I have a question on airflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude420

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Hi guys, I'm trying to decide whether to get a coolermaster Hyper 212, a Corsair A50 for $5 more, or a A70 for $15 more. I figure I should ask if the A70 is a waste of money due to the design of the case.

Now my case is an Antec Sonata 2. I have a 120mm fan in the front and a 120mm in the rear, the power supply is at the top. It runs fairly cool but I want to change my CPU cooler since I have a stock one.

I hear that the A70 is one of the best fan CPU coolers around, the problem is though is that the 2 fans that mount on to the fins face vertically instead of horizontally. Does the air in the A70 equalize in the center since there is 1 fan on each side? I'm just afraid that the warm air that will come out of the cooler will go into my power supply. Also, since the fans are facing vertically, wouldn't it interfere with the airflow, causing warm spots? I'm not quite sure how it works.

Looking at the A50 and Hyper 212, they have 1 fan that blows out on one side (towards the rear fan for exhaust), so if you recommend these type of fans, should i go A50 or Hyper 212?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, I'm new to this stuff and I want to make sure I do it right.

Solution

top mount psu will exhaust air and bottom mount psu generally dont take part in the case's airflow since they suck air from the bottom vent and exhaust out... its not ideal to have the bottom mount psu exhaust air from inside the case since the bottom of the case always tend to have cooler air which is supposed to go up to the gpu and the cpu cooler fans...

Hi.

If I were you, I'd keep away of those A50 and A70, aren't good and many air coolers performs much better for the same or less price.

Take a look of Titan Fenrir, Venomous X, NH-D14, Silver Arrow or Archon, all those are much better for a good price. Be sure that fit in your case.

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010

top mount psu will exhaust air and bottom mount psu generally dont take part in the case's airflow since they suck air from the bottom vent and exhaust out... its not ideal to have the bottom mount psu exhaust air from inside the case since the bottom of the case always tend to have cooler air which is supposed to go up to the gpu and the cpu cooler fans...

the hyper 212+ will be an excellent choice than the corsairs but not recommended for i7 9XX series or Phenom X6 series... if your cpu is one of these two then titan fenrir or tuniq tower 120 extreme will be good choices around $50-60...

Solution

Dude420

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
My cpu is an i5 760 @ 2.8 Ghz, so i suppose it's not as extreme as those 2 cpu's you've mentioned. Thanks for the advice, im on a bit of a budget so ill go with the Hyper 212+.

Status
Not open for further replies.