Your question

I7 build suggestions/comments plz

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 23, 2009 10:08:27 PM

New Member of this site, but i usually come here for help. Anyway its time to upgrade the PC and im relatively new to building my own computers(I built my last one, but it was a low to mid range rig).

I already have some parts picked out and would like some feedback on 1. if they are compatible and 2. if there is another product that is clearly a better choice.

This rig will be used the most by gaming. That being said i really dont mind going above and beyond the gaming minimum. But please if there is a part that is going to A. Limit my gaming or B. im going to use way less power than the item has let me know of an alternative. And explanations are always appreciated. Thanks in advance

Case: Thermaltake Spedo Advance 199$ from newegg

Mobo: Foxconn Bloodrage 265$ from newegg

CPU: i7 920 279$ from newegg
**also on the CPU how is the fan that comes with it? i have a Thermaltake V1 If the stock CPU fan is lacking would this work or should i go ahead and pick up a new one?**

RAM: Mushkin DDR3 1600 209$ from newegg

Video card: GTX 295 550$ from tigerdirect (sold out at newegg)

PSU: I already own OCZ GameXStream just need to know if this will be enough.

I have already purchased Vista 64 Ultimate and a Seagate 500GB HD

Put this post together at work in between actually working so if i left anything out please ask and ill respond as quick as i can. id like to order this thing as soon as possible. ive noticed several products ive picked out selling out.

More about : build suggestions comments plz

April 23, 2009 10:29:05 PM

I would suggest getting the CPU from microcenter (229.99 from there).

The motherboard is OK, but I'm partial to the Asus p6t - I think you can get it for 239.99 at microcenter too.

I think you'll be OK with the PSU, but I've heard that you can't do SLI (or crossfire) and have a quad (needing the other 4 pin connecter for the CPU, which shares something with the 6 pin for the extra GPU - I've read this being a problem).

I would suggest if you do get a PSU go with something of similar wattage, but by PC Power and Cooling, Antec, or Corsair.

I'd also suggest getting a Western Digital 640 GB HDD - great performance and only $70 ($75 for the Black edition).

I think newegg is great. I love shopping there, but if you can save some $$$, why not, right?

I just checked on the GTX 295 - check out microcenter again - only $500 there.

http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?pro...

If you aren't going to use the extra features in Ultimate, you can just get 64 bit Home Premium - compare the editions and see if you really need the extra features in Ultimate.

If you think you need that case and want to spend that money, cool. That seems like a lot for a case for me. I got my Antec 900 and love it for under $100. I looked at the case, and it looks really nice, so if you like it and have the $$$, go for it.

I think the RAM you chose is expensive and you might want to choose something less costly with the same performance

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=P...

There are some good kits for less (check the voltage and latency (lower is better)).

Those are just my suggestions. Hope they help you out.

Related resources
April 23, 2009 10:39:34 PM

Yea i dont think i really need ultimate, but it was a really good combo deal i got for the HD and Vista so i already actually own it
April 23, 2009 10:49:16 PM

I have the stock fan right now and waiting for an aftermarket heatsink to get shipped to me.

The instalation of the fan was allright except I have a problem after I tried reapplying thermal paste. The last plastic pin was hard to get into so I had to use a bit of force.

Then I tried my motherboard not control the fans so it would use as must airflow as possible, and it makes this annoying bzzz sound, and if I put it in standard or turbo it would do the same thing during games... so I decided to use the silent option.

Seriously get a decent aftermarket cooler and don't get the same headache as I have here.

Read this review and decided which fan you want to choose from

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/880/11/
April 23, 2009 11:05:39 PM

+1 for huron's suggestions.
April 24, 2009 3:20:59 AM

huron said:
I would suggest getting the CPU from microcenter (229.99 from there).

Ive never used Microcenter so i may just not be looking in the right area. i went to microcenter.com and searched for i7 and did not turn up any results that were actually CPUs. i also tried clicking on the processor link under Computer Parts and the most expensive CPUs on there were the Phenom IIs. Maybe they dont show up anymore if they are sold out?

huron said:
I think you'll be OK with the PSU, but I've heard that you can't do SLI (or crossfire) and have a quad (needing the other 4 pin connecter for the CPU, which shares something with the 6 pin for the extra GPU - I've read this being a problem).

