So I have a Compaq Presario as follows:

AMD Athlon 64x2 4200+ (2.2ghz)
3GB PC2-6400 RAM (2GBx1, 1GBx1)
ATI HD4550 512MB GDDR3
160GB HD
Modem
250w PSU
Windows 7

Sometimes when I try to power on the machine, it will get stuck at the Compaq logo BIOS screen. It won’t advance past that. The first time, I reseated all the connections on outside of the machine and popped off the case. The machine booted into Windows normally. The problem then went away for a few days.

Today, the Compaq did the same thing again, getting stuck at the BIOS screen. This time I just popped the case off and the computer booted.

What’s the issue here? How can I got about solving it? What should I try first to resolve the issue?

Thanks for the help.

More about : stuck bios

a c 435 V Motherboard
October 13, 2009 10:18:14 AM

I have the same problem with my compaq presario, but with a biostar motherboard (I replaced the original board). Haven't found an answer yet. It's called a "cold boot" issue. If you contact hp online tech support, they may direct you to a newer bios program; first, I would try a different power supply if you have one. Flashing the bios is always risky, and unless the newer bios has fixed your issue, it's a waste of time.
m
l
October 13, 2009 12:21:02 PM

Cold boot issues are quite often the result of a flaky power supply. At first turn on when it isn't warmed up it isn't supplying the power required to initialize the system properly. Waiting a minute or 2 and then warm booting things usually work right.

Replace power supply soon as it could be stressing other components by not supplying proper power.
m
l
October 20, 2009 1:55:05 AM

I switched off the "hidden boot" option in the BIOS so that it shows the hardware testing at the beginning and the problem has gone away (for now). I'll update if the issue returns.
m
l
!