Mr_Sing

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
My Asus P5Q keeps crashing (freezing). I have tried every variation of memory settings recommended. I have swapped memory chips 4x (Pc 2 8500) As I use the computer as a video surveillance system it is a big problem. My next step is to throw the thing in the trash.

Sing

Why are you using overclocked memory in a surveillance system if stability is important? Did you try quality DDR2-800 memory that runs at 1.8V? Have you tried running the memory at 800 MHz? What modules are you using and are they on the QVL?

When it crashes, what error is reported in Event Viewer? The issue could be caused by something like a flaky PSU, etc.

Mr_Sing

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
I guess I see your point about the memory. It was what was recommended for the motherboard when I bought it . It is OCZ Fatality PC2 8500 2.2 v.

I have completely swapped with the same memory and the problem did not go away.

The one thing that did seem to improve it was changing the TRAS from 15 to 18. It did not crash for a week then did 3 times in a day.

There are no errors in the system or app event log. The power supply is way overrated for the mother board. I guess I can check it with a storage scope.

I changed the dram frequency from auto to 835. When I had tried to set it to 1066 it would not even boot.

I will look and see what other memory I have around. While looking for a solution I found many other people having the same problem with this motherboard.

Thanks

The P5Q should work really well with DDR2-800 1.8V modules. If the store recommended that OCZ Fatality memory, then get them to exchange it for modules that are fully compatible. I prefer losing 1% performance for much better stability and that's what I get with my P45 systems.

Mr_Sing

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Ok will give it a try, sometimes it takes days before it crashes. I use the computer for my FTP and Video surveillance for when I am out of town. If the computer just rebooted I could deal with it. Going to see if I can setup a watchdog to reset the thing.

Thanks
Sing