Sign in with
Your question

Dad Needs HELP!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 15, 2009 5:30:11 PM

I have a quick-question for the serious gamers out there; my son's computer is struggling to play even the average games so, I decided to surprise him by updating his graphics card and adding a bit of RAM-what do you guys recommend?

Please see specs below.

Oh, and please give it to me in layman terms-I'm not all that computer knowledgeable-thanks!

ubie

Computer Info

Alienware Computer

Operating System
Windows XP-Home Edition
Version 2002-SP3
Intel ® Pentium ® 4CPU 3.00GHz 1.0 GB RAM
(Dual Processors)

System Memory
Module 1
500MB
Data Width 64 Bits
Module 2
500MB
Data Width 64 Bits

Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer p4C800-E

Video
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5950 Ultra
RAM 256MB

Sound
Creative SB Audigy

More about : dad

May 15, 2009 5:49:54 PM

HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT TO SPEND? IS IT A DESKTOP OR LAPTOP?
May 15, 2009 6:08:36 PM

I suppose I can probably go a little toward the high-end. My main focus being whether or not his computer can handle it.

It's a desktop computer.

Any help is appreciated.
Related resources
May 15, 2009 6:20:53 PM

Before we can recommend any graphics cards you need to tell us how many watts the PSU (Power Supply) has.
May 15, 2009 6:21:19 PM

HONESTLY, AFTER DOING SOME RESEARCH ON YOUR MOTHERBOARD, YOUR PROBABLY BETTER OFF JUST BUYING A WHOLE NEW COMPUTER FOR HIM. YOU CAN GET A SOLID DESKTOP COMPUTER FOR A GRAND AND IT WILL PLAY JUST ABOUT EVERY GAME OUT ON DECENT SETTINGS. I HAVE SEEN 650 DOLLAR DESKTOPS ON CYBERPOWERPC.COM WITH SOME PRETTY IMPRESSIVE SPECS FOR THE PRICE.

IM NO COMPUTER EXPERT BY ANY MEANS, HOWEVER, I HAVE BEEN RESEARCHNG COMPUTER PARTS FOR THE PAST 6 MONTHS BECAUSE IM BUILDING MY OWN RIG. SO I DO KNOW WHAT THE HOT ITEMS ARE, THE SOLID ITEMS ARE, AND WHAT HARDWARE IS GOOD FOR A SPECIFIC BUDGET. SO I SHOULD BE ABLE TO HELP YOU PICK OUT SOMETHING WITH SOLID PERFORMANCE AND A REASONABLE PRICE FOR YOUR SON.

BUYING A NEW COMPUTER DOESNT NECESSARILY MEAN U NEED AN ALIENWARE OR A DELL. YOU CAN GO TO A SITE LIKE CYBERPOWERPC.COM AND DESIGN YOUR OWN RIG IF YOU LIKE OR BUY ONE ALREADY COMPLETE. FROM MY EXPERIENCE, A SOLID COMPUTER ON CYBERPOWERPC.COM IS MUCH CHEAPER THAN IF THE SAME RIG WERE TO BE AN ALIENWARE. WITH ALIENWARE YOUR PAYING FOR THE NAME AND THE WARRANTY.

NOW IM SURE IF I SAID SOMETHING WRONG HERE ONE OF THE EXPERTS(WHOM I ASK FOR HELP MYSELF) WILL SURELY CORRECT ME.
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2009 6:24:22 PM

You must find out if his motherboard supports PCI Express 2.0 x16. If the current card is AGP, you'll need a new motherboard and maybe power supply if you're going for at least a 9800 GTX+ price about about $110.
May 15, 2009 6:25:11 PM

Dell has a good warrenty and customer support though. Yes it is true that you can build your own PC for less than it costs to buy it from a manufacturer but you miss our on the customer support and to be honest as he says in his opening post, he is not overly knowledgable about PCs, so it is probably better just to get a new PC from a respect manufacturer like Dell or HP so that if something goes wrong you can pick up the phone and bug them with your problem.

PS. Fix your keyboard, posting in caps does not make people read your post more or anything just makes you look like an amateur.
May 15, 2009 6:45:54 PM

If the PC is AGP, I wouldn't upgrade it. The increase in performance isn't worth the money spent - you'll likely still be unhappy with how fast it is. If it's PCI-e, you'll probably end up upgrading the GPU and RAM, and in turn, the CPU, and in turn, the PSU - in essence, a new computer.

