Just a couple things to check before I buy...

Xiahoudun32

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
I am looking into buying this Gigabyte motherboard to replace the one that came with my prebuilt PC, primarily for the sake of overclocking and a new processor in the future.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128384

There are just a few things which I wish to confirm, so I don't get the motherboard and end up going "WTF?"
The primary use of this computer is gaming, and I need the ability to overclock to stop my GTX 260 bottleneck.
My questions:
1. Will it support my current AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000+, and will allow me to replace it with an AMD Phenom II x4 955 when I get the money?
2. Will The CPU power would still work on 4-pin? The only difference would be the motherboard at this point.
3. Hypothetically speaking, if I were to buy a second GTX 260, would the second Pci-E x8 slot hinder performance at all in sli, if that even works?
4. Does the performance of 4 gb 1600mhz DDR3 ram trump that of 4gb of 1066mhz DDR2 to the point that it's worth investing in a different motherboard?

Solution
1 - yes
2 - not likely - the 955 is a 125W TDP processor - probably needs the 2x4
3 - the x8 slot is not the problem - this is an ATI xFire board - doesn't do SLI
4 - memory difference is not that big - OC'd processor power trumps RAM speed every time...

bilbat

Splendid
1 - yes
2 - not likely - the 955 is a 125W TDP processor - probably needs the 2x4
3 - the x8 slot is not the problem - this is an ATI xFire board - doesn't do SLI
4 - memory difference is not that big - OC'd processor power trumps RAM speed every time...

Solution

Xiahoudun32

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Thanks for the speedy reply.
First, I was referencing the Athlon 64 5000+, would that still work on the 4 pin power?
Second, does this mean that two nvidia cards would not work in sync on this motherboard?