Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Blue Screen on new built system help!!!

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 23, 2009 9:59:50 PM

Hi, I have built a new system 2 days before which consist of c2q q9400 and ga-g31m-es2c and 2 ocz 800mhz 2gb ram and wd 320gb hdd and samsung dvd superwritemaster and nvidia 9400gt gpu. I am recieving a blue screen after some time i turn on the system please help as soon as possible. Thanks in advance
April 24, 2009 4:24:01 AM

Did you set your ram timings and voltages to the specs that the manufacturer provided? Your motherboard will set your ram at default voltages and timings, which may cause your system to BSOD if your ram cannot work at those specs.
April 24, 2009 6:30:32 AM

Yes, more info would be helpful for a full diagnosis.
Are you checking your temperatures?
Related resources
April 24, 2009 8:46:31 AM

Run Memtest overnight. You probably want the CD version (ISO, ZIP). Burn this and boot. If it bypasses the CD you need to change the Boot order in your BIOS. It should read CD before the hard drive (mine is floppy->CD->HD), newer ones should be (USB->CD->HD).

http://www.memtest.org/

This isn't a foolproof test but catches 99% of bad memory.

You should try a single stick as well (see the motherboard manual for the correct slot).

It could also be overheating due to a poorly mounted CPU or CPU HSF. You can find, or may even already have software to monitor your CPU temperature to see if it's rising. You may be able to monitor it from BIOS. If it's jumping up to 60C you have issues. I don't know your CPU's exact fail temperature but my CPU idles at 38C and it's limit is 65C.

There are CPU overclocking programs and general stress programs you can run. If you run orthos Prime 2004 (dual-core edition) and your CPU doesn't fail within 2 minutes it's probably not the problem as this would quickly heat it up. There are free 3DMark programs around too.

I got various BSOD which turned about to be bad RAM. It failed on average once a day, but never lasted 2 full days. The RAM passed Memtest. I only figured out it was the RAM by getting other RAM and using it without problems.

Basic troubleshooting involves swapping parts or software. I'd even unplug the DVD drive and test without it just to be thorough.

You can also boot from a Linux "Live" CD and see if it crashes. If it doesn't it doesn't help too much, though if it doesn it's almost certainly bad hardware.]
April 24, 2009 12:12:00 PM

buzznut said:
Yes, more info would be helpful for a full diagnosis.
Are you checking your temperatures?

Ya i am checking my temperatures its idle is 22c and maximum which i have seen is 38c
April 24, 2009 12:13:37 PM

photonboy said:
Run Memtest overnight. You probably want the CD version (ISO, ZIP). Burn this and boot. If it bypasses the CD you need to change the Boot order in your BIOS. It should read CD before the hard drive (mine is floppy->CD->HD), newer ones should be (USB->CD->HD).

http://www.memtest.org/

This isn't a foolproof test but catches 99% of bad memory.

You should try a single stick as well (see the motherboard manual for the correct slot).

It could also be overheating due to a poorly mounted CPU or CPU HSF. You can find, or may even already have software to monitor your CPU temperature to see if it's rising. You may be able to monitor it from BIOS. If it's jumping up to 60C you have issues. I don't know your CPU's exact fail temperature but my CPU idles at 38C and it's limit is 65C.

There are CPU overclocking programs and general stress programs you can run. If you run orthos Prime 2004 (dual-core edition) and your CPU doesn't fail within 2 minutes it's probably not the problem as this would quickly heat it up. There are free 3DMark programs around too.

I got various BSOD which turned about to be bad RAM. It failed on average once a day, but never lasted 2 full days. The RAM passed Memtest. I only figured out it was the RAM by getting other RAM and using it without problems.

Basic troubleshooting involves swapping parts or software. I'd even unplug the DVD drive and test without it just to be thorough.

You can also boot from a Linux "Live" CD and see if it crashes. If it doesn't it doesn't help too much, though if it doesn it's almost certainly bad hardware.]

My idle temp is 22C and maximum is 38C. I have run memtest and it passed
April 24, 2009 12:15:23 PM

BSOD appears on windows vista but on xp it shows 3 gb of ram out of 4 gb. Is this due to supporting limitation of MOBO because it supports maximum of 4 gb.
April 24, 2009 2:35:14 PM

xthekidx said:
Did you set your ram timings and voltages to the specs that the manufacturer provided? Your motherboard will set your ram at default voltages and timings, which may cause your system to BSOD if your ram cannot work at those specs.

how to set the timing and voltages?Its on auto mode. I have 2 ocz ddr2 800 2gb rams its part number is OCZ2G8002G. Please tell me the timmings and voltages. I have GA-G31M-ES2C mobo.
April 24, 2009 6:46:02 PM

Check the side of your ram, it should say what voltage and timings to use, then go into the bios menu under DRAM clocks or DRAM Timing Control or something like that and adjust the timings and voltages to match.
April 24, 2009 6:52:13 PM

Some Gigabyte motherboards require you to press "CTRL + F1" when you get into the BIOS to unlock some settings.
April 24, 2009 7:20:37 PM

What about your drivers? All of them need to be updated. This includes not only your video card drivers, but chipset drivers, audio drivers etc.

