Blue Screen issue

avens37

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I built my PC a month ago (about march 5th) and suddenly i'm getting blue screens every 15-20 minutes and im not sure where to start troubleshooting. I dont have a lot of information about the blue screens because they only last for about 5 seconds and i don't have much time to see whats happened. Im running vista64 servicepack 1 and here are my system specs:

Nvidia GTX285 (latest drivers)
750Corsairtx
Intel core 2 quad 9550 (not overclocked)
4GB Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF Model Ram
Asus P5Q Pro Motherboard

according to CPU-z my cpu temps seem fine, i suppose it could be the RAM? i havent changed any hardware since the build either.

if anyone can give me any tips on what to check, please help :)

avens37

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
all BIOS settings are set to ''auto'' and its worked fine for me for about a month so far, blue screens are now happening upon boot into vista after login. there are 2 different ones im seeing, one saying ''SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION'' and another ''DRIVER IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL''

You should manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the manufacturers specs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145197&Tpk=TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF

It looks like it should be DDR2 1066 with 5-5-5-15 timings @ 2.1v. Your motherboard is likely running your RAM underclocked and undervolted for compatibility reasons. You should also download and run Memtest86+ overnight to test for RAM errors once you set the speed/timings/voltage. Properly working RAM will not get any errors in memtest.

tweak13

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008

Download the MemTest86 ISO and burn it to a disk, boot the computer to that disk and the program will run, testing memory, the more time you allow it to run the better, I would let it run through atleast 2 full loops. If it finds an error you have a couple things to check, remove all dims, insert one at a time testing at each slot to find if its a mem stick thats bad or a slot on the motherboard. On the other hand if the test doesnt report an error, I would start installing previous drivers, or even run Prim95 to check for CPU stability.

hardwaretechy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Hey, what you need to do is write down the error code that the blue screen displays. This is a number of format similar to 0x0000000A -- and it will have more after it. This code will give you more information about your problem than anything else. If the blue screen goes away really quick and your computer reboots, then you need to do the following:

Right click on My Computer->Properties. Select the Advanced tab. Click on Settings below Startup and Recovery, uncheck the Automatically Restart checkbox. This will make the computer sit on that screen when it does BSOD. You'll have to manually reboot (press reset button/cycle power) but this way you can see what the error is.

Post your error, or google it for more information. It very well may be a bad piece of hardware, but DRIVER IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL errors generally indicate a corrupted driver, it might be your video, audio, or other chipset drivers, but generally one of the first two.

avens37

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Thanks for everyones help so far, im going to write down the error code down as HardwareTech recommended and i got memtest86+ iso burned to disk and i can boot from it. ill see what i can do to find a solution from that :sarcastic:

avens37

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
i just went into BIOS and manually changed my ram settings, no BSOD for awhile now but if it happens again ill run memtest tonight and if the ram is bad ill call corsair tomorrow. thanks for all the help