I would suggest if you do get a PSU go with something of similar wattage, but by PC Power and Cooling, Antec, or Corsair.

Well at the moment i dont plan on getting another 295. I guess i could plan ahead a little in case i decide to SLI or Crossfire at a later time. Maybe a CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W?

huron said:
I just checked on the GTX 295 - check out microcenter again - only $500 there.

http://microcenter.com/single_prod [...] id=0304575

Awesome! guess ill find out how good Microcenter is :p 

huron said:
If you think you need that case and want to spend that money, cool. That seems like a lot for a case for me. I got my Antec 900 and love it for under $100. I looked at the case, and it looks really nice, so if you like it and have the $$$, go for it.

I'll look around at the cases again. ive heard of ppl having trouble with getting things to fit so i wanted to go with a full tower and i want to be sure to keep it cool, but ill look around a little more.

huron said:
I think the RAM you chose is expensive and you might want to choose something less costly with the same performance

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 24%3A29371

I picked that RAM because it had a 6 CAS timing. None of the cheaper sticks had that timing that I found. Im under the impression that that timing is the most important for gaming so i was trying to get CAS of 6. if having a timing of 7 isnt that big of difference (or it its just a matter of OC it let me know plz

So far the help has been awesome. Any other suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated!
April 24, 2009 3:44:53 AM

The i7 with it's integrated memory controller does a fine job of feeding the cpu what it needs. It turns out that almost any ram works well. The difference in actual performance, like FPS (vs. synthetic memory benchmarks) between the slowest and fastest ram is minimal, perhaps 1-3%. There is little value in faster than DDR3-1600, or faster timings. Even ddr3-1333 works well. Spend the $ elsewhere.

The most important factor in gaming is the power of your vga configuration.

A good case is the Antec 900-2.
April 24, 2009 2:36:27 PM

Here you go:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

(920 link).

Hope that helps again.

I love newegg, but love that I have a microcenter near me (45 min, but near my parents).

They are always fantastic and have CPU price guarantee (internet match, I believe).

Good luck...if you think the RAM is worth all the extra $$$ for those timings, go for it. Yes, better timings are better, but that's a pretty steep curve.
April 24, 2009 10:24:56 PM

A good case is the Antec 900-2. geofelt +1
Also a good case is the Coolermaster Haf 932 and please do NOT get the Bloodrage MB. A great MB is the Asus P6T, I have the deluxe version and LOVE it...no drama just good clean running!! From the review the BoodRage is not a good board. Get a Asus or evga or pretty much any other board but that one...one less headache...look up the reviews and pick, but please look at the reviews!!!
April 25, 2009 2:58:25 AM

Man that memory timming is AWESOME!!! but is it worth the price??? Might be....who knows?? I have the corsiar at 8-8-8-24, and it works like a charm, but that timing...WOW, but for 134 more...man I can't say!!!!!! but bleeding edge is bleeding edge...damn the cost.....I personally would get the g-skill and be happy, but I didn't know that when I built mine.....hindsight is 20/20
April 25, 2009 9:30:20 AM

it would be nice for running apps, for paying that kind of price might as well just buy an SSD should improve some things.
April 25, 2009 10:19:07 PM

Just saw this today on tiger direct. XION 1000W PSU

Its discounted 100$...which is awesome, but makes me a little skeptical. Wondering if anyone had any opinions on this PSU
April 25, 2009 11:54:33 PM

Ok im trying to take some advice on this so here is a new list of parts.

Case : COOLER HAF 932

Mobo: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2

CPU: i7 920 - Im not anywhere near a Micro Center and the i7s look like they are all in store pick up only.

RAM: OCZ 6GB DDR3 1600 - nice deal

Video Card: GTX 295

PSU: Depending on what ppl say about the XION 1000W i may get that or a Corsair 850W

CPU Fan: From the responses I definitely need an after market fan. But i didn't see any indication on if the fan i already is going to work? Thermaltake V1 - that is the one i have on my current PC
April 26, 2009 1:43:57 AM

after looking over the post linking the CPU cooling fans. I think im going to go with Noctuna NH-U12P
April 26, 2009 4:44:13 AM

Haf 932 is nice but check out the Coolermaster 840. For $200 it has the best reviews accross the board :sol: