Sign in with
Your question

2 separate hard drives both marked as active

Last response: in Storage
December 5, 2010 10:50:09 PM

I have a 320GB drive that is the drive with windows 7 on it. I also have a 1TB drive with all of my media files on it. I was trying to set up a backup of my C drive today and noticed that it does not show up under setup backup. Only my disk drive shows up. I went into disk management and noticed both drives are marked as active, and read that this is making it so I cant save backups to either of these hard drives. They are also both marked as primary partitions.

http://yfrog.com/f/59harddriveup/

this is what my disk management screen looks like, anyone know how to solve this issue so that I can backup?
December 5, 2010 11:57:35 PM

sensesfail47 said:
I have a 320GB drive that is the drive with windows 7 on it. I also have a 1TB drive with all of my media files on it. I was trying to set up a backup of my C drive today and noticed that it does not show up under setup backup. Only my disk drive shows up. I went into disk management and noticed both drives are marked as active, and read that this is making it so I cant save backups to either of these hard drives. They are also both marked as primary partitions.

http://yfrog.com/f/59harddriveup/

this is what my disk management screen looks like, anyone know how to solve this issue so that I can backup?

Upon further investigation, I unhooked my 1tb drive to see if my computer would boot. It would not, it said "windows was unable to boot, please insert windows 7 disk and hit repair, this may have been caused by a hardware or software issue" when i unhooked the 320gb drive and the 1tb drive was hooked up, it told me boot mngr is missing, and rebooted, over and over. So basically somehow half of my windows files are on my 1tb drive, and half are on the 320gb drive, yet windows explorer shows my 1tb drive to be empty.
m
l
February 1, 2011 11:18:10 PM

I have this same exact problem. When i did open a dos window and run diskpart. I set the active partition to inactive and it automatically set another hard drive to active,primary. Have you figured this out? i am trying to search out the solution and will post if i find anything out. I even unplugged all hard drives except 1 and installed windows 7 to it and after the install was complete I plugged in the rest of my hard drives and it still is active. I also wanted to make a hard drive image but can't put the backup on a primary system hard drive.
m
l
Related resources
a c 289 G Storage
February 2, 2011 12:03:55 AM

OK, I'll take a stab at this. I just wrote something similar, let me look for it to link to it. Here we go: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

So I'm going to guess that when you installed Windows 7 on the smaller drive, there was already a previous OS on the larger drive.

There should be an easy solution. What we want to convince Windoze to do is put everything you need to boot on the same drive, which I think is your smaller drive. Power down
Disconnect the larger drive
Put your Windows 7 DVD in the DVD drive
Boot from the DVD drive
At the appropriate prompt (I don't have a note here what it will be), tell it to do a Repair.

What I think will happen is that it will find that your only drive (you disconnected the larger drive) has Windows 7 but is missing the boot loader (sound familiar) and install the boot loader and MBR.

If this doesn't work, let us know. If you can tell me if my initial guess (Win7 was installed while you had a valid OS on another drive) was right or not, I'd appreciate the feedback.
m
l
February 2, 2011 11:04:24 PM

Yes, i did install windows 7 to a seperate hard drive while having windows/xp on another drive so when i would boot up it would ask me which of the 3 os's i wanted to boot.

I tried the repair option before i had posted my last post and it didn't fix my issue with my k:( data) being seen as a system drive.

I ended up using hirens boot cd and using smart fdisk 2.5 i think it was and formatting the hard drive that I wanted to install the os to. Then the problem I had was the k: was assigned the c: so I simply unplugged all hard drives except the one I wanted to install windows too and it worked. It still shows up as active, but no longer a system drive.
m
l
March 21, 2011 6:13:39 AM

yes you are right i installed windows 7 on the bigger harddrive while windows xp is running on the smaller hardrive. When i try to do what you described above, it does not work, when i try to boot, it keeps on saying NTLDR missing, and i cant boot from the windows 7 DVD
m
l
!