Watercooling the Raven RV02

Hi all,
I'm considering investing some money in a simple WC loop (CPU and 2 GPUs), but my Raven isn't exactly built for WCing...at all.
I've looked into WCing before, so I'm familiar with a decent amount of it, and don't plan on doing this immediately (no money ;))

I've found some pictures of set up, but nobody explains how they did it (e.g how they mounted their triple rads and what not).
Does anybody have any insight on how to assemble the loop specific to this case.

Also, any recommendations in general for waterblocks (GTX 470, i7-930), pumps, rads, etc?

Thanks guys!

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Hmmm...any case can watercool...you just might need to do some modding.

CPU + 2 GPU, you'll need probably 2 triple rads for a good/great loop.

http://skinneelabs.com/triplesv2.html

I have 2 MCR320's mounted on the side of my case. I love them, cheap and they do pretty well with low-medium RPM/CFM fans. Not the 'best', but damn good cost/performance.

Pump- if you are in the market, might as well go big...MCP655 or MCP35x; either with aftermarket top...definitely top/res for the 35x if you go that route.

Blocks- CPU, there are some good ones out there, most perform rather well.
http://skinneelabs.com/cpu-blocks.html

GPU Blocks- full cover blocks are best, but they cost more and can only be used on the card you buy them for...not the next gen. Universal blocks are decent, but a little more restrictive and you'll need RAMsinks for the RAM modules.

If you are going with a new loop, might as well start out with 1/2" ID everything...it's the most commonly used, but 3/8" ID really won't impact temps if you need to go that route.

Read up if you have more questions...I've helped several guys around here build setups, so let me know in PM if you need info on anything specific, or just keep asking away.

http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/226970-water-cooling-essential-threads.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/256607-29-watercooling-read-first

I don't need it to be super-duper; I mainly need to WC to OC my 470s, since they can't dissipate heat well enough with no side fan pulling cool air into the fans. It's just the case design.

The MCR320 seems to be what is used most often, since it's the biggest that will fit in the case.

I figured CPU blocks were pretty standard. Don't plan on OCing (yet; no real need)); just want quieter cooling.

I don't know the exact dimensions of the case, so the pump will take a while to decide.

I only plan on WCing the 470s, so I don't mind buying the full blocks. How hard is it to add a third GPU into the system?

Ironically enough, I'm in my heat transfer class right now...

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
So, you only want to WC the 470's? Hmm...you could probably get away with a single triple rad, but you'd probably want to run it in push/pull. You could also run a MCP355 pump, even though it's pretty robust and would work with a CPU + another radiator as well...aftermarket top for that would be a good choice as well.

Quieter cooling...toss up. You are adding fans, not taking away with watercooling. Your radiators need fans to transfer heat, plus you still need the fans in the case that normally provide airflow. Quiet depends on fans used and radiator of choice.

Thanks for the block links.

I'm not really concerned about extreme performance. I know the Raven wasn't built for WC, but people who have done it have had pretty good performance increases.
Additionally, I can't drop another $150+ on a good LC case (like the Corsairs, which I would ideally use).

Plus, I love my Raven :)

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
"Don't plan on OCing (yet; no real need)); just want quieter cooling","How hard is it to add a third GPU into the system? " =more rad's and yes you would want to OC your CPU

EDIT; start with better case

The main reason for the setup is the 470s. The Hyper 212+ is great, but I may as well LC it too ;)

In terms of noise, I assume it will still be quieter, but cooling is still the main priority. I have the 3x180mm fans on the bottom where the rad will go (only place), so I may be able to get away with a single triple rad (I'll look at performance reviews on the web), and anything is better than the GPU fan at 75%+, which is what happens when the GPUs hit 60-70 (necessary to prevent overheating, unfortunately).

Plus, the expansion ports are angled up in the Raven, so I hear GPU fan all day long. Like I said, the GPU cooling is really impacted by the lack of a side fan.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Like I mentioned, any case will be fine if you have the room and don't mind a little modding in some instances.

The Raven is a pretty nice case, I've considered getting it, but I think I'm going to a test bench setup...either purchase or build my own.

Let us know...my sig has the 2 links I always post so I decided to just start including them everywhere. Once you know what you want to do for sure, you can start planning out in more detail.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
"Don't plan on OCing (yet; no real need)); just want quieter cooling","How hard is it to add a third GPU into the system? " =more rad's and yes you would want to OC your CPU

If OP adds CPU, dual 3x120 rads will almost be a must.

The main reason for the setup is the 470s. The Hyper 212+ is great, but I may as well LC it too

Might as well...I guarantee once you do the 470's, you'll wish you would've just included the CPU and built a full loop to begin with.

