Ghostly Gothic Manor

Yesterday, my daughter and I decided to create a gothic manor with a
complement of ghosts suitable for entertaining knowledge seeking sims
(who get to be very hard to please as they climb the aspiration
ladder).

It had to be a romantic castle-ly blend of funeral home and small, tall
and stately manor. Lots of stonework, ironwork, stained glass windows
and elegant paneling. Building the house was the easy part, though
keeping it stylishly eery took some time and thought.

Then came creating the ghosts. My daughter had the inspired idea to
create old people who were mostly maxed at playful and outgoing (with
the rest in active) in the hopes of getting ghosts who would interact
with the future residents and their guests. One, Mary, was maxed in
neat and playful, with the rest in active in order to not have this
house of cheery old slobs become a roach infested haven. (This choice
of playful+outgoing actually seems an inspired choice that matches the
game mechanics).

Ok, so soon we have eight old people, waiting around to die. Several
days go by with them having pillow fights, playing in bathtubs and
socializing away. Most of them got more and more depressed...except
for Mary who was climbing the aspiration ladder cleaning up after
everyone.

Not to be too cruel, the kindly owners bought a chess set and a
collection of musical instruments so the messy but talkative sims would
have a way to improve their aspirations while playing. The bathtub
still was king, but now the sims were going from red to green, and
getting along quite well. So long as someone occastionally cooked
group meals. They spent time cloud watching, but could not often do
this, and no satellites arrived. They turned greener still.

Then, alas, the microwave upstairs caught fire. Six sims crowded
around it screaming. One of the sims downstairs heard the commotion
and called the fire truck. Which took forever to arrive. By then,
three or four sims were on fire (in the cavorting crowd, it was hard to
tell who was ablaze and who was just excited). Still, the brave fire
department put them all out. Everyone survived. Sigh. The microwave
was replaced. But those six sims were all red and unhappy for days.
Those who had caught fire feared burning to death the remainder of
their days.

Slowly, they mostly turned green again. And the ad hoc music they
often played became tolerable. But, of course, eventually the hour
glass of time turned (despite the sims attempts to reverse it), and
three of the lower aspiration sims passed away.

To leave an estate, they adopted a lovely child, Rosemarie. Over the
next few days, she studied cooking, viewed paintings, being terrified
by ghosts and watched sime after sim fail to meet their aspiration
grade to live another day. Mary, however, eventually got enough
aspiration to buy the elixir of life. When she did not buy it, hula
dancers arrived and sang here away to heaven. Rosemarie had many
traumatic memories, ending with Hank losing his struggle with the hour
glass and the social worker came and took her away.

The mansion was put up for sale, and bought by Gomez and Morticia
Addams....who are very likely to see these active prankster ghosts
frequently enough that they can have a long and knowledge-seeking life.

(Kimmee says 'hi'.)

DeAnn writes:

> The mansion was put up for sale, and bought by Gomez and Morticia
> Addams....who are very likely to see these active prankster ghosts
> frequently enough that they can have a long and knowledge-seeking life.

Sounds like a ton of work. How long did all this take in real-world
time?

I've thought of calling up a gardener or maid or something and trapping
them in the swimming pool or in a room with no doors or something until
they expire, in order to make a few ghosts, but it seems to be very
time-consuming.

Scotty

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2001

If you have Uni, get the Cow Plant. I have a nice cemetary in one of my frat
houses full of cheerleaders, aka Cow Plant food. :)

Scotty

"DeAnn" <diwan@mitre.org> wrote in message
> [...]
> glass of time turned (despite the sims attempts to reverse it), and
> three of the lower aspiration sims passed away.
>
> To leave an estate, they adopted a lovely child, Rosemarie. Over the
> next few days, she studied cooking, viewed paintings, being terrified
> by ghosts and watched sime after sim fail to meet their aspiration
> grade to live another day. Mary, however, eventually got enough
> aspiration to buy the elixir of life. When she did not buy it, hula
> dancers arrived and sang here away to heaven. Rosemarie had many
> traumatic memories, ending with Hank losing his struggle with the hour
> glass and the social worker came and took her away.
>
> The mansion was put up for sale, and bought by Gomez and Morticia
> Addams....who are very likely to see these active prankster ghosts
> frequently enough that they can have a long and knowledge-seeking life.

I'm not sure how long it took to create...about 6-8 hours. I spent a
lot of time in slow mode watching the sims....it could be done faster
at triple speed. It takes 10-15 game days for elders to expire....I
think they started at 67 and went through around day 72.

Is there a way to rename lots? The lot has the very undescriptive name
of "Dormers" since I started out trying to build dormers as a part of
the mansion. But if anyone downloaded it, it would be to have the
ready made ghosts. So a more descriptive name (like Ghostly Gothic
Manor) would be more appropriate. That is, I can upload it and comment
here....but I'd rather change the name first.

"DeAnn" <diwan@mitre.org> wrote in message
> Yesterday, my daughter and I decided to create a gothic manor with a
> complement of ghosts suitable for entertaining knowledge seeking sims
> (who get to be very hard to please as they climb the aspiration
> ladder).

What are the chances of you uploading some pics of the GGM to the binaries
group? I'd love to see it. Better still, upload it to the exchange!

Also, there's a good chance that Mary will keep cleaning from beyond the
grave. In my game, Pascal Curious's alien daughter was maxed out on neat
points and now her ghost can often be found cleaning the toilet. That's how
I want to spend my afterlife - not!

aahz

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005

LOL, my cowplant's fattened up on mailmen stupid enough to accept an invite
over. Serves them right too...do they even ONCE bring my publishers clearing
house? No, only bills. All I can say is: BURP!

Latest posts