A clash between DDR3 system RAM and GDDR2?

skriblzz

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
Hello, recently I'm about to purchase an HDX18. An option that they JUST discontinued was to be able to pick a Nvidia Geforce GT 130m (DDR3) graphics option. So with that graphics card gone, I am only left with the 9600M (DDR2). If I try to pick DDR3 system RAM it has a conflict with the 9600M. Now my question is why is this? Could I not have DDR3 system RAM and a GDDR2 GPU? Will those two actually clash with each other? Because if I am correct, couldn't I just buy the DDR3 RAM separately, install it, and have to work just fine with my DDR2 GPU?

Thanks in advance!

skriblzz

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
Yes, it is fact. If necessary I will send you a picture. Or you can go to "shopping.hp.com" to see it, too. I will say this, it is rather annoying that HP will not allow me to get DDR3 system RAM when I pick a DDR2 9600M.

I think that you're a bit confused. It looks like you are referring to a laptop, e.g., the Pavilion dv5-1123ef, that use the 9600M GPU and it happens to use DDR2 memory; therefore HP can't sell it with DDR3 memory and that makes a lot of sense. If you want a laptop with DDR3, then select one and you'll get whatever GPU it uses. It makes no measurable performance difference if it uses DDR2 or DDR3.

skriblzz

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009

No, I am talking about the HDX18. The HDX18 allows you to pick system RAM based off of the GPU you pick. So for example, if I pick 6GB DDR3 option it is for the Nvidia Geforce GT 130m (Which is discontinued). If I want 4GB DDR2 RAM it is for the 9600M GT. HP will not allow me to get DDR3 system memory because it aparently "Conflicts" with the Nvidia Geforce 9600M that is apparently for DDR2. So there is a DDR3 and DDR2 option for the HDX18.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
The conflict is not with the hardware. The conflict is an error in the Dell site's programming designed to keep you from buying the wrong RAM for your system. Dell should be able to handle the error on the phone, overriding the error to allow the purchase. This is assuming you get someone at Dell with brain cells.

The other conflict is why someone who can find this site would be shopping for a new desktop computer at Dell...

skriblzz

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009

I would never buy a Dell. o_O I'm buying HP.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
LOL, ok... but... same applies.

The thinking is that most here are involved in building systems from components. There's a natural "lack of fondness" for the major "box" sellers. A lot of this comes from the lack of true tech support provided by these companies. For example, you can read the typical HP, Dell, Compaq, etc manual and hardly even know your computer has a BIOS - and forget about the details and how to set them.

Heck, someone makes that motherboard in the HP - chances are you'll never know. Or it'll be from some odd company without a website. And if it is by a major mfg, that mfg won't support it - so you remain stuck with HP and can't ever look elsewhere for answers.

And when it comes time to say, upgrade your RAM, you don't know what you have now, because HP didn't tell you. You don't have the specs for what you have and aren't given any hints about how to make it perform at its best. At best, they might tell you what they offer to replace or upgrade it, but again, you're buying blind - you'll be paying premium prices for often slower and older parts.

Let's take a look at the DDR2 and DDR3 RAM you're buying:

First question I'd have is what speed is it? Is the DDR 800MHz? Is it 1066? And is it really doggy 800 with a CL of 7? Who knows, you aren't told and they don't know.

What it will be is the cheapest RAM they can find.

The same's true for every component in your system...

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
And let's look again at that screen shot. As I read it, the system is gonna come with 4GBs of DDR3 RAM. If you pay $200 more, they'll give you one more 2GB module for a total of 6GB. Now, all over the country, you can buy a 2GB DDR3 module for about $50. Heck, the most expensive, fastest single module offered at NewEgg is less than $65.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147%201052129233%201052307859&name=2GB

Heck, you can buy a whole set of 3 - 2GB modules that are faster than sin and matched for Triple-channel use for under $175.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147%201052129233%201052345114%201052429371%201052528354&name=7

But we don't even know whether your system as set up supports dual-channel or triple-channel RAM - and that's a big deal in terms of performance. Clearly they aren't worried about this because they offer you choices of 4GB or 6GB or 8GB. Now, 4GB and 8GB are useless if you support triple channel. And 6GBs on a dual-channel system would cripple the memory controllers abilities.

So..... making sense now? And that's just the RAM.

skriblzz

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
You do make an interesting argument. The only reason I'm buying a laptop from HP is because it's a laptop. If a desktop I would just make it myself. But what with dealing with integrated graphics in Laptops, I can't build my own.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
The other conflict is why someone who can find this site would be shopping for a new desktop computer at Dell...
You quoted me but didn't mention the laptop vs desktop thing!

I read your post above as saying you weren't buying a laptop. Yes, makes complete sense.

Of course, everything I said about the RAM still applies. Does raise the prices some - but if you want to investigate that for yourself, go for it. Means SODIMM instead of normal DRAM

But I would find out what brand and spec of RAM I'm paying for.

And little things like - how many RAM slots it has - if they're gonna fill them or use 4GB modules, etc...

skriblzz

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009

Yeah, I understand that, I'll ask on the forum that revolves around this one laptop, haha. Thanks for the heads up.