thefoyfoy

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
The basic rundown:
I ordered a setup from ibuypower.
750i Nforce
Nvidia 9800 GTX
Xp Pro

Upon attempt to update 9800's driver, it crashes after xp logo. Any driver update for it past 178.24 causes it to fail to load windows. it stops on a black screen, occasionally, cursor is there, after 5 min or so it blue screens and reboots, So i imagine, 178.24 and beyond are trying to do something that my setup can't handle.

I contacted the good folks at ibuypower, they sent me a new card, replaced, same exact problem.
They suggested a new MOBO (perhaps slot is defective). I replaced Mobo, chip and all, runs exactly the same.
I put in a new HDD and installed xp into it via disk computer came with, so completely clean install of XP, attempted to update drivers for 9800. Same crash.
I've also updated bios on mobo and card to most recent, saw no difference.

It seems the only other element at play here would be the power supply, but this certainly doesnt sound like a psu problem, i only have 1 9800 and it crashes the same spot every time. Doesnt even seem its worth addressing.

So I post here for any other suggestions before i take the next step, which would be sending the computer back to them (certainly not ideal, i would have to pay shipping as well), or spending my own money on a different card, hoping it would behave differently, and probably having to ebay this 9800.

So, any suggestions would help, thanks.

G

hey up mate, a friend is having a similar issue at the moment did you resolve it?

his set up runs ok but with glitching graphics when scrolling the screen, it does exactly the same thing yours does/did (your post from may'09) so we disabled the graphic card in the hardware list and as i say it causes glitchiness when scrolling, but it still works in 16 and 32 bit and you can change the resolution up and down, but only with the graphic card disabled.... any help will be great, if you solved the problem.

steve

thefoyfoy

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
It was resolved, after replacing the mobo, the video card and a new OS i just sent it back to ibuypower.com where I got it from. Apparently, all they did was change the videocard out for the same type, but different manufacturer (It was XFX i was using, now it is an EVGA). Runs flawlessly now. Sorry I know that's not exactly a helpful solution since it just suggests buying a new card, but that's how it was solved.

foy