Solved

Additional 6GB RAM (total 12GB) causing BSOD

Hello,

I built a system about 6 months ago, and it was completely stable with the following specs:

CPU: i7 930 (overclocked to 3.52)
Motherboard: GA-X58A-UD5 (rev. 2.0)
Cooling: Thermalright Venomous X - RT 120mm
RAM: 6GB Kingston HyperX 1600 (PC3 12800) (KHX1600C9D3K3)

Settings
CPU Vcore: 1.20625
QPI: 1.28
CPU PLL: 1.84
DRAM Voltage: 1.66
-everything else on Auto

Memory Mult: x10 @ 1600
Uncore Clock Ratio: x21
QPI Clock Ratio: Auto
-Using XMP Profile
Timings: 9-9-9-27

Despite the warnings I read about putting additional RAM in your system, I couldn't resist the low prices for an additional 6GB of the same model of RAM (all 6 dimm slots are now full). Also, to further justify it - I do regularly use memory intensive programs with large file sizes - photoshop, lightroom, flash, etc.

After installing the additional 6GB, I am getting frequent BSOD. Each BSOD error is slightly different but seem to be related to the memory in some way. I have increased the QPI voltage to 1.32, which seems to have made the BSOD much less frequent, but they do still occasionally occur (it'll go about a week between each crash). Also, I have run memtest86+ a few times overnight and got no errors after several passes.

I don't want to keep on increasing the QPI voltage through the roof without knowing what else I should be looking at. So my question is, knowing that my system was completely stable with the above settings w/ 6GB RAM and that the BSODs are 100% due to the extra RAM, what other settings should I be looking at to regain system stability? What settings should I look at first - does CPU vcore affect memory issues? Will loosening memory timings help, and if so, will it affect performance? I'm really hoping I can fix the problem with a few setting tweaks and not resort to ripping the extra RAM out of my system.

Thanks for your help in advance!
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about additional total 12gb causing bsod
  1. Oc better use dual ram iknow your mobo support triple, if u want stable oc use dual .
    For 6 stick just go default it better for game adobe rendering
  2. thanks for the reply - could you explain this a little further? How would I switch to dual channel with 6 sticks? It appears my mb automatically selects dual/triple channel based on how many sticks are installed and which DIMMs are filled. I do not see any options in my BIOS to manually select this. Am I reading this right?
  3. Dual chanel is 2 stick slot , remove other ram from slot , install ram dual chanel in same color. Slot
  4. I guess this would sort of defeat the purpose though, right? I had 6GB running stable in triple channel mode. My question is concerning the additional 6GB. I realize I can remove RAM and make it stable again, but my question is if there is anything I can do to make 12GB with all 6 dimm slots full run stable.
  5. Yes you can stable but no overclock , go bios load default save and boot, if you have software oc cpu uninstall it in safe mode
  6. Best answer
    First make sure each 6GB kit can run fine on it's own, but I guess it's the first thing you tested. I would also try to relax the timing a bit too; when a kit is rated, it's rated for that kit alone, not two together and increasing voltage can't always compensate. I would first try 10-10-10-30 and then you can try others like 9-10-9-24.
  7. Thanks for the suggestion. I lowered the timings to 10-10-10-30 and seemed to help, but still got a few crashes here and there. My memory multiplier was x10 so I had my uncore frequency set at x21. I lowered this to x20 and I haven't had any crashes since.
  8. 6 stick of ram cannot use oc, this can run at by default. Lowered multiplier ram will drop of system by speed+performance.
  9. thanks but it appears Zenthar's answer combined with a little additional tinkering did the trick. I am running 6 sticks of ram AND oc stable now. I didn't lower the RAM multiplier, I just changed the uncore multiplier from x21 to x20. I have seen both suggested on many forums as being acceptable.
  10. Finally your can be usaed all in system unde ovrclock?...wow It's good news . You must give best answer for @zentar.
  11. I am having the exact same problem. I tried lowering the uncore but then i couldn't boot. Right now I am using a GA-X58A-UD3R with 6 sticks of this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145220 which is rated at 1.5v running at 1.74v. Seems to be the only way I can keep my computer running for more than a couple hours. If I set the voltage to auto I can;t even get back into the bios without removing a couple sticks. I guess I don't mind running it at 1.74 but is that bad? I don't know much about overclocking or anything I just want my machine to be stable.
  12. Best answer selected by brad713.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM Blue Screen Overclocking Product