We do need a budget, though.
May 15, 2009 6:53:54 PM

i dont post in caps to get people to read my posts. i do it because it is more convenient to type in caps. i didnt realize how much it bothers people so i will stop. fyi, i am an amateur and i have only posted on toms a couple of times.
a c 271 U Graphics card
May 15, 2009 6:55:26 PM

The mobo is a socket 478 and it has an AGP slot, therefore an upgrade is not worth it IMHO. Time for a new machine.
May 15, 2009 6:58:02 PM

The logic of caps being convenient to type in escapes me.

But, anyway, if it is socket 478, I agree with mousemonkey, the upgrade isn't worth the money, no matter how much upgrading is done. Perhaps the family could use a new computer, too?
a c 271 U Graphics card
May 15, 2009 6:58:19 PM

the collector said:
i dont post in caps to get people to read my posts. i do it because it is more convenient to type in caps. i didnt realize how much it bothers people so i will stop. fyi, i am an amateur and i have only posted on toms a couple of times.

Posting in caps is the forum equivalent of shouting and will usually illicit such a response.
May 15, 2009 7:01:01 PM

Hammeh said:
Before we can recommend any graphics cards you need to tell us how many watts the PSU (Power Supply) has.

Hi-thanks for replying

420 watt power supply

also, the motherboard is ASUS P4C800-E-DELUXE
May 15, 2009 7:04:20 PM

hundredislandsboy said:
You must find out if his motherboard supports PCI Express 2.0 x16. If the current card is AGP, you'll need a new motherboard and maybe power supply if you're going for at least a 9800 GTX+ price about about $110.

Hi

The Motherboard is ASUS P4C800-E-DELUXE

Power Supply is 420 WATT
May 15, 2009 7:08:55 PM

Yeah, it was a beasty motherboard of it's time, but that's long since passed. I really am against the upgrade. New system ftw.

What's your budget, though?
May 15, 2009 7:15:02 PM

frozenlead said:
If the PC is AGP, I wouldn't upgrade it. The increase in performance isn't worth the money spent - you'll likely still be unhappy with how fast it is. If it's PCI-e, you'll probably end up upgrading the GPU and RAM, and in turn, the CPU, and in turn, the PSU - in essence, a new computer.

We do need a budget, though.

Thanks for replying.

I'm not too good with computers-basically, I bought my sons what I considered to be decent computers a few years ago but now their computers struggle to play the popular games (they both have the same computer-different colors.)

Unfortunately, I'm not really able to purchase a similiar computer today so I thought if it were possible I would at least update the RAM and get a new graphics card-sort of as a surprise (to let them know that I'm working on the situation.)

My budget would be whatever it cost to get the RAM & graphics card-middle to upper level componets (roughly say $500. per computer or close-I'm open to suggestions obviously so just recommend and I will sort through my funds and see what I do.)

Again-I appreciate all the help.
a c 165 U Graphics card
May 15, 2009 7:36:42 PM

If you have $500 to spend on each system I would suggest your money would be better spent purchasing two new boxes from your local small store, that sort of money gets a strong system today.
May 15, 2009 8:47:38 PM

+1 to everyone who said build a new box.

The MoBo you have supports AGPx8, but sadly not PCI-Ex16, so all of the newer graphics cards won't work. You could spend the money for a decent AGP card (something like a Nvidia 6600 or a 7900, both of which would play Fallout 3 or something similar) but the money you spend there could easily go toward a new machine.

Not to start a debate about Intel vs AMD; Nvidia vs ATI but the way prices are going you can build a relatively decent machine for 500$. AMD Kuma cores are down to 70 bucks or less and the 9800gt GPU can be had for around 100 and those would play anything out right now (though some games on med-low graphics such as Crysis).

Good luck daddy-o
May 15, 2009 9:00:09 PM

Kithzaru said:
+1 to everyone who said build a new box.

The MoBo you have supports AGPx8, but sadly not PCI-Ex16, so all of the newer graphics cards won't work. You could spend the money for a decent AGP card (something like a Nvidia 6600 or a 7900, both of which would play Fallout 3 or something similar) but the money you spend there could easily go toward a new machine.

Not to start a debate about Intel vs AMD; Nvidia vs ATI but the way prices are going you can build a relatively decent machine for 500$. AMD Kuma cores are down to 70 bucks or less and the 9800gt GPU can be had for around 100 and those would play anything out right now (though some games on med-low graphics such as Crysis).

Good luck daddy-o

+1
But the 4830 can be found for much cheaper than the 9800GT and gets the about same performance.