:)

I guess I should have been a little more clear from the get-go :)

I have no building experience with anything having to do with liquid, especially a computer LC system. I understand the main components for the most part (blocks, pumps, etc), but once it gets to the small things (WTF are barbs?) I'm lost. I'm trying to do as much reading as I can, but right now all of my engineering classes have me reading 15+ pages of dense material for every hour of class.

My goal is to get enough money by the second/third week of March, so I can assemble and test over Spring Break. I've heard people can get a CPU + GPU loop done for ~$200, so I figure ~$300 is doable for CPU + 2 GPUs, since I'm adding a waterblock, and probably a bigger pump or something.

I'd like to LC primarily my 2xGTX 470s so I can OC them. The heat generated is simply too much, and listening to the stupid GPU fans is ridiculous.
The temps don't need to be arctic, but I would like to do better than 80C (non-OCed) on each 470 while OCed.

The CPU will just be thrown into the loop simply because it's (relatively) cheap, and will cause a bigger headache *when* I decide to do it later.

I know the Raven isn't the best case to do it in, but I've seen it done. I may also consider moving to a new case, just to be realistic. I don't know how much time I can devote to modifying the case if need be.

I just wish the people who did LC in the Raven would post more detailed instructions on their methods.
According to Silverstone, the Raven does have support for "liquid cooling radiator mounting." I'm going to look into that.
There also are 2 drilled holes where tubes are supposed to pass through. Haven't seen anyone use those yet.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
That's a pretty slick (and expensive) monitor system.

I got a sweet Scythe KazeMaster fan controller with temp probes from Miwanuma (on this forum) for helping him through a WC build, start to finish. It's pretty nice...it's going into the new build when I get around to it. I has 8 temp probes, so I hope to incorporate 1 into CPU, each GPU (SLI) and then into the water line somewhere (likely a custom made res) to monitor temps and water...just for fun.

[urlhttp://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/06/08/scythe-kaze-master/1[/url]

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

he offered me that Scythe.. :na: ,but i already have one in my closet ..I didn't like it and switch to Lamptron 30w per channel ;)

@boiler1990 ..sorry bud

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

looks like you end up getting that torture rack ;) ,post some pics when you finish ,I just finished my new rig (mem.conf.)
P.S you still special :(

To get back on topic for a moment (don't mind the conversation at all - I find this all interesting), as far as the pumps go, should I get the MCP655 or MCP35x? Does the 655 need a reservoir at all? Is it just not built in directly like the 35x?

Anyway, I'm thinking of going with the Apogee XT Extreme block and either the EK GTX 470 blocks or the Koolance 470 blocks (the Koolances are apparently easier to set up and cool very well).
Supposedly the Apogee is "on sale" at frozencpu.com for $70. Is that truly a sale, or should I look somewhere else?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9767/ex-blc-679/Swiftech_Apogee_XT_Extreme_Flagship_Performance_CPU_Waterblock-_Sockets_77511561366_On_Sale_.html?tl=g30c325s839

As for a radiator, it seems like everybody is using the MCR320 in the Raven. I don't know which model to get though, so any insight there is appreciated.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The MCP35x is a smaller form, similar to the MCP355, but supposedly more potent than the MCP655. Neither has a built in res, but you can get aftermarket res/tops for both. A couple of bay res's for the 655 actually allow you to integrate the pump into the res. Even the MCP355 with a top would perform well enough for your loop, if you really wanted to go that route. It's all preference. There are other brands of pumps, but the Laing DDC/D5 versions of these are used a lot.

The Apogee XT Extreme is a pretty good block and you wouldn't be disappointed. Would others perform better? Perhaps...how much? Likely not a whole lot. I'm still using my D-tek v2 on mine for a while, now.

As for radiators...the MCR320's pretty common for price/performance. You just have to look...some have the reservoir built in, some have a pump, etc. Which ones are you looking at? I got mine at Petra's Tech Shop for about $53 each.

Edit: Looks like they are cheaper now...$50.
http://www.petrastechshop.com/swmcqposerab1.html

Edit Edit: Just noticed something..."Ports and Mounting: M3.5 threaded fan and case-mounting holes, 1/4" NPSM ports

Edit Edit Edit: FrozenCPU has the newer ones with G1/4:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5...diator_-_Black_MCR320-QP-K.html?tl=g30c95s161

Maybe those at Petra's are on sale because of this. Just make sure you are getting G1/4; it will make life easier. Nylon barbs would likely work with the older version, but its up to you."

Most watercooling components use G1/4. You could use this rad, but you'll need some different barbs as most regular ones won't thread these correctly. I'll check around...I heard they were supposed to be going G1/4.