Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Rosewill
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
July 28, 2009 6:44:22 AM

Which power supply is better?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I don't know a lot about PSUs but looking at the specs they look very similar. The only thing that I see different is that the Rosewill PSU runs at a continuos 630W while the other one says it can go anywhere between 501W and 600W. So which one is better or will perform better/

Thanks

More about : power supply

July 28, 2009 6:57:31 AM

The OCZ is better out of the two. But IMO I'd buy neither. I'd go with a Corsair or Antec or PCP&C.

Even though the Rosewill looks nice, I'd never buy one :p 
a b ) Power supply
July 28, 2009 7:26:19 AM

The OCZ is a far better one...It is a 80+ certified PSU and is of very good quality...
And for that price, it is a very good option...
Related resources
July 28, 2009 9:48:33 AM

Definitely OCZ. I may accept Rosewill's as case (not quite) but not as PSU.
a b ) Power supply
July 28, 2009 1:42:58 PM

The OCZ is the better of those 2. I'd recommend a Corsair VX550 instead.
July 28, 2009 1:54:37 PM

ocz, and those ppl whom recommends corsairs, please why the hell are you guys saying its better??? esp to people in some locations where OCZ has a local warehouse (local as in the same country) and corsair don't....

I just can't get this whole thing about corsairs... I got a HX1000w because it uses a dual PSU design so it is far crazier than a single psu design and that the design has 1500W versions of the thing (not offered by corsair) by CWT for other brands in place. Now, is there a concluding evidence that corsair is just better as a brand, or at least a per case deal where the OCZ here is inferior than that of a VX550?
a b ) Power supply
July 28, 2009 4:52:52 PM

theholylancer said:
ocz, and those ppl whom recommends corsairs, please why the hell are you guys saying its better??? esp to people in some locations where OCZ has a local warehouse (local as in the same country) and corsair don't....

I just can't get this whole thing about corsairs... I got a HX1000w because it uses a dual PSU design so it is far crazier than a single psu design and that the design has 1500W versions of the thing (not offered by corsair) by CWT for other brands in place. Now, is there a concluding evidence that corsair is just better as a brand, or at least a per case deal where the OCZ here is inferior than that of a VX550?

What has the warehouse location got to do with the quality of the PSU?

Most OCZ PSUs are mediocre. They use lower quality OEMs (in this case Sirtec) which means lower quality components. The Corsair is rated at 50C versus 25C for the OCZ, which means the actual power available at operating temperature is far less for the OCZ.
July 28, 2009 5:35:25 PM

ware house location = less RMA time and cost when it does break (MIR too if they handle it in house, which OCZ does as they asked for a canadian address for my new OCZ DDR3 ram rather than my HX1000w's rebate which is USA), and I seen both OCZ break and corsair break irl and in forums (saw irl for OCZ was ram their high voltage low latency DDR1s that I put in 2.3V through for some kickass timing and speeds, corsair was old PSU, both RMAed correctly, OCZ took a trip to their toronto warehouse/thing/datacenter/interview place and corsair took longer as they only got USA location)

now about the rated temp and lower quality OEM, I'm interested in those, can you cite the links for rated temps by either third party or first party confirming those data, and a list of corsair and OCZ's OEM/ODMs they use for PSU?

EDIT: I can provide rated data for the HX1000w at least, but not OCZ, so If you got them from links... maybe I'll go read hardware secrets again with an emphasis on ocz and see what I come up with
a b ) Power supply
July 28, 2009 5:45:32 PM

If everyone buys corsair then whoz gonna buy OCZ? :whistle: 

Anyways it depends on your luck also.Even the corsair ones can go down in a month.
I have had generics which lasted 6 years.

I would say buy OCZ if you are on a budget and the price suits you.
a b ) Power supply
July 28, 2009 5:59:58 PM

yes it is.
But can you post the specs of your rig.
Maybe you don't need that kind of a PSU.
July 28, 2009 6:10:32 PM

I'm going to build a new PC
Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz
Asus M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX
HIS HD 4850
PNY 4GB DDR3 1333
WD 640GB Hard Drive
Cooler Master RC-790 case
Vista 64bit
Regular DVD reader

I do plan to add another video card in crossfire and some extra fans to the case, also I plan on adding another hard drive.
I was looking at does power supplies mainly because I'm in a tight budget and they are modular so its easier to organize the cables.
July 28, 2009 6:10:40 PM

I'm going to build a new PC
Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz
Asus M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX
HIS HD 4850
PNY 4GB DDR3 1333
WD 640GB Hard Drive
Cooler Master RC-790 case
Vista 64bit
Regular DVD reader

I do plan to add another video card in crossfire and some extra fans to the case, also I plan on adding another hard drive.
I was looking at does power supplies mainly because I'm in a tight budget and they are modular so its easier to organize the cables.
July 28, 2009 6:47:59 PM