@ubie
You might want to start a thread in the "Homebuilt Systems" Forum, under "New System Build". They could probably get you the best deals and parts for a new, but cheap, system.
May 15, 2009 9:14:11 PM

Yeah, I'm liking the AMD CPU, a cheaper motherboard, and a 4830. Sounds pretty decent.
May 15, 2009 9:17:12 PM

If you can still find em for sub 100$$ the ATI 4770's are a nice way to go as well. Definitely not as cool looking as some 4830's or 4850's though =P
May 15, 2009 9:18:41 PM

In such situations, eBay is your friend for old hardware :)  I'm in the same boat as you, except I'm the son and I'm trying my dearest to convince dad to lemme buy a new AGP card. My parents spend like 3grand a year for my tutoring, but won't lemme spend 500 for a new computer. ftw. I bought a Phenom II, got pissed cuz it was a 710 and didn't have unlocked multi, sold it, and now they're not letting me buy again. All I wanted was to switch to Gigabyte and Phenom 720 :(  Gosh my parents are so stupid, they think that HDD capacity has a direct relationship to conputer speed, which they think is reponsiveness. So they'll think a phenom 9500 is fast. Pff.

So yea, buy an AGP from eBay (make sure it's not worse than your current card), and don't buy more memory since 1g is enough, just reformat your crappy Windows (I use Linux). Or, you can use the 500 to build a new core2duo with a GTX260, which will run over your current computer, back up, and run it over again :) 

Lemme list it out for you (sorry I don't have time to link, computer time is limited by my parents >.>)
-Antec 300 case $50
-Corsair 400CX PSU $30
-Any socket 775 mobo (since you only have 800fsb, probably not OCing) $60
-WD Caviar Black hard drive $70
-e5200/e2200 $70
-GTX 260 $200

Adds up to $480 in Canadian currency. Yes, I live in Canada. Some of the prices listed you may only be able to get during a sale... so be patient :)  Add shipping and tax on top of that, and if you're in USD, you'll be just on budget :D  Best of luck. Wish my dad was an enthusiast... all he does is yell at me for not doing my homework (to practice concepts I learned years ago in the private tutors they paid for >.>)

Sorry about all the personal info, just felt so bad cuz my dad is soooo lame. Mom is even lamer. "woa!!! 1tb hard drive!!! 8gb ram!!! that computer is so fast!!! omg!!!" pff
May 15, 2009 9:51:17 PM

Felt like putting together an example list:

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$90

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$70

Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$90 ($80 after MIR)

You should probably get some more RAM too: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$30

Total: $278.97 (not including shipping)

I assume that since it's a Alienware computer, that you won't need to get a new PSU, case, or drives.
May 15, 2009 9:56:11 PM

boudy said:
Felt like putting together an example list:

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$90

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$70

Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$90 ($80 after MIR)

You should probably get some more RAM too: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$30

Total: $278.97 (not including shipping)

I assume that since it's a Alienware computer, that you won't need to get a new PSU, case, or drives.

You can add like $150 to that to get a completely new computer, so why not? You've probably got a PATA hard drive and case with no air circulation in mind and an old power supply, so you might as well throw in a bit money for another computer. See, that's why getting a complete new computer makes so much sense.
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2009 10:03:54 PM

the collector said:
HONESTLY, AFTER DOING SOME RESEARCH ON YOUR MOTHERBOARD, YOUR PROBABLY BETTER OFF JUST BUYING A WHOLE NEW COMPUTER FOR HIM. YOU CAN GET A SOLID DESKTOP COMPUTER FOR A GRAND AND IT WILL PLAY JUST ABOUT EVERY GAME OUT ON DECENT SETTINGS. I HAVE SEEN 650 DOLLAR DESKTOPS ON CYBERPOWERPC.COM ....
NOW IM SURE IF I SAID SOMETHING WRONG HERE ONE OF THE EXPERTS(WHOM I ASK FOR HELP MYSELF) WILL SURELY CORRECT ME.

stop shouting
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2009 10:05:37 PM

+1 to everyone suggesting a new system. Your son's current system can definitely be upgraded, but only so far. Alienware makes some good stuff, but to be very frank, you can build the same system by yourself for 1/3 as much money.

Unfortunately as you've seen, even spending big dollars on a computer doesn't guarantee it lasts forever. :(  Computer stuff just updates way to often.

I'd strongly suggest you seriously consider looking for help building a new system yourself, or get some suggestions on what companies can build decent gaming systems for cheap.

