Is this a good deal for a budget Gaming PC?

eddy8

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Hi, I want to have a custom pc built that will be able to play all current generation games on at least medium settings.

It needs to be under 600 Canadian Dollars (Which is about 500 US dollars)

I found a local store that makes custom computers and I'd like to know if the following specifications I chose are decent enough for the price. Stability is VERY important to me as well, the PC can't blow up or fry on me and needs to last at least 2 years without and problems.

Specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ AM2,512KBx2,2.7GHz -$76 CAD

RAM: Kingston 2GB DDR2-6400 800MHz (KVR800D2N5/2G) -$35 CAD

Mobo: ASRock N68PV-GS (VGA&DVI-D,2DDR2,PCI-E,RAID,GbLAN) -$64 CAD

HDD: WD Caviar Blue 160GB 7200RPM 8MB SATA II (WD1600AAJS) -$50

Optical Drive: LG 22X GH22NS30 DVD+/-RW DL SATA Drive (Black) -$35

VG Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 4830 512MB GDDR3 256bit PCI-E 2.0 -$165 CAD

Case: Antec Three Hundred The Versatile Gamer Case (Black) -$75 CAD

PSU: Thermaltake Purepower 500W With 120mm Fan (W0100RU) $75 CAD

TOTAL: $570 CAD (<480 USD)

Free assembly.

The prices of the components are equivalent to what they are on newegg.ca, except minus the shipping and tax which makes them cheaper. I don't even know how these people make a profit given that they are selling it at parts price but they have a legit website, store and an ebay account as powersellers with a high rating...

Is this a good deal? I'd prefer to trim it down to 550$ if possible, and I wouldn't mind buying a cheaper video card to do that, but I want the cheapest card out there still capable of playing most games such as Bioshock, CoD4 on medium to high settings. Is there any cheaper alternative to that Vg card that would do the job?

I also heard that a new ATI card is coming out on April 28th, so I assume the one above will go down in price then. How much of a price drop should I expect? I want to get under 550$ CAD if possible.

It looks to be an OK deal.
The case (and maybe PSU) are one area you might trim prices and not loose any performance. They're more than 25% of your cost and they don't help anything "go faster".
Do you have options available?

How much extra would it cost you to get a X2 7750 Kuma:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz $72 @ NewEgg.ca
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.7GHz $70 @ NewEgg.ca

I'd say for your budget you are on the right track. I wouln't go with anything less than a 4830 if you plan to game. The 4800 series is their gaming card. The 4670 would be ok, but you will like the 4830 MUCH more.

7750 Kuma is also a "Black Edition" for easier overclocking. Using "AMD Overdrive" and the stock cooler you essentially have a 3.2Ghz CPU for gaming.

amd_kuma_athlon_x2_7750_3dmark06.jpg

eddy8

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009

Hey, thanks for the suggestions everyone!

The cpu would add on 11$. Is the difference worth it, would it impact gaming performance of current gen games?

I was thinking that maybe the case and psu were expensive but I heard a lot of horror stories about computers frying because of non brand psu's or cases with bad cooling. I'm completely illiterate about pc gaming so I've tried to assemble the above PC using what I came to understand through some research.

This is the site, that pc there is just some example configuration not the one I listed above. There are a lot of options to choose from.

http://www.etccomputer.ca/eShop/default.asp?selection=customize&systemid=5379

If you have any suggestions for a cheaper, but still reliable psu and case I'm all ears!

Cooler Master Centurion 5 Silver&Black Case saves you $11 and its a decent case. Pays for the 7750 Kuma upgrade.

I didnt see a PSU on the list that saved money that I thought worth recommending.

fullmetall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
When it comes to PSU, money shouldnt matter, it's about how reliable it is going to be on your build.

Should look more into quality for your build instead of how much its going to be, that always leaves you with the little psu.

eddy8

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Hey, thanks for the help everyone!

I'm not going to be getting the PC until the end of June, I'm wondering if anyone knows of prices will come down on any of my components by then?

Specifically the HD4830? I heard that there is some new ATI VG card coming out tomorrow (28th) that will replace the 4830. Should I expect a 4830 price drop in the coming days/weeks?

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I think the new dual phenom's come out in June, or maybe the athlon's but I can't remember which one.

the athlon's will have more cores but no L3 cache, however they are 45nm so you will be able to oc a bit further, probably a good 500mhz further with a good cooler.