Strange startup problem

jberardi31885

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
Hi, everyone. About 2 weeks ago i built my first system. Everything seemed to be running great but it seems that one out of about every 3 start ups it seems like my system slows down to the point that i cant even do anything. I also notice thick black edges on the corners of my screen. After it seems like it finishes loading i click the windows button, which takes forever to open, and slowly get to the restart button. After it restarts everything is fine and run great. I'm wondering if its the videocard i currently have in my system, I'm using an old nVidia FX5500 until i order my new card next week. Could this possibly causing this problem? If that's not it i have no idea where to even begin trtying to fix it.

Here is my system specs
Intel Core i7 920 - overclocked to 3.2
Asus P6T deluxe V2
Mushkin DDR3 1600 - 6 GB
WD BC 1TB HD
Scythe Mugen 2 CPU cooler
nVidia FX5500 (soon to be GTX 285 or 295)
Enermax Revolution 1050 watt PSU
LG DVD burner
Windows Vista 64bit Home

Hopefully someone can help me figure this out. Even though its just a nuisance right now i just built this thing and im over $2k already with plans for more and this problem is annoying the hell out of me. Thx in advance everyone.

r_manic

Administrator
It could be your video, like you said, but I'm also wondering if your motherboard has anything to do with it. It could also be a power issue; a faulty PSU could also be the cause of your random restarts. Hope this helps!

jberardi31885

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
Thats what I'm hoping it is by next week i'll have a new card. I don't think its the PSU because it doesnt happen each time i start up. It's only about 1 in 3-5 starts. As for the motherboard i'm not sure, everthing seems to be working great. I'm not getting random restarts. Everything is actually running great. I can't ask for anything to be faster other than the HDD which i plan on replacing with a SSD as my main drive for my OS and my games.
thanks for the replies guys. anyone else ever experience anything like this?

r_manic

Administrator
Random restarting happened to me (around the frequency you've cited actually) on an oooollllldddd, non-overclocked system a couple of years ago. My no-name PSU was fluctuating like heck, and I was lucky enough to swap it out before it did any major damage to my system. :sweat: