Sign in with
Your question

Windows movie maker XP will not work because it cannot find the audio device

Last response: in Windows XP
September 24, 2011 2:04:24 PM

Hello,

"Windows Movie maker will not work because Audio hardware cannot be found", is an error message I receive when trying to open it. I have checked the driver in device manager, and the driver is listed "Conexant HD smart audio 221" Can you inform me if I have to configure something or what can I do to correct the situation?

Thank you for your anticipated co-operation

Kind regards

Trev Bottomley
September 24, 2011 2:25:59 PM

You can try going to Start - Settings - Control Panel - Sound & Audio Devices - Audio tab and make sure your device is selected, make sure a MIDI SoundFont is selected, you can also click the Use Only Default Devices when done. Is this onboard Audio or add-in card ?
September 24, 2011 2:39:56 PM

Hi Cyberat

Thanks for your reply, my audio is on-board, Conexant HD smart audio 221. I tried your suggestion but the sound playback, sound recording boxes, MIDI music playback and use only default devices boxes are all greyed out. Can you suggest anything else?

Thank you in anticipation.

Kind Regards

Trevor Bottomley
September 24, 2011 2:42:14 PM

Benbotto said:
Hello,

"Windows Movie maker will not work because Audio hardware cannot be found", is an error message I receive when trying to open it. I have checked the driver in device manager, and the driver is listed "Conexant HD smart audio 221" Can you inform me if I have to configure something or what can I do to correct the situation?

Thank you for your anticipated co-operation

Kind regards

Trev Bottomley

TREV ,
If your audio is working for other needs for instance if you can put a CD in and play music the your intergrated audio it working.It seems you have a problem with the movie maker application (did you check device manager ,sound video and game controllers) if in device manager there is no yellow exclamation mark or red X then your hardware for the sound is OK . I would run the System File Checker utility ! First put your supplied O/S installation CD in your DVD /CD drive,if you have auto play then tap on the shift key till it stops trying to run the CD.Go to the Start Button bottom left hand corner of your toolbar then click on run,type sfc /scannow(note the space between the c and the / ) then OK to run the utility . This will scan your system for any missing files that are needed for the O/S to run properly ,after the utility has completed its scanning and replacing any missing files remove CD and restart your PC . Hopefully this will fix your problem for the audio for the movie maker application!
Best Wishes NicRic
Related resources
!