MA790FXT and G Skill Ripjaws 1600 77724 1.65v Help

03RAH03

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
I have an MA790FXT board with G Skill Ripjaws http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820231279

SPD says the ram has timings of 9 9 9 24, though the memory is advertised as being 7 7 7 24 on the box. I try to set the timings to 7 7 7 24 and I get 12 beeps and a boot error. DRAM voltage is set to 1.615 so i set it to 1.65 volts, same problem.

I also am running a stock 955 atm. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

03RAH03

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
the best timings I can get is 8-7-7-24 with a voltage of 1.61 . Increasing it to 1.65 volts does not allow me to increase CAS timing to 7. The ram is specced at 1.65 volts so i haven't really wanted to go over that. Anyone dealt with this problem?

03RAH03

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009

I'm not running CPU-Z yet. I haven't put the system on the net yet, I will see about getting that program and putting it on my computer.

I don't understand why not seeing the whole SPD would cause the problem. My understanding of SPD is that it just stores the ram settings. You mention EPP/XMP profiles as higher speed settings, that I am not seeing. Are those profiles more than just for telling the mobo that the ram runs with these settings, do they also say "These are the settings the ram runs at, and this is how you use it" ?

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
You're right about the spd as I understand it. Bilbat is an expert tho. XMP is not involved since you're using AMD.

But is your RAM running at 1600? You mention the timing, but not the speed.

And try tweaking the voltage up to 1.7 also - 1st thing to try when you can't get advertised latency from the RAM.

Have you previously had problems getting full speed/timing on this motherboard?

Are you runing 2 - 2GB modules? Or 4? Is there other RAM in the system?

Your link didn't work - is this the one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231279
Are you sure you got this RAM and not a different RipJaws model? Chk the label
F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH

Are you "Frank" from the NewEgg comments or is someone else with the same board having identical problems?

(I keep editing this!)

The MB specs mention 1666 speed only with AM3 processors, which yours is. But are you running the F5 or greater BIOS rev? F5 is needed for the 955 cpu.

bilbat

Splendid
The SPD on faster chips is 'extended' with extra timing tables that contain the settings for the higher speed - some BIOS will set them automatically by using the "Load Optimized Defaults" function - some need to be 'tweaked' by hand; can't tell by looking, and I'm not a big fan of AMD, so I don't know firsthand. Use of the tool I mentioned will show you pretty much all the settings, if you need to set 'em manually. You are only going by the first four items of the timing set - there are at least six more that need to be correctly set, not counting the separate tRFCs for each DIMM: tWTR, tWR, tRFC, tRTP, tRC, and CPC...

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
That's true, I've not had trouble with the "other numbers" myself and am frustrated that CPUz doesn't list them all. So is the list in memset the "complete" list of everything that's included in the spd? What about the nanosecond stuff that's often available, I never see that in the spd.

So the thinking is that the other numbers may need to be tweaked to get the main CL=7 number down, right? And need Memset to read those numbers.

And there's no reason to hold off on connecting a computer to the net or installing windows because the timing isn't perfect? Or even the speed? As long as the correct amt of RAM is showing at any speed, you should go ahead and install Windows, update your drivers and get everything running - then work on the other stuff like timing and speed of RAM.

03RAH03

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009

No I'm not Frank from newegg, though i did buy it from there, haven't reviewed yet. Yes, that link is to the ram I have. I am running the F6 BIOS. 2 - 2GB modules. No other RAM in the system. I am running the ram with a clock speed of 1600.

I'm going to hold off on upping the voltage until I know more. I am really concerned about hurting something because of messing with stuff I am not sure about.

03RAH03

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
I think SPD is being read wrong by my mobo. In MIT SPD lists the timings as 9-9-9-24.

I sorta have windows xp installed. My hard drive from my old busted laptop. I can't do a fresh install yet because I haven't bought a new optic drive yet. I'll use a thumb drive and put that memory program on it. If I understand correctly, I can use that memory program to read the correct SPD information, write it down, and manually set up the RAM in MIT. Is that the right idea?

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I think it's odd that the MIT reads the spd as 9-9-9-24 -

did you verify that the modules you have are all labeled as F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH
Do they show the timing numbers and speed on the label?

