2600k OC and BIOS reset questions

Burritoclock

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I recently built a new Core I7 2600k system. I had no trouble OCing my old I7, but I found a "guide" to acheiving 4.5 on the new 2600k, so I simply plugged in all their numbers... as I haven't really delved into voltages before (other then an ever so slight bump up)...

Anyway, system booted fine and loaded windows. I got realtemp and CPU-z up. Loaded prime 95 and ran it. Temps were shockingly low, around 65C. After about 20 sec BSOD. No big deal, not stable.

I am almost 100% sure it was a ram issue, as I knew better than to increase the RAM voltage. I have this kit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231315

As you can see it CLEARLY says voltage: 1.5v but I thought that meant standard and I could bump it to 1.65v (which might be true, but why did I not try it at 1.5v and then bump...)

I also increased the BLCK to 1010 to get 101mhz.

Now I say all that potentially useless info to get to my question, first of all how necessary is it to boost the BLCK? I'm not looking to break a record, just a nice stable 4.3ghz+ is fine. So I assume there is no reason. Also the ram is rated at 1600, defaults to 1333 but simply turning on XMP will get it to 1600 so again there is no need to boost voltage.

I should just try changing the multiplier to 45x and seeing if it's stable I think.

Lastly, after the BSOD I reset the system, but the BIOS would just hang on the logo screen. Eventually I had to pull the battery to reset it at which point everything loaded fine. I know you can reset with a jumper, but do you need a plain cap, or is there another way to safely trip the reset jumper.

Thanks for hearing me out guys and for any help. It is always much appreciated! Specs below just in case.

Intel Core i7-2600K
GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
and a V8 cooler.... because I didn't come here and research first :)