I see lots of folks on Tomshardware post builds for just under $1,000 that are great gaming machines. Done right, and buying parts from the right places, you can build a pretty spectacular system for relatively cheap (especially when compared to Alienware and similar brands).
May 15, 2009 10:10:49 PM

computabug said:
You can add like $150 to that to get a completely new computer, so why not? You've probably got a PATA hard drive and case with no air circulation in mind and an old power supply, so you might as well throw in a bit money for another computer. See, that's why getting a complete new computer makes so much sense.

Oh, and what computer did you have in mind? (include links please)
May 15, 2009 10:32:03 PM

the collector said:
if his budget is 500 dollars for each, then i found this system for 489 dollars on cyberpowepc.com. this looks like it should be able to play most games.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Intel_Core_2_Duo_Con...

Just as I suspected; The graphics card wouldn't even be able to handle solitaire :lol:  (*sarcasm alert*). Only 2GBs of RAM as well.

@ubie
Like I said go and make a thread in the New System Build section and they will help you find everything you need.
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2009 10:32:32 PM

No you don't want that system, it only has a 4350 video card. If you are comfortable with upgrading a graphics card, you might be better off to go to a big box store like walmart or something, grab a cheap dual core system with an amd chip for 300-400 bucks, grab a 4670 off newegg, maybe up the ram, and be happy.
May 15, 2009 10:43:38 PM

u guys r right. i was thinking of the 4830 for some reason. my fault.
May 15, 2009 10:46:27 PM

i bet if he upgraded the video card for 85 bucks to the 1gb 9600 gt it wouldnt run so bad though...but it still would only have 2gb of ram :( 
May 15, 2009 10:46:38 PM

the collector said:
if his budget is 500 dollars for each, then i found this system for 489 dollars on cyberpowepc.com. this looks like it should be able to play most games.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Intel_Core_2_Duo_Con...

Anyone know what case this is? It lists it as a Sagitta II but I can't seem to find it on raidmax's website, newegg or google.

And ubie, if you're comfortable with upgrading the gpu and ram, then I'd consider just building the entire pc. Tom's is full of all the resources you would need to help you along the way. If you're looking for two boxes at $500 each, there aren't many options for decent gaming computers unless you build your own.
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2009 11:03:41 PM

If you customize that CyberPower system someone linked above, it wouldn't be bad. I did some customizing for their system. The link is below (not sure if their permalink works long term).

Quote:

# Configuration number:1952325
# Configuration URL:http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saving/show.asp?id=1952325

* CAS: ($10 off Mail-in Rebate) Raidmax Sagitta II Mid-Tower 420W Gaming Case w/ Side-Panel Window (Black Color)
* CASUPGRADE: NONE
* CS_FAN: Default case fans
<B>* POWERSUPPLY: 680 Watts Power Supplies [+60] (SLI/CrossFire Ready Power Supply)
* CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8400 CPU @ 3.0GHz 1333FSB 6MB L2 Cache 64-bit
* FAN: Xigmatek Dark Knight-S1283V Gaming CPU Cooling Fan (Double layer H.D.T. technology for maximum cooling) [+43]
* MOTHERBOARD: MSI G31M3-L Intel G31 Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard
* MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory [+45] (Corsair or Major Brand)
* FREEBIE_RM: None
* VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 16X PCI Express [+79] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)</B>
* VIDEO2: None
* VIDEO3: None
* MULTIVIEW: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
* MONITOR: NONE
* MONITOR2: NONE
<B>* HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+10])</B>
* HDD2: NONE
* FA_HDD: None
* USBHD: NONE
<B>* CD: (Special Price) LG 22X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (Black Color)</B>
* CD2: NONE
* SOUND: 3D WAVE ON-BOARD 5.1 SOUND CARD
* SPEAKERS: 600Watts PMPO Subwoofer Stereo Speakers
* NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
* MODEM: NONE
* KEYBOARD: NONE [-7]
* MOUSE: NONE [-4]
* TEMP: NONE
* WNC: NONE
* FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
* VIDEOCAMERA: NONE
* PRINTER: None
* PRINTER_CABLE: None
* IEEE_CARD: NONE
* USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
* FLOPPY: NONE
<B>* OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 [+104] (64-bit Edition)</B>
* FREEBIE_OS: None
* TVRC: None
* SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
* RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
<B>* _PRICE: (+819)</B>

Total price is $819. The video card (9800GT) and Motherboard could both be upgraded if you wanted something a little more serious. But even this system would at least play current titles. You can also opt to upgrade the 9800GT to a GTX 260 Core 216 video card on their site.

