adrian_63

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010
hi there guys..hopping to get a bit of help in overclocking my pc and hope that some one may have a bios template for my system...i have tinkerd with the bclk and cpu Multiplier clock but not voltages..and from what i have read voltages and other bios tweaks make it stable not just tinkering with bclk and muliplier.. but cant get a stable settup for 3.8gig and i dont really want to run it higher as im not watercooling..plus would like to get a bit more out of my ram to bring them up to decent speed to suit the overclock and any other features that should be enabled or dissabled in bios... here is my system specs Gigabyte-EX58-Extreme with bios version f12 i7 965 extreme cpu windows 7 64 bit ultimate 3x2 corsair cm3x2g1600c9 x2 ati xfx hd 5770 overclocked versions haf 932 full tower case Noctua NH-U12P cpu cooler highpower 850 watt psu i have googled for hours and hours trying to find a template and found loads on i7 920 cpu,s but all of them are going for 4gig marks or over...plus trying to copy theres gives me bsod...and ive guessed that the 920 with other gigabyte boards would be diff to mine hence what could be good for them wont be good for me..so i thought id come ask the experts in this forum for help..... i made a thead of this weeks ago with no real help on a reply

acer0169

Distinguished
1) Give an informative thread title to attract people that can actually help with your problem.

2) Use paragraphs to break up the text and make it easier for the reader to look through it.

3) I don't actually think there is a question at all in your block of text..

Regardless of this..

Voltage does help stabilize CPU overclocks. You shouldn't just put your CPU at the speed you're hoping to get to and then try to get it stable though.. you should work your way up from a lower speed. Try setting your clock to 3.4GHz and then running Prime95 (with round off checking on) and see if you can pass for 1-2 hours. If so, up your clock until you're unstable.

Once you're unstable, you can either increase voltage or lower the clock to get stable again.

Only increase your voltage a little at a time, and each time booting into Windows and using Prime to test if you're stable.

Once you're stable again, you can either keep that speed or increase again. As you increase you'll have to increase the voltage as you go to keep it steady.

Eventually you'll get to a point where no amount of voltage can get your stable and that's past your max overclock, now you need to dial the clock back to when it was last stable and that's your top speed.

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
With an Extreme CPU I would just increase the multiplier and leave bclk alone - thats a personal preference btw. Bclk increases the overall system clock and you have to deal with those issues (more of an advanced oc course).

You should be able to get close to 4GHz without adding voltage to the CPU. Adding voltage will increase temperatures.

But do as acer said - slowly up the multiplier until either heat or stability become too much to deal with. The 965 generates a lot of heat.