wasp74820

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
On the subject of the 512mb 8500gt, I just got one from a friend and was thinking of replacing my 9700Pro (with another motherboard of course). Is this card comparable to or above the 9700Pro performance or should I look elsewhere? I know this card is rather old but right now I just really want to make the transition to a faster CPU / RAM and I don't want to lose gaming performance. My situation is purely budget based and I have looked all over the internet trying to find an answer to this question but there is so much technology difference between the two I have found nothing to compare them with.

Thanks!

efeat

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
Yeah the performance is about the same. Really though, if you're that strapped for cash it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend money on a new graphics card that is 0% faster. Even something simple like the 3650 would be a significant upgrade without costing much more.

wasp74820

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Thanks for answering my question efeat and AKM880! As long as it's comparable to the 9700 then I can make due with it long enough to save up again and get something respectable. Right now I'm in the process of upgrading motherboard, processor, RAM, etc... etc. Saving the video for last to finally get me back up to speed with the times. I'm really excited about building this thing and thank you both for your help :)