Sign in with
Your question

Pc Build Fan Help! Please!

Last response: in Components
July 28, 2009 10:37:30 PM

Ok well right now I'm trying to build a Gaming PC (First Build) and I have a couple of questions regarding fans and other components. I connected everything but when I went to power it up for the first boot the light in the front of my case (NZXT Apollo) just blinked and then nothing. So I'm going back through everything. My motherboard is a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. I also use a Radeon HD 4850 512mb

First: I have a Rosewill fan connected to a Fan controller it came with and then connected to the Mobo via. a 3 Pin connector. The thing is I have a side fan and a Exhaust fan that have the 4 Pin Peripheral connectors if I'm right that what their called. How do I connect those to the PSU?

Second: The LED cables on the NZXT Apollo Front panel are becoming frustrating for me. I think I have them in right but I'm not sure. Can anyone that has used a Apollo and a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P tell me how to connect the Leds on the front panel correctly into the board.

Third and final: I noticed when I connected the VGA Cable from my PC to my Monitor it kept saying no signal from video cable even though it was correctly connected. Is that normal on first boot or no?

Thank you for you time. Please help me.

More about : build fan

July 29, 2009 12:28:02 AM

Can you list all of your components, including RAM and PSU?
July 29, 2009 12:32:54 AM

According to your Apolo case manual:
Quote:
LED, Power and Reset Installation

Please refer first to your motherboard manual to find where your power switch and reset pins are located. The colors following each instruction designate the color of the wires.
1. Connect the Reset switch (labeled RESET SW) by connecting to your motherboard RESET connector. Make sure you always attach the white wire to ground. The reset switch is located inside the front door. (Blue/White +/-)
2. Connect the Power Switch pin (labeled POWER SW) to the PWR connector on the motherboard. The power switch is the chrome piece on the front panel. (Green/White +/-)
3. Connect the HDD LED (labeled H.D.D LED) and HDD LED connectors to the appropriate headers on your motherboard. The HDD LED located on the front panel should flash red when there is activity in the hard drive. (Orange/White, +/-)
4. The NZXT Apollo power LED has two connections, one four pin Molex connector and a two pin P LED connection. Connect the four pin Molex to your power supply and the two pin P LED connection to your motherboard. ( Both Red/White, +/-).

All White Pin Connectors correspond to ground.
Related resources
July 29, 2009 1:03:44 AM

Case: NZXT Apollo with 1 Extra 120MM Fan (Extra Fan greatly recommended)
PSU: Corsair VX 550W
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
Memory: G.Skill 4GB
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 4850 512mb IceQ4 Turbo
Drivers: WD Caviar Black 640GB 7200RPM
Keyboard/Mouse: Normal Standard ones at the moment
Display: Hanns-G 19" Widescreen

There's all the components. Yes I've look at the manual but after that it still doesn't want to power on. The mobo is just flashing a red light (1 flash) and the Leds are just flashing once. When I hit power the feel the PSU do something but it just doesn't kick on fully.
July 29, 2009 1:34:59 AM

No offense but did you plug in both the 24 pin and the 8 pin power cables/
Also, can you give the specs on the G Skill memory?
July 29, 2009 1:38:24 AM

Yes I plugged them both in. The g.skill specs are

Capacity 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Speed DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Cas Latency 5
Timing 5-5-5-15
Voltage 1.8V - 1.9V
Multi-channel Kit Dual Channel Kit
Heat Spreader Yes
July 29, 2009 1:53:09 AM

I would recommend a start from scratch. Remove the MB, place on a piece of cardboard with just the only the PSU, CPU and one stick of memory installed . You can turn it on by holding a flat screwdriver to the 2 Power Switch pins on the MB. If it turns on and the fans spin, turn off, then install the video card and connect it to the monitor to see if it posts.
July 29, 2009 2:02:16 AM

I will definitely try this tomorrow Michael!
July 29, 2009 2:10:49 AM

Where are the two power switch pins located on the mobo?
July 29, 2009 2:16:21 AM

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

BTW.... the case fans do connect to the PSU via the 4 pin molex connector cables.

"Third and final: I noticed when I connected the VGA Cable from my PC to my Monitor it kept saying no signal from video cable even though it was correctly connected. Is that normal on first boot or no? "

If everything is working correctly, you should see the POST, not the No Signal message.

July 29, 2009 2:23:07 AM

I will update you. Hopefully this will work by disconnecting and trying it outside of the case. You keep the MB connected to the PSu when it's on the cardboard right? The 2 Power Switch pins are with the H.D.D. LED pins right? That small rectangular area with the NC pin in it? I just hold a Flat Phillips head screwdriver to it (the tip of it) and it will turn on automatically. It won't short or the Mb won't be damaged right? What does this do or help to the MB?
July 29, 2009 2:27:12 AM

Ifyou have the manual, look at the diagram in the top right hand side on Page 27.
The Power Switch is the 2 pins, located between the Power LED pins on the left and the Speaker pins on the right.
July 29, 2009 2:45:01 AM

Sorry about the previous 2 "misposts"

No, you want hurt the MB by using the flat tip of the screwdriver to touch the 2 Power Switch Pins (not the HD LED pins). That's just doing what the power switch button on the case normally does to turn it on.

Yes, the PSU must be connected to get power to the MB.
July 29, 2009 3:02:24 AM

Hope this image is better. If need be, you can zoom.

!