
the following error, "The source filter for this file can not be found." As
best I can tell, the problem is decoding the incoming stream, but I'm new to
all this and it could be that I've not set up the outgoing stream correctly.
I can't find an applicable help in the troubleshooting sections of the
Windows Media Player web sites. Any ideas?
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 2:35:49 AM

Globetrotter wrote:
[...]
> As best I can tell, the problem is decoding the incoming stream, but
> I'm new to all this and it could be that I've not set up the outgoing
> stream correctly. I can't find an applicable help in the
> troubleshooting sections of the Windows Media Player web sites. Any
> ideas?

Can't really help you with that, though I'd guess there's a codec setting
somewhere you need to change to WMA9. However if you want to investigate
alternatives to the windows media route, I use Winamp and Shoutcast server
to stream on my home LAN, and GSPlayer to receive on the Pocket PC, that
setup works really well for me. Plus you can listen to all the Shoutcast
stations on the internet with GSPlayer.

Tony
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 8:21:31 PM

If you don't want to pay for Resco File Explorer use Total Commander. It
works fine for me for access to shares on a desktop and the ability to open
them directly including mp3's using GSPlayer.

MikeW

news:D C90E066-5C8C-4880-8A50-0E055BD15476@microsoft.com...