Sign in with
Your question

Is this rig good enough -- entry level rig...please comment

Last response: in Systems
April 24, 2009 7:18:03 AM

Hi guyz...i am planning to build a new rig...the specs are:

Processor:INTEL DUAL CORE E5200 2.5Ghz (2MB CACHE - 800Mhz FSB)
MOBO: ASUS (INTEL) P5KPL-CM INTEL G31+ICH7 (LGA775-AGP+SND+GIGA LAN)
RAM: Corsair 2gb XMS2
HDD: Seagate 320GB
ROM: Samsung DVD
PSU: Cooler Master 500 Watts
GPU: HIS ICE Q 4850 512MB
LCD: Samsung 933BW 19 inch

I am not gonna do OC...i am not a gaming freak ...plays like 3-4 hours a week ... Please comment

Cheers

April 24, 2009 7:28:19 AM

Yes...its a pretty good entry level system...
But get the Gigabyte mobo...they are better rated than the ASUS...
GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L
And as for the PSU, what is the model number ?
Related resources
April 24, 2009 7:32:44 AM

Can i be able to use the above mentioned rig for a year or so...dont have money to upgrade for another 1-2 years :) 
April 24, 2009 7:51:12 AM

Ohh...yeah you can use it for a year easy...But more than that maybe you would have to upgrade the CPU...
Well that time maybe you can look into overclocking...It would certainly increase the performance...If you would do more research on overclocking later, I think you mite be comfortable with it...
a b å Intel
April 24, 2009 5:26:13 PM

mavrick81 said:
Hi guyz...i am planning to build a new rig...the specs are:

Processor:INTEL DUAL CORE E5200 2.5Ghz (2MB CACHE - 800Mhz FSB)
MOBO: ASUS (INTEL) P5KPL-CM INTEL G31+ICH7 (LGA775-AGP+SND+GIGA LAN)
RAM: Corsair 2gb XMS2
HDD: Seagate 320GB
ROM: Samsung DVD
PSU: Cooler Master 500 Watts
GPU: HIS ICE Q 4850 512MB
LCD: Samsung 933BW 19 inch

I am not gonna do OC...i am not a gaming freak ...plays like 3-4 hours a week ... Please comment

Cheers

I think I would get a 4gb corsair kit instead. It is only $29.99 after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
More ram is one of the best performance improvers for the dollar.

What case will you use?
You can get some nice Antec cases with a decent psu included.
a b å Intel
April 24, 2009 5:36:43 PM

Looks okay.

There are lots of great older games and even some newer ones that are awesome and will run nicely on your system.

You'd probably have a good experience with Half-Life 2 as an older game. I imagine Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 will look pretty good on your system when they come out.

Crysis is not really worth the effort on that system.

You can go to Gamespot and show ALL the games listed by rating or year. Grab some demos, get a feel. Just because you don't have the latest and can't play all the latest games doesn't mean you can't have a fun gaming PC that will last you a while. Again, just pick and choose your games.

Operating System?

Microsoft is releasing Windows 7 RC to the public to test for free on May 5th. Why not get a copy of that for free?

I also recommend getting 4GB and using a 64-bit Operating System. You'll notice a difference from 2GB to 4GB just in basic usage. I did. You will. It shouldn't add much cost.

Monitor:
I should add that if your on a budget, you might wish to look around local ads and see if anyone's selling a used CRT monitor. They do have advantages in contrast, colour and viewing angle. Just an idea.
a b å Intel
April 24, 2009 5:50:21 PM

If you're not much of a gamer, and the games you do play aren't extremely demanding, consider a lesser GPU if it will let you get a better CPU. That's contrary to the advice often given around here, but the e5200 isn't all that great unless you overclock it, and 1) micro-ATX boards often aren't good overclockers, and 2) you say you don't want to overclock anyway. You might either reconsider that, and choose a full-sized ATX mobo (either P43 or P45), or get a better CPU. A screen resolution of 1440x900 (your monitor) doesn't need a high-end GPU.
What else will you be doing with this PC, and what game(s) do you play, even if only a few hours a week?
!