Can i do this and would it be safe

nero25

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Can i remove a molex connector (plastic part) and cover the clips with electric tape. Right now i dont use any molex connectorsbut If i ever wanna use the molex connectors, i wouldi take the electric tape off and connect the plastic part back on.

so im asking would it work?

Do you think i would be able to put the molex plastic part back on?

Is it safe?

tkgclimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
The wires/plugs come out all the time on crappy connectors and all they seem to do is shut the device off that they were pluged into to, if you did that all it would be like that connector not plugged into anything. Just make sure that the seperate wires/plugs don't touch because that could cause a problem. which leads to the final question

WHY?

You can, though I don't know why you would want to. For one, inserting those wires back into molex plugs and making sure they stay there is a pain in the butt. Two, if you don't isolate the wires properly then you could very well cause a short that takes out your PSU and the rest of the system with it. Just something for you to think about.

DeeTee_uk

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
Don't do it.
An unconnected molex isn't going to cause any issues. My case is full of the things. However, an unconnected bare wire, that is an issue. If that touches anything, half your pc is going pop. You'll be lucky if you don't give yourself a shock too. These things are made to hang loose if necessary. Stripping wires and covering them with tape is just asking for trouble.

Yeah, I have to ask why also. Why would you want to go through the hassle of taking the molex connector off only to have to struggle to re-install it when you want to connect to a device?

Molex connectors are made to hang loose in the case. If you are paranoid about it making contact and shorting something out, just put the electrical tape over the molex connector itself. Or, if you really want to get fancy and have some money to spend, go to the local computer store and buy molex connector caps.

Yes, you read that right; they actually make caps that cover the exposed end of the molex connector.

Mazel Tov!