This system comes with the E8400 Core 2 Duo which is a great gaming CPU. Also I upgraded to the Xigmatek S-1283V cooler for much better cooling than their standard Intel cooler. Upgraded the Power Supply to the 680Watt instead of the standard 420Watt as well.
May 16, 2009 5:07:54 AM

the collector said:
i bet if he upgraded the video card for 85 bucks to the 1gb 9600 gt it wouldnt run so bad though...but it still would only have 2gb of ram :( 

Yea, that was a bad example. Though, the rest of the system was pretty good. ;) 
May 16, 2009 5:24:21 AM

Ubie hasn't posted for nearly half a page lol.

IMHO just build it yourself unless you don't have the time (go with iBuyPower in that case) or you're not OCing or gaming (go with HP, Dell, Acer, etc.). Especially if you want something high end, build it yourself, and save money.

If you buy some cheap pre-built pc and upgrade the card later like someone above has mentioned, keep in mind that the PSU may also need an upgrade. Which is completely pointless lol unless you need a new PSU for another old PC, in which case that would be perfect :) 
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2009 8:03:25 AM

Ubie,

This just one option but a quick easy and cheap way to go if you wish. Find a local computer store (not the national chain best buy but a momma poppa shop) that can do upgrades.

The person in the shop should be able to give you ideas like maybe ordering a motherboard that can support your current CPU and have a PCI-E video slot such as this motherboard for $60

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Then you can use everything else in your system and buy a 9500 GT video card for about $50. The computer shop shouldn't charge you more than $25 - $35 to put in the new motherboard and videocard. BTW, that motherboard won't support am 8800 GT or 9800 GT and higher videocards but you wouldn't want to use those cards anyway as your CPU and motherboard FSB will bottlenevk those cards.

Another option is to get a G31 chipset motherboard, an e5200, overclock to 1066 FSB for 3.3 GHz CPU freq, 2 Gigs DDR2 RAM, a 9800 GT videocard all for around $225 plus the labor the shop wil charge you but yo could use your current case, PSU, hard drive, etc....

Hope this helps you find your solution to upgrading!
May 16, 2009 8:45:36 AM

the collector said:
HONESTLY, AFTER DOING SOME RESEARCH ON YOUR MOTHERBOARD, YOUR PROBABLY BETTER OFF JUST BUYING A WHOLE NEW COMPUTER FOR HIM. YOU CAN GET A SOLID DESKTOP COMPUTER FOR A GRAND AND IT WILL PLAY JUST ABOUT EVERY GAME OUT ON DECENT SETTINGS. I HAVE SEEN 650 DOLLAR DESKTOPS ON CYBERPOWERPC.COM WITH SOME PRETTY IMPRESSIVE SPECS FOR THE PRICE.

IM NO COMPUTER EXPERT BY ANY MEANS, HOWEVER, I HAVE BEEN RESEARCHNG COMPUTER PARTS FOR THE PAST 6 MONTHS BECAUSE IM BUILDING MY OWN RIG. SO I DO KNOW WHAT THE HOT ITEMS ARE, THE SOLID ITEMS ARE, AND WHAT HARDWARE IS GOOD FOR A SPECIFIC BUDGET. SO I SHOULD BE ABLE TO HELP YOU PICK OUT SOMETHING WITH SOLID PERFORMANCE AND A REASONABLE PRICE FOR YOUR SON.

BUYING A NEW COMPUTER DOESNT NECESSARILY MEAN U NEED AN ALIENWARE OR A DELL. YOU CAN GO TO A SITE LIKE CYBERPOWERPC.COM AND DESIGN YOUR OWN RIG IF YOU LIKE OR BUY ONE ALREADY COMPLETE. FROM MY EXPERIENCE, A SOLID COMPUTER ON CYBERPOWERPC.COM IS MUCH CHEAPER THAN IF THE SAME RIG WERE TO BE AN ALIENWARE. WITH ALIENWARE YOUR PAYING FOR THE NAME AND THE WARRANTY.

The caps lock key is directly above the left-shift key, and directly below the tab key (for those that can't tell their left from their right...)
May 16, 2009 8:51:32 AM

jerreece said:
If you customize that CyberPower system someone linked above, it wouldn't be bad. I did some customizing for their system. The link is below (not sure if their permalink works long term).

