Sign in with
Your question

Front panel audio jack doesnt work! PLEASE HELP

Last response: in Motherboards
October 13, 2009 12:02:04 AM

ok, so i just built my gaming i5 build a couple weeks ago and everything went well besides my front panel audio.
So the problem is really wierd. i plug in headphones into the jack and the computer doesnt even recognise that they have been plugged in like the back audio jacks. i messed around with HD audio manager for awhile playing the sounds and everything but the sounds comes through my moniter speakers and 1 of my headphone speakers. so i dont think its wired right or something

Motherboard: P55M-UD2 LGA1156
Case: Cooler master storm scout

alright this is what i did to set up the audio. so the case comes with 2 options with the front panel audio connection: AC'97 or HD audio. i plugged in the HD because that looked a lot better. and thats prety much it. was i suppose to plug in AC'97? And i plugged it into the F_audio thing on the MOBO.

All of the front pannel USB ports and eveything else seems to be working ok except the audio jack, oh and ive never seen the HDD light on either...
i cant think of any info im missing, so if you guys happen to want to help me and you need some info. then ill reply back.

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated! i reallly want this jack to work correctly.

More about : front panel audio jack doesnt work

a c 156 V Motherboard
October 13, 2009 4:45:13 PM

Yes, the HD connector goes into the F_Audio header. You may have a problem with the wiring, but I am not familiar with that case.

For the HD LED, plug the connector in so the white wire goes to the "-" terminal and the colored wire goes to the "+" terminal.
a c 177 V Motherboard
October 13, 2009 5:04:42 PM

I checked the documentation for your case against the MOBO pin-outs - they are correct, and you do want to plug in the 'HD_Audio' plug. To test and configure

clicking on the arrow circled in green should produce a test noise that will move from speaker to speaker to check that you have sound, and that it's appearing in the correct speaker. Then, click on the item circled in red to get this, and set as shown:

This will 'mute' the main speakers when the headphones are plugged in. If you are still 'missing' sound in one speaker, unplug and replug your connector to the motherboard (you pretty much can't plug it in wrong - it's 'keyed' [missing pin on MOBO header - corresponding blocked pin socket on plug] to prevent that), and examine it carefully to ensure that the plug has no 'backed out' wires - the actual pin connectors inside the plug are retained [kept from pushing out backwards when inserting the plug] by a pair of nearly microscopic 'ears' that are bent open inside the socket's retaining ridge - it's easy for one to get dislodged, giving poor or no connection; if this is the case, simply grasp the wire behind the connector with a good tweezers, or a small 'needle-nosed' pliers, and push it in, towards the connector/motherboard. If you still have problems, it will be important to note whether the sound is only 'missing' from one headphone element, or if it's missing from both the headphone and the speakers (monitor ones?) that you are attempting to connect...

Oh - and your hard drive light connection is probably just reversed in polarity - unplug it, and turn the plug around the other way...
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
October 13, 2009 5:08:48 PM

If your audio jacks work in the back, where they're hard-wired in, but not in the front, then it is a wiring problem. (Actually, read above since it appears you can have different output to each)

When you choose Sounds and Audio from the Control Panel - what is the default device? HD or AC97? Need to hook up appropriately or change the output.

Most likely you want HD, both in device and wiring. Your motherboard has an HD wiring diagram and sounds like your front panel does too. Double chk to make sure you're using the same for both again.

Print out both case wiring diagram and the MB pin config - since you don't want to fiddle with the power on and reading them.
Here's the MB diagram:
October 18, 2009 1:44:10 AM

You should use the AC97 plug. That's what I did on my case (R5601) which, like your case, only has a headphone and microphone jack. After that, there is one more option to deal with... look in your motherboard manual and you will find (near the end) the part on configuring your sound... there is a section "Activating an AC'97 Front Panel Audio Module". Follow the directions and you should be set :) 

---Brian
a c 177 V Motherboard
October 18, 2009 2:01:03 AM

Quote:
You should use the AC97 plug.

No, actually, if you have a choice (two connectors, as on most CM cases), you want to use the HD connector, as only it offers the option of automatic muting of the speakers when a set of headphones is plugged in, and of 'tying up' the other input (microphone) connector, when the front one is in use. Typically, the reason you're provided the option is that older motherboards often did not support HD_Audio...

Quote:
High Definition Audio, also known as HD Audio, is an audio standard created by Intel to be used on their chipsets, i.e. it is a standard for high-quality on-board audio. HD Audio was designed to replace the Audio Codec 97 (AC'97) standard that Intel released in 1997. The main achievement of the AC'97 specification was the audio quality improvement in popular sound cards by complete separation of analog and digital sections, and the raise in maximum playback sample frequency up to 48 kHz for compatibility with the audio format in DVD-Video. With the success of DVD movies encoded with Dolby Digital and DTS multi-channel audio formats, consumers had become accustomed to listening in full surround sound with anywhere from six to eight speakers. The AC'97 technology struggled to keep pace with advancements. Finally after AC'97 v2.3 Intel switched over to the HD Audio standard.

Intel HD Audio delivers significant improvements over previous generation integrated audio and sound cards. Intel HD Audio hardware is capable of delivering the support and sound quality for up to eight channels at 192 kHz/32-bit quality, while the AC'97 specification could only support six channels at 48 kHz/20-bit. HD Audio is also designed to prevent the occasional glitches or pops that other audio solutions can have by providing dedicated system bandwidth for critical audio functions. All Intel chipsets based on PCI Express bus such as the 955x, 945g and 945p Express chipsets are designed to support HD Audio. The HD audio standard enables multi-streaming i.e. it allows consumers to play back two different audio tracks simultaneously.

The Intel HD Audio standard also enables enhanced voice capture through the use of array microphones, giving users more accurate speech input. While other audio implementations have limited support for simple array microphones, HD Audio supports larger array microphones. It also supports Jack Retasking wherein the computer is able to configure the jack depending on the device connected. For example if a speaker is plugged into a microphone jack, the computer simply reconfigures the jack to work as a speaker jack.
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2009 3:42:35 AM

LOL, that explains something that happened. I was rewiring and noted which plug my speaker was in to return it later. And after I plugged it back in, I noticed it was in the wrong jack - so fixed it. But couldn't believe I had remembered where it was before incorrectly. So I guess it re-programed the other port to drive the speaker.

Ya know, if they can make these things clever - and who really needs it to be. Why can't they make memory slots that configure themselves automatically?
!