Sign in with
Your question

Intel RAID 5 failure

Last response: in Storage
December 5, 2010 3:32:23 PM

Hello,
I have had four 1TB hdds in a RAID 5 for a while now storage only (no OS). I was starting to run low on space and so I added another hdd. Well when I added the drive the Intel matrix storage software said it was adding the drive and updating the array.(paraphrasing)In the middle of the array updating my wife shutdown the system. after reboot two of the five drives are now reporting errors and I cannot access the array. What can I do to fix this problem and keep my data?
MOBO: DFI P35 ICH9R
HDD: 5 Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB each.
running windows 7 ultimate 64bit

More about : intel raid failure

a b å Intel
a c 885 G Storage
December 5, 2010 8:58:12 PM

Hopefully you backed up your data before you added the drive but if you skipped that then you are only as good as your last backup. Sorry but part of your data is across 4 drives and part across 5. I don't know anything that can recover from that.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 6, 2010 7:48:18 PM

I would concur.

RAID (IMHO) belongs on servers, not workstations. Drivers can (and will) be flaky.

RAID expansion on Netgear's X-RAID2 NAS devices can recover from something like that; but I would be real surprised if there is a fix for you, sorry.
m
l
Related resources
December 8, 2010 9:30:58 PM

Because you have 2 drive failures basically your data is gone. The hard drives are probably fine tho. You just need to rebuild the RAID array again.

mblack said:
Hello,
I have had four 1TB hdds in a RAID 5 for a while now storage only (no OS). I was starting to run low on space and so I added another hdd. Well when I added the drive the Intel matrix storage software said it was adding the drive and updating the array.(paraphrasing)In the middle of the array updating my wife shutdown the system. after reboot two of the five drives are now reporting errors and I cannot access the array. What can I do to fix this problem and keep my data?
MOBO: DFI P35 ICH9R
HDD: 5 Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB each.
running windows 7 ultimate 64bit

m
l
December 11, 2010 9:15:54 PM

The errors are removed. When I start to rebuild the array the program says it will take around 40 hours to rebuild. after around 10 it shows an error. says that the rebuild operation failed. to shut down and reinsert the drive and reboot. that the operation will start automatically. with this done the process starts all over and the error returns.

Now what?
m
l
December 23, 2010 8:50:29 PM

Run a hard drive diagnostic. Find out what the brand is, go to that site, and download their tool and run it.
m
l
!