Asus Crosshair IV Extreme: How do I replace hard drive in RAID array?

general r2

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I've got a computer with an Asus Crosshair IV Extreme mobo and the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Thuban processor. I'm able to set up 4 hard drives in RAID 5 (using the built in RAID controller on the mobo).

One of the hard drives went bad and I replaced it with a new one. When the computer boots up, I press Ctrl+F but don't find an option to rebuild the array. Nor did this mobo come with any software (that I know of) to handle this.

So my question is, when a hard drive fails in a RAID 5 array on this mobo, how do you fix it? How do you put the new hard drive back into the array?

Thanks.

Solution
There MUST be a REBUILD option. There is no point of having a RAID5 array otherwise.

It may be in your BIOS (DEL key?).

I'm not an expert on RAID. I assume REBUILD means it will just rebuild the new drive to MIRROR the others.

You should have a manual, or can download one.

My BIOS has a REBUILD command when I enter it and then enter the link to my RAID.
There MUST be a REBUILD option. There is no point of having a RAID5 array otherwise.

It may be in your BIOS (DEL key?).

I'm not an expert on RAID. I assume REBUILD means it will just rebuild the new drive to MIRROR the others.

You should have a manual, or can download one.

My BIOS has a REBUILD command when I enter it and then enter the link to my RAID.

Solution

general r2

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010

I think I've got my answer.

No, there's nothing in the BIOS that does this.

When pressing Ctrl+F, AMD's ROM Utility comes up. You can't do it there either.

I think you have to use RAIDXpert. FYI, the default username and password is "admin" and "admin".

I'm running some tests now to see if this is my solution.

general r2

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
Yeah, I think I've got it.

1. RAIDXpert is installed by installing the "AMD Chipset Driver" found on the mobo CD (or you can download it from AMD)
2. Start > All Programs > AMD > RAIDXpert > RAIDXpert
3. Log in using username and password "admin" and "admin"
4. Under AMD RAIDXpert menu, expand "Logical Drive View" and select your Logical Drive, for me it was "Logical Drive 1".
5. Go to the Rebuild tab and you'll see the new hard drive you put in. Select it and rebuild.

I've got 2TB drives so this is going to take a while.

I hope this solution works for others.

One issue I found was that when I installed the AMD Chipset Driver after a hard drive failure, the controller doesn't show up in RAIDXpert. Therefore, I'd suggest running RAIDXpert after building a new machine just to make sure you can see the controller. If not, fix the issue before you put the machine into production.

Take care.