Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Booting from cd rom image

Last response: in Memory
October 13, 2009 12:59:10 AM

I have small cafe where girls come in and chat for money, it seems messenger attacks my computers and they become slow and unresponsive, crash,lag and freeze up. I would like to boot my pcs from a image like the one used in Deep freeze from the cd rom drive. In this way I am thinking no changes can be made to my services settings by remote ect ... I have trouble keeping up to make the pcs run ok .. any ideas out there? I have deep freeze but stuff is getting by and corupting windows drivers and controllers..

More about : booting rom image

Best solution

October 13, 2009 1:26:41 AM

I would setup a machine perfectly, then use Norton Ghost to back it up.
Then you can restore them quickly and easily. Also find out what messenger services people like using, and find reliable spyware free clients to use, once you've got their needs covered you can lock down security better so they can't install their own tools.

Also make sure you're not running Internet Explorer 6, should be running 8 or have it disabled and use Firefox or similar.

I haven't had issues with MSN Messenger, but I've seen Yahoo Messenger kill things before.

You can get Linux Live CDs but Windows wont like it, and it'll slow down the computers something wicked if you got it working.
a b } Memory
October 13, 2009 1:37:01 AM

Quote:
You can get Linux Live CDs but Windows wont like it

Why? A Live CD is just that. It doesn't interact with the Windows stuff unless you install it. It loads in to RAM.

@OP: What are the specs of the PC(s) and is this a video chat or just text/IM? Also what IM software? Have you tried Pigin? http://www.pidgin.im/
m
l
Related resources
October 13, 2009 1:47:31 AM

The problem with booting from a CD drive is that the machines will be limited by the CD drives speed. Also the CDs would be spinning constantly which could be really loud, depending on the number of computers that you have. Linux, though, might be a good idea and would be less prone remote exploitation.
m
l
October 13, 2009 7:27:52 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Quote:
You can get Linux Live CDs but Windows wont like it

Why? A Live CD is just that. It doesn't interact with the Windows stuff unless you install it. It loads in to RAM.

@OP: What are the specs of the PC(s) and is this a video chat or just text/IM? Also what IM software? Have you tried Pigin? http://www.pidgin.im/

haha oh I know, not quite what I was intending to imply there.
What I meant was getting Windows to boot off a CD probably wont work out very well. I meant I've seen Linux Live CDs, but never a 'Windows Live CD', that'd be a challenge (if it was even possible).

I've always seen multi-public-PC setups done in one of two ways, heavy security or backups (e.g. norton ghost, snapshot style method).
m
l
a b } Memory
October 13, 2009 7:42:29 PM

well, why not dual boot linux and windows and have windows locked down so only you can use it and keep the linux install for everything else
m
l
October 13, 2009 7:49:55 PM

mindless728 said:
well, why not dual boot linux and windows and have windows locked down so only you can use it and keep the linux install for everything else

Why? It's not his personal computer, it's basically an internet cafe setup.
m
l
October 14, 2009 9:00:58 AM

SpidersWeb said:
I would setup a machine perfectly, then use Norton Ghost to back it up.
Then you can restore them quickly and easily. Also find out what messenger services people like using, and find reliable spyware free clients to use, once you've got their needs covered you can lock down security better so they can't install their own tools.

Also make sure you're not running Internet Explorer 6, should be running 8 or have it disabled and use Firefox or similar.

I haven't had issues with MSN Messenger, but I've seen Yahoo Messenger kill things before.

You can get Linux Live CDs but Windows wont like it, and it'll slow down the computers something wicked if you got it working.

I say your right on track, I have setup..then used AVG free ..yahoo spy.. locked down windows firewall for only AVG ..disables some windows services like remote registry and yahoo updater .. installed Deep Freeze this works great until a YM user who has been reported for abuse comes in and then bang .. remote registry and YM updater activates..windows firewall stops, cam stops working because the usb controller becomes corrupt . Adobe Flash gets corrupt..So I unfreeze the drive fix the problems get it going and then the computer lags and is so slow. . I scan it with AVG, and eset online scanner or Bitdefender online scanner ..the scan says all is well .. I know I am not the only one ... I have seen YM kill things before they always have a new trick for me to figure out. I just wonder how other cafe are dealing with it :) 
m
l
!