Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive is not detected

Last response: in Storage
December 5, 2010 11:14:02 AM

Hey guys,
Recently my PSU broke down, I replaced it yesterday with a 500watts one, and I could actually start up my PC again!
However, just moments after the PC started up, I got this error:

I tried the F2 option, setting it to defaults and continue but then I stumble upon this one:

No matter what I do, reboot, retry it keeps on giving me this damn error.

I searched for hours on google and it seems to be a common problem, only problem is, there are 100000 of things that can cause this error.

As a last resort I would reinstall windows, be done with it so I could atleast use my pc again, however, this is what the setup told me:

So it seems it can't detect my HDD at all, what I thought then, is that it might be my HDD, that the broken PSU could have fried it, so I replaced it with the HDD of my buddy (which I could borrow to try it out) but it gave me the same error.

Could any of you guys help me out with this problem? I tried almost everything but I can't seem to fix it!
Thank you so much in advance!
greetings, Sander.

More about : hard drive detected

a b G Storage
December 5, 2010 11:40:51 AM

So, can you see your HDD in the BIOS or not?
December 5, 2010 5:42:53 PM

mosox said:
So, can you see your HDD in the BIOS or not?

Yes I can! I can select in what order to boot up, I tried every possible order only it doesn't help
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 5, 2010 6:37:08 PM

Take out the CMOS battery on the mobo for a while and put it back.
December 5, 2010 7:40:45 PM

mosox said:
Take out the CMOS battery on the mobo for a while and put it back.

Alright I've done something and I've got progress.
I took out the cmos and put my buddies' HDD in again, it go recognized in my bios as sata driver and when I tried to install windows, it would let me.
when I just let it boot, it told me the same error: please select proper boot device.

What should I do, I have a strong feeling my HDD is broken, because when I boot up with my own HDD it makes a weird noise and my BIOS won't seem to recognize it, the other HDD gets recognized and lets me install windows on it, only it still gives me that damn boot selection error.

Any advice?
a c 813 G Storage
December 5, 2010 8:13:51 PM

Did you delete the existing partition, then define a new one, and format it before you installed windows?
a b G Storage
December 5, 2010 8:17:12 PM

Is it selected as primary boot drive in your BIOS? And when you are installing the OS put the DVD as primary not the HDD.
December 5, 2010 8:29:51 PM

mosox said:
Is it selected as primary boot drive in your BIOS? And when you are installing the OS put the DVD as primary not the HDD.

Hey man,
I have my DVD drive as first and then my HDD.
December 5, 2010 8:37:35 PM

popatim said:
Did you delete the existing partition, then define a new one, and format it before you installed windows?

I haven't installed windows on it, because the whole problem is that my windows install can't detect the drive.
a b G Storage
December 5, 2010 9:28:17 PM

Have you tried reseting bios to default?
a b G Storage
December 6, 2010 12:20:53 AM

You hit the F2 option that loaded the default options which set the SATA controller into AHCI mode. You need to set the SATA controller in to IDE mode in the BIOS or install the SATA AHCI drivers by hitting F6 when the Windows install program asks for additional drivers.

December 6, 2010 9:03:36 AM

pjmelect said:
You hit the F2 option that loaded the default options which set the SATA controller into AHCI mode. You need to set the SATA controller in to IDE mode in the BIOS or install the SATA AHCI drivers by hitting F6 when the Windows install program asks for additional drivers.

hey man thanks for replying,.
When I go in to bios, the sata controller is on IDE mode .
!