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Here's the info that Memset gives me. Remember, although Memset allows you to change the settings of your RAM, I'm only using it and recommending it to view the details of your SPD.

The SPD consists of two types of info on faster RAM. The first is the JEDEC numbers - the officially recognized standard timings at certain speeds. Apparently JEDEC doesn't go above 800/400 MHz in DDR2 so there's another part of the SPD called EPP, which gives info on the faster "Enhanced" profiles. These are two columns of info.
For DDR3, I believe the equivalent to the SPP is the XMP. It also has two profiles of info showing faster speeds and timings. I believe the normal JEDEC info stops at 1066 on DDR3 and any faster speeds are listed in the XMP. (Bilbat knows much more about this)

Normally when people talk about the SPD, they're talking about ALL the info, not just the JEDEC info.

Here's what the Memset program reveals about my SPD. The info on the left just shows my current settings. If you compare it to the full SPD info on the right, you'll see that I'm using the timings listed under the 266MHz JEDEC #1. However, I'm not using these at 266 but overclocking my RAM to run with those timngs at 800MHz. Note the voltage on last line of SPD - showing if I want 533MHz, I need to set V to 1.9. Also note that all MHz numbers here are multiplied by 2 to get the familar speeds of 800, 1066, 1333 or 1600 - DDR means Doubled.
memset.jpg

Click on the pic to see full-size

03RAH03

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
Double checked my ram and it's sticker says 7-7-7-24, 1600, 1.65v. I tried using Memtest and Memtest 2, both give me an error saying "NOT FOR THIS CPU." Guess it doesn't like my 955.

Could someone give me the XMP info?

bilbat

Splendid
Try this:
http://www.memtest.org/download/4.00/memtest86+-4.00.iso.zip
Unfortuntely, no memory manufacterer that I am aware of documents their XMP setings anywhere! This is a major PITA, and I frankly do not know how they've gotten away with it thus far - and with the advent of the i7 platform, these settings become increasingly important; the only way I know of is the tool I posted; there is another, more complete tool here:
http://www.techpowerup.com/spdtool/SPDTool_063.zip
but I am hesitant to have people fiddle with it if they're not extensively experienced, as it's used to write SPDs if you have 'qualified' a particular bunch of DIMMs for a particular MOBO, and want to alter the SPD to automatically 'get' the timings you feel are best for your application - but - you don't want to 'accidentally' modify your SPD - could be fatal (to the further use of the memory - not you :pt1cable: )!!

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Both of you are running the 955 CPU, as is the user on Newegg's site. I can't help wondering if the BIOS is part of the problems here. Revision F5 should cover this CPU, but there is also an F7 and F6. I had another user of this board, I think, whose board came with revision F3 and was having CPU speed problems. He went to F6 and no problems. Both of you SHOULD be fine with F5, but I want to know which one you have now.

03RAH03

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
I tried joining tbe g skill forum to talk about this problem there but, they still haven't activated my account.

I'll try that memtest and see what I can get from it.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
bilbat, I'm increasingly frustrated by the lack of XMP and EPP info. I don't understand why this info isn't immediately available to anyone interested. Even I don't really know if my RAM should be set at 127ns or 75ns. No program I know of gives that info, yet my BIOS has a place for it and I know it's in the SPD.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
03, if you decide to update your BIOS, be sure to use the ability to do so within the BIOS - not a Windows program. If you don't have a floppy, you can use a thumb drive to hold the new file.

03RAH03

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
Someone said updating from f6 to f7 didn't fix the ram problem. My mobo manual says not to upgrade unless to fix a problem. The upgrade doesn't fix my problem so not planning on doing it.

I can't use memtest86 yet because I'm still waiting on my optic drive. Looked at the info on SPDtool. Had three EPP Profiles on it. None of them had defined CAS or voltage. I don't know if I am looking at the right place. I used read. Yeah it would be nice to just know what the settings are supposed to be. TELL US WHAT YOU KNOW G SKILL!!!

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
03, sounds good to me. If you have F6, I can't see it being an issue.

I was just surprised when I found another 790 board recently, shipped with a 955 and running F3.

I've posted a request in the G.Skill forums for ALL spd data on their modules. I'll also post requesting specific full data for your module now.