You might want to check the dump file and event viewer for clues as well.
April 25, 2009 4:34:14 AM

3GB vs 4GB

Windows 32-bit is limited to 4GB of addressable space which INCLUDES your RAM. The more memory your video card has the less you can access from the System RAM. 3GB is just fine for 32-bit don't worry about it.

I highly recommend you try a SINGLE ram stick (see the motherboard manual for the correct slot). Run until satisified no errors or you get errors then switch to the other stick.

If one stick gives BSOD but not the other then there's your answer. If both do, or do not give erors it's a little more complicated.
April 25, 2009 6:05:04 AM

photonboy said:
3GB vs 4GB

Windows 32-bit is limited to 4GB of addressable space which INCLUDES your RAM. The more memory your video card has the less you can access from the System RAM. 3GB is just fine for 32-bit don't worry about it.

I highly recommend you try a SINGLE ram stick (see the motherboard manual for the correct slot). Run until satisified no errors or you get errors then switch to the other stick.

If one stick gives BSOD but not the other then there's your answer. If both do, or do not give erors it's a little more complicated.

it gives BSOD on vista. Then i have changed my OS to xp and it is working fine till now. Is it graphic card problem?
April 25, 2009 7:11:49 PM

Thanks for help. But problem still exist. It gives error message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. What does it mean? What are causes for this type of error? And How to correct this type of error?
Is this ram problem or CPU is not installed properly? Or some thing else. I am checking my temperatures regularly CPU temp is 22C when idle and 30C when using normal applications. Please help. Thanks in advance
April 25, 2009 11:25:00 PM

furqan0096 said:
Thanks for help. But problem still exist. It gives error message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. What does it mean? What are causes for this type of error? And How to correct this type of error?
Is this ram problem or CPU is not installed properly? Or some thing else. I am checking my temperatures regularly CPU temp is 22C when idle and 30C when using normal applications. Please help. Thanks in advance


What ever computer your using right now if it has a DVD Burner get some CD RW's. Then go to the manufacturer's website for your hardware. Mobo and GPU, then find there drivers list. Put the cd in and download and save to disc's the drivers that you need. They should be the most updated drivers availible. If you have your OS cd then reinstall and then take the disc's you made and install your most up to date drivers for your hardware. Reboot after each driver is installed.

I had a bad Audio driver that came with my mobo cause my hair to fall out :pt1cable:  After I did these steps all is working perfectly! It's worth a shot.

Good luck and I feel your pain!
April 26, 2009 12:02:55 AM

My BSOD was RAM that passed Memtest.

Memtest isn't perfect.

use one stick at a time and see what happens.
April 26, 2009 8:15:19 AM

photonboy said:
My BSOD was RAM that passed Memtest.

Memtest isn't perfect.

use one stick at a time and see what happens.

I have tried this but it gives BSOD on both sticks. And it passes the memtest. What should I do now?
April 26, 2009 8:16:47 AM

jerkinjohn said:
What ever computer your using right now if it has a DVD Burner get some CD RW's. Then go to the manufacturer's website for your hardware. Mobo and GPU, then find there drivers list. Put the cd in and download and save to disc's the drivers that you need. They should be the most updated drivers availible. If you have your OS cd then reinstall and then take the disc's you made and install your most up to date drivers for your hardware. Reboot after each driver is installed.

I had a bad Audio driver that came with my mobo cause my hair to fall out :pt1cable:  After I did these steps all is working perfectly! It's worth a shot.

Good luck and I feel your pain!

I have updated drivers installed but the problem still exist.
April 26, 2009 8:20:43 AM

BSOD mostly appears when playing games. After 5 to 10 min of game starting i got this screen and my pc restarts. Help!!!!!!!!
Thanks for each help
April 26, 2009 7:10:12 PM

What are your GPU temperatures? it sounds like your GPU is overheating.
April 27, 2009 5:39:35 AM

Most certainly a hardware fault of:

1) graphics card
2) motherboard
3) Power supply

Unfortunately, it's difficult to test without parts to swap. If you can borrow a video card get one of the same or higher power draw or you may not prove your PSU is not at fault.

Unfortunately, the motherboard as the fault is determined by eliminating everything else.
April 27, 2009 7:11:19 PM

xthekidx said:
What are your GPU temperatures? it sounds like your GPU is overheating.

My GPU temp is 44C
April 27, 2009 7:16:57 PM

furqan0096 said:
My GPU temp is 44C

That is a normal idle temp...what about when you are in the middle of a game?
April 28, 2009 11:31:59 AM

xthekidx said:
That is a normal idle temp...what about when you are in the middle of a game?

Its about 45C-47C
!