chibimaddy

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Hello to all you "smarter than me" people. I'd like to ask for some help. My husband's computer has been getting bsod randomly for the past couple of weeks.

We've been trying to diagnose the problem, but are getting no where.

He has Windows XP without service pack 3 (computer won't stay on long enough to complete the download)
it is an AMD Athon 64 3200+ with 1 gig of ram

He is getting the
Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal message most of the time, but sometimes it's just a stop message.

Below are a few of the bsod messages that I've jotted down.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
***Stop: 0x000000d1 (0xf6009256, 0x00000006, 0x00000008x 0xf6009256)
***psched.sys F6009256 base at f5ffa000

----------------------------------
***Stop: 0x000000d1 (0xa0c3cc98, 0x00000006, 0x00000001, 0x868e300c)

***Stop: 0x000000d1 (0x00000204, 0x0000000a, 0x00000000, 0xf6bffbd7)
***usbport.sys f6bffbd7 base at f6be5000

***Stop: 0x00000001 (0x89a660002, 0x00000006, 0x00000000, 0xf60c1256)
***alcxwdm.sys f60c1256 base at f6022000

***Stop: 0x0000008e (0xc000001d, 0xf6ae7256, 0x80548ebc, 0x00000000)

I've been running Memtest-86 v.4.5 for the past couple of hours and it has made it through 4 passes with no errors.

I'm not sure what other information anyone might need, I appreciate so much your help. We're pulling our hair out. :eek:)
Thank you in advance.
Maddy

Solution
Specifically a 'driver' is listed as the problem. To confirm a driver and not hardware is the problem, boot into Safe Mode and let the system run for 30 minutes or so. If the BSOD does not appear, the problem is likely not hardware related, but software (driver) related. Minmal drivers are loaded in Safe Mode. Personally I would start with installling a correct video driver. Perhaps install updated drivers for any hardware such as sound cards, wireless adapters, etc. If none of this solves the problem a repair install or clean installation of the OS may be needed.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1647&page=4
Specifically a 'driver' is listed as the problem. To confirm a driver and not hardware is the problem, boot into Safe Mode and let the system run for 30 minutes or so. If the BSOD does not appear, the problem is likely not hardware related, but software (driver) related. Minmal drivers are loaded in Safe Mode. Personally I would start with installling a correct video driver. Perhaps install updated drivers for any hardware such as sound cards, wireless adapters, etc. If none of this solves the problem a repair install or clean installation of the OS may be needed.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1647&page=4

Solution

chibimaddy

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Thanks! The computer ran all last night checking memory with no errors. I have it now running in Safe mode with networking. I'll try to address drivers if I have no problems. I really hope to avoid a reformat. I don't like doing those.

v-2samrc

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Chibimaddy, please check for the drivers. If that doesn't fix it, please reply to the following details:
- Memory FSB (Eg: DDR 1066 / 1333 / 800 / 667 etc.)
- Windows XP 32 / 64 Bit and SP version.
- Exactly when are you encountering the BSOD error
- The motherboard model and type will also help.
:>

chibimaddy

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Well, we thought we had it, and then we didn't again.

We've reformatted the hard drive 2 times now, and still experience the BSOD intermittently.

The messages are different each time, sometimes a driver, sometimes not, usually always different. We have one item in the device manager that is still unsolved. A Raid Controller, where we can not find driver for. Currently the computer is running, but with NO updates.

I'll gather more details tomorrow. Thanks so much for your help so far.

I had a situation a while back where random BSOD was occuring on a desktop workstation. They were random. Started occuring with more frequency. I finally reformatted and reloaded the OS. Like you, the BSOD was still happening randomly throughout the day, the system was on all day at work. I want to make this clear I tried EVERYTHING. For maybe three months...EVERYTHING.

I was just about to take the system down concluding the socket 754 MB had failed over time and I was reading through some online M$ support information pertaining to my BSOD problem. Remember, I had tried EVERYTHING. For three months. I came across some information pertaining to the harddrive and/or SATA cable being defective causing BSOD. Next day I brought a new SATA cable to work and plugged it in. Problem solved to this day not a single BSOD since. So, consider changing the data transfer cable to the HD.

chibimaddy

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Hey Thanks :eek:) Since the reformat yesterday no BSOD's YET. I feel they will come, as this is the first time the computer's actually been used since the reformat.

I do have my old computer sitting here that got zapped by lightning, so if we get another bsod, I'll try the cable from that one in this one.

I'm not really awake yet, so pardon if I'm not making a lot of sense.

chibimaddy

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Thanks again for everyone's help. After the second reformat, the computer seems to be running fine. We haven't had a crash in days. Although we are both being very cautious as to what we install.

I don't think the problem is actually fixed, but if it truly is, I think it may be because I swapped out the nvidia card with a all-in-wonder card and removed all the nvidia stuff before the reinstall.

I'm not sure how to close this thread (if it's even up to me), but I think the issue is closed for the time being. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Thanks for your superb help. I hope I won't have tome come back, but if I do, glad to know there's such nice people here to help.

Maddy