There is a post there involving a 790FXT that bears reading, even tho its user had slower 1600 @9 RAM.
http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=865

I've adding these posts at G.Skill forum
Specific to this problem
http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=2079

Regarding SPD info in general
http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=2077
http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=2078

bilbat

Splendid
bilbat, I'm increasingly frustrated by the lack of XMP and SPP info. I don't understand why this info isn't immediately available to anyone interested.
I think I may know the reasoning behind this, but I don't like it, or agree with it... I'm pretty sure they simply don't want another seven questions (times however many thousands of users) added to their support load. You've been answering enough questions here to know that, for probably three quarters of the issues, the plain and simple answer is: RTFM! They just don't want users 'dabbling' in these additional settings, assuming that most really don't know what they are for, and aren't willing to learn. A lot of what I try to do here is to (hopefully) 'illuminate' many of the more technical issues in a modern system in terms that can be understood... My belief concerning documentation is that there can never be too much! (I am kind of 'taking care' of fairly elderly parents here - and I do most of the baking - my mom and I laugh about "no such thing as 'too sweet' or 'too much chocolate' ";) ) This is the major reason that I stick with Intel - I've posted this before:

I know a lot of arcane BS about Intel processors - cause they're the only ones who document everything! If you wanna know how many Lahore pigeons crap on the roof of the Santa Clara fab each year, not only can you find it in a PDF somewhere (but where - that's the skill!) on their web site, but there's probably a three year plan documented to change their feeding habits, so they crap a lighter color, causing the roof to reflect more sunlight, and cut down on the air-conditioning costs... Every time I try to find out something about an AMD BIOS for someone, I see this business about "update AGESA three point five point three point nine point more digits than pi", and I've been randomly trying for months just to find out what 'AGESA' is - bah - no luck! (I hate acronymns anyway - the only one that ever sticks in my head is back from the days when they finally got completely out of hand with 'PCMCIA' - people can't memorize computer industry acronymns!) And you don't wanna even get me started about nVidia! As far as I can figure, nVidia is actually a front company for the CIA/NSA - if you go looking there for documentation, they'll have you investigated to find out why the hell you're looking for their documents!

I think that if they posted this information, along with a cogent, understandable explanation of what they exist for - it would, ultimately, subtract from their support load - but I can't prove it, and I don't know how to get hold of anyone at the manufacturing/marketing level who could effect such a policy... And, as I've mentioned, this info is increasingly important to the new platforms that incorporate the memory controller into the processor, giving infinitely more 'flexibility' to memory configuration; with memory controller hubs, the major function of fast RAM was simply to allow you to raise your system clock past 400 MHz without 'overrunning' your 800 RAM at the lowest 2.0 (1:1 bus ratio) multiplier; now, you can 'diddle' throughput directly - which means you need to know all of the RAM timings, and, at various speeds...

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
bilbat, is the tRFC number measured in ns? Rather than clock ticks?

My G board has presets for this, including 75ns, 105ns, 127.5ns and 154ns. It sets to 127 I think whenever you change to Manual. It appears from my spd - see above - that the tRFC for my various speeds range from a high of 68 @ 533 to a low of 34 @ 266.

So it seems that regardless of my speed setting, I'm safe to try 75ns for this? (Maybe safe to try, but doesn't like it - cleared all my timing settings on reboot. Does like 105ns so far, but not tested it.)

(LOL, that rant seems familar to me! I still like it tho.)

G.Skill's forum does have some guides to setting the BIOS in various motherboard/RAM combos. But it's hard to find because if you start at the forum and click on DDR3, it never shows. Unless you move backwards from that forum up one level, you never see it.
http://www.gskill.us/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35
And this is great stuff, represents a lot of work by the team there. But most of it could be taken care of by the much simpler method of posting all the SPD info!

bilbat

Splendid
Thanks ever so much for the pointer to G.Skill info - invaluable! It's so good, I had to create an icon for it (their site favicon.ico looks suspiciously like the one from TweakTown...):
http://www.mediafire.com/?g4xon0qtw2y
The best two memory spots I know of are TweakTown's:
http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/memory-timings-explained-w-suggested-timings-memset-vs-bios-27283/
and this:
http://www.tweakers.fr/timings.html#tRFC

I'll see about that BIOS adjustment, but I've forgotten what board you have, and figured it'd be easier to just ask than to search...