Total price is $819. The video card (9800GT) and Motherboard could both be upgraded if you wanted something a little more serious. But even this system would at least play current titles. You can also opt to upgrade the 9800GT to a GTX 260 Core 216 video card on their site.

This system comes with the E8400 Core 2 Duo which is a great gaming CPU. Also I upgraded to the Xigmatek S-1283V cooler for much better cooling than their standard Intel cooler. Upgraded the Power Supply to the 680Watt instead of the standard 420Watt as well.

You missed where he said he is upgrading two pcs for around or under 500$ not 300$ more and one pc...

This thread has so much...i can't put my finger on it...
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2009 10:13:08 AM

The best graphic card available for the AGP socket is the HD3850 AGP at $90 after rebate. It uses about 70 watts at load, 30 amps on the 12v rail. Needs 2 - 4 pin molex to power it, an adapter is included with the graphic card.

alternate choice is a HD3650 which offers less performance, but uses less power(43 watts). Needs a mini 4 pin dongle from the power supply $73

2X1 GB of DDR400 RAM is $64
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2009 3:53:30 PM

mobo $56 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
4G DDR@ 800 ram $46 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CPU Quad core: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $165
ATI 4770 $99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Use case and power supply from the alienware.

$366 upgrade and he can game on.

If your not confortable putting it all together I'm sure a local shop wouldn't charge over $100.

You could get the Intel e5200 CPU instead and save $70.00
May 16, 2009 4:08:41 PM

Nice post daship...that would be a pretty nice upgrade route...just stick with the quad core cpu though...it will last ALOT longer in the long run...
May 16, 2009 5:45:27 PM

Guys.... I don't think ubie is still interested in this anymore... I'm disabling email notification.
May 16, 2009 8:21:44 PM

croc said:
The caps lock key is directly above the left-shift key, and directly below the tab key (for those that can't tell their left from their right...)

hey thanks for squaring me away croc..appreciate it.
May 18, 2009 2:54:10 PM

Hi Guys,

:o  Wow! Ya'll have really provided me with a'lot of information.

I just want to say THANKS! Really-it's good to know that so many of ya'll took the time to help me out-it does a heart good.

Anyway, I printed out the input and plan on looking over it again during my lunch-break.

I hope to decide which way to go soon.

Apparently, my best bet is to either buy a new system for them or use their Alienware Box & Power Supply to built up a newer system.

Which-ever way I go, I know it'll be better than what they have have presently.

Again-thanks everybody! :hello: 
May 18, 2009 3:04:20 PM

computabug said:
Guys.... I don't think ubie is still interested in this anymore... I'm disabling email notification.

:(  I'm sorry for being out of pocket lately.

My kid's Mom just had an operation and being the only family she has within a thousand miles or so, I took care of her.

It sounds a bit strange, the ex-husband stepping in like that but I just thought it was the right thing to do (she appreciated it too.)

Nothing wrong with being kind I suppose-anyway, that's where I was the last few days (I thought I should mention it since you guys were good enough to address my problem-thanks.)

Alright-have a good one everybody.

ubie :sol: 
May 18, 2009 3:11:43 PM

I just got through checking my email.

I found this from Alienware-I thought I would post it here since you guys were good enough to help me out.

If nothing else it will provide Alienware's perspective on the issue for future-reference.

Thanks,

ubie

from Alienware concerning my issue:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Please be informed that your system’s motherboard supports the following types of memory and Video cards:

Memory: 4x 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets for up to 4GB memory
Supports PC3200/2700/2100 unbuffered ECC non-EC DDR DIMMs

Video: 1x AGP Pro/8x port

This means that the kind of memory supported by this computer is DDR, with a maximum speed of 400 MHz (PC3200). Keep in mind that while the motherboard itself can support 4 GBs, you will be unable to see more than around 2.5 GBS in Windows, and because of this, we do not recommend going any further than that.

Also, only AGP Video cards can be installed. However, any card that does not need any additional power can be installed in this computer. Some Video cards may need a Power Supply upgrade as well. We recommend sticking to something around the Nvidia 6800GTX or 7600/7900GS. No newer Video card is guaranteed to work in this system.

Unfortunately, Alienware no longer carries memory or Video cards of the mentioned types. This means we will be unable to offer them to you. You will need to search for them through third party vendors. However, using the information above, you should be able to obtain these items easily.

If you have more questions regarding this or any other topic, do not hesitate to contact us again. For fast answers and tips, you can visit our "Knowledge Data Base" at: http://support.alienware.com
!