Sign in with
Your question

Newbie wants to OC. Need help.

Last response: in Overclocking
January 28, 2011 6:07:13 AM

First off I would like to thank everyone who takes the time to read this thread and reply to it. I really appreciate it.

Now, to business...

I would like to overclock my CPU and I have been reading through the forums so I have a general idea of what is involved. However, I would like some advice from experienced individuals involving possible issues that might arise from my current hardware setup and my lack of experience. The system is currently stock and I am looking to start tweaking it to achieve the best possible output. Keep in mind that I am a complete neophyte so any advice is appreciated.

Specs are in my signature.

Thanks!

More about : newbie

a c 292 K Overclocking
January 28, 2011 11:34:49 AM

Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

Good rig you have there. I have some question before start to overclock.

1- What cooler do you have? because I can't no see one.
2- Download and use HWMonitor to know your temps, that is basic when you overclock.
3- We also need stress test programs to test the stability of overclock, so, download prime95, Linx, OCCT or y-cruncher.
m
l
January 28, 2011 7:04:14 PM

1- The cooler I have is the stock cooler. I'll be purchasing a new one very soon. Any suggestions?
2- I already have HWMonitor installed and my temps at idle are approx. 33C
3- I have downloaded prime95.
m
l
Related resources
a c 292 K Overclocking
January 28, 2011 7:36:32 PM

1- What budget? for ~$30 you can go with the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ or for ~$89 you can get the Thermalright Silver Arrow, which is better? Silver Arrow.
2- Use prime95 to stress your CPU at stock clock, with that we can know the load temps with the stock cooler and how far with can go with it.
m
l
January 29, 2011 6:12:09 AM

1- I have installed the Thermalright Silver Arrow.
2- I will stress the CPU at stock clock tomorrow sometime and post the results.

m
l
January 29, 2011 10:34:58 AM

You got a good overclocking motherboard, just read forums on overclocking it will take a couple of days to get a good at overclocking but the more information your read the better. I just got my I72600k Stable @ 4.9 with air cooling.
m
l
January 30, 2011 12:26:47 AM

Quick question...

All of the tutorials and guides I can find that deal with prime95 focus on using it to test system stability. What torture tests should I run to determine max CPU temp at stock clock with the Silver Arrow?
m
l
a c 292 K Overclocking
January 30, 2011 12:29:07 AM

prime95, LinX, OCCT or y-cruncher are all stress test programs. One of those can do the job, but test the rig for 2 hours or more.
m
l
!