I dunno, hardware secrets are the ones that called out about inappropriate load testing and noise testing when all ppl did was plug psu into computer and see if it powered up and measure with a volt meter, so i kinda trust them for that

and i love johnny guru as well, but the old camera vs new camera thing and among other things like that army themed deal kinda puts a little bit of dent with his reviews, i will look at hardocp tho, i hear they too have a good load tester.
a c 243 ) Power supply
July 28, 2009 8:21:02 PM

The fact that HWS put out the article doesn't take away from [H] or JG reviews, between the three they provide the best insight into power supplies that I've seen.
And OW bringing a little humor to the reviews isn't a bad thing.
a c 165 ) Power supply
July 28, 2009 9:22:44 PM

theAnimal said:
What has the warehouse location got to do with the quality of the PSU?

Most OCZ PSUs are mediocre. They use lower quality OEMs (in this case Sirtec) which means lower quality components. The Corsair is rated at 50C versus 25C for the OCZ, which means the actual power available at operating temperature is far less for the OCZ.

lower quality? Although I would personally choose Corsair over OCZ; OCZ is far from a low quality PSU developer. In fact, since both companies outsource a number of their PSU, I bet there is a good chance the same OEM company makes some of their PSU.
July 29, 2009 2:06:48 AM

OCZ is not a low quality PSU. Its just Corsairs, Antecs, PCP&Ps, Seasonics are better.
a b ) Power supply
July 29, 2009 6:57:41 AM

theholylancer said:
ware house location = less RMA time and cost when it does break (MIR too if they handle it in house, which OCZ does as they asked for a canadian address for my new OCZ DDR3 ram rather than my HX1000w's rebate which is USA), and I seen both OCZ break and corsair break irl and in forums (saw irl for OCZ was ram their high voltage low latency DDR1s that I put in 2.3V through for some kickass timing and speeds, corsair was old PSU, both RMAed correctly, OCZ took a trip to their toronto warehouse/thing/datacenter/interview place and corsair took longer as they only got USA location)

I wouldn't buy a lower quality PSU simply because the warehouse is closer.

Quote:
now about the rated temp and lower quality OEM, I'm interested in those, can you cite the links for rated temps by either third party or first party confirming those data, and a list of corsair and OCZ's OEM/ODMs they use for PSU?

The temp data is from reading reviews & forums @ jonnyguru & hardocp.
Here is another list of PSU OEMs:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=205763
July 29, 2009 6:58:39 AM

theholylancer said:

nice, lol
a b ) Power supply
July 29, 2009 7:00:23 AM

ct1615 said:
lower quality? Although I would personally choose Corsair over OCZ; OCZ is far from a low quality PSU developer.

The word I used is mediocre. Lower is not the same as low.
July 29, 2009 7:07:23 AM

LOL for the warehouse idea. Might as well check if Coolmax has a warehouse nearby so that I could buy 'better' PSUs from them. :p 
a b ) Power supply
July 29, 2009 9:10:30 AM

Buy whatever your budget allows.
The OCZ is also a good one.
If you can spend more then go with Corsair.
July 29, 2009 12:41:19 PM

masterjaw said:
LOL for the warehouse idea. Might as well check if Coolmax has a warehouse nearby so that I could buy 'better' PSUs from them. :p 

ok see, when i said that, i meant the quality difference between two very good brands (imo that is) and your talking about a night and day difference.....

when the quality of the two is that close, the other aspects of a brand comes into play, but if as stated ocz won't use 50C rated operating condition, then it would be that it is less good than corsair whom do. A hotly OCed i7 and a couple gfxes and 50C is not unlikely.

all i wanted is the reason for all this ocz bashing, and i got it.

also, how is PCP&C? they got brought by OCZ, and thus, are they being afected, or is OCZ pulling a tiered approach like toyota and lexus? where OCZ is the mainstream flashy stuff (think all that modular stuff) and then PCP&C is for the better stuff (or vice versa)?
a c 165 ) Power supply
July 29, 2009 1:07:01 PM

so far it seems OCZ is letting PC Power and Cooling operate as usual, I just got a new PC P&C PSU earlier this year and saw no major changes. I did see OCZ re-brand some of the older PC P&C DELL replacement PSU as OCZ.
July 29, 2009 4:12:54 PM

Well I decided to buy the OCZ 700W PSU because it was modular. I was looking at my case and i figure out that it will be very hard to keep all those cables from the Antec power supply out of the way. Plus I was in a tight budget, and I know is not as good as corsairs but I wasn't able to pay for a modular Corsair PSU. Thanks for all your help. For my next build I will buy a Corsair but for now the OCZ will have to do it.

Thanks again.
!