Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Nvidia Quadro NVS 450 problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 16, 2009 4:17:24 AM

I have an Nvidia Quadro NVS 450 video card for my 4 monitors, running on WinXP pro.
I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 processor w/ 2g Ram.
I have a variety of problems and can't figure out if a card problem, SW conflicts or what.

When I bring the machine up in the morning, monitor 1 doesn't come up for 2-3 reboots.
Once monitor 1 comes up the other 3 usually follow, but many times monitor 3 changes resolution and acts like a larger monitor : when I drag the mouse across to get to the last monitor it scolls over like the screen is wider and longer than the 20" screen size.
I don't know how to fix this so I have to keep rebooting until the size is correct. The dispay properties say it is the same resolution as the others at 1280 by 1024.
Once that is fixed, the monitors are usually mixed, so in Display Props, settings, I have to move Mon4 between Mon1 and 2 to fix the order.

Then at times during the day one of the monitors will go black and in the display properties, I have to recheck the box " Extend Win desktop to this monitor" Then it usually comes back. But sometimes I have to reorder the monitors again.

A couple of weeks ago mon2 was flickering alot, so I changed it out thinking the monitor might be going bad. So I traded monitors with another dual mon pc and the flickering stopped. However that monitor works just fine on the other pc with no issues.

Then today Mon 2 blacked out and can't seem to bring it back. Disp Props shows it as being active, Device Mgr shows it is working properly, but no picture. The mon light is also green, it usally turns orange when taken off line.

Sorry for the long note - I wanted to describe all the problems.
Anyone out there with experience in 4 monitor cards ??
Thanks
June 1, 2009 1:46:30 PM

I am having this exact same problem with the NVS450 and three HP 2159m monitors on an HP core i7 workstation.
June 2, 2009 7:03:18 PM

hmm same problems ?? Interesting!
I have fixed 2 of my 3 problems. I returned and got a replacment card. Monitor 1 comes up immediately now and all of the monitors stay up all the time with no glitches. So that must have been a card problem.

The one problem I still have is on startup - monitor 3 is still an oversize monitor for the screen display. It takes over a dozen restarts to get all 4 monitors up correctly. In device mgr, it shows 8 monitors : 4 default monitors and 4 plug and play monitors. The correct ones are the plug and play monitors. I have disabled the 4 default monitors. But on startup the bad monitor shows as a default monitor, and 3 plug and play monitors. After a dozen startups or so, I get 4 plug and plays and I am ok.
So far the solution is just to leave the pc running all the time.
But I'd still like to figure this out. Is this a SW problem ?? or some kind of conflict ?? or maybe compatability issue. I doubt a card problem anymore.
Chuck
Related resources
June 24, 2009 5:54:50 PM

I am testing the PNY Nvidia Quadro NVS 450 x16 with 512MB of GDDR Memory to replace the NVS 440 x16 x1 video card and have found that the power supply requirements of 350 Watts to be dead on.

I first tried the card in a Dell Optiplex GX-260 and the card failed miserably, My next test was on the Optiplex 755 and got the same results. When I tried the card on an IBM Intellistation Z Pro (6223) the card worked fine. I also tested the card on the Dell Precision 670 and it worked fine there also.

It turns out that the Optiplex boxes both have a 305 Watt power supply and the IBM had a 350 Watt power supply. The Dell Precision has a 350W ps also.
July 31, 2009 10:22:37 AM

I'm confused, the power requirements quoted on nvidia's site are of 35 watts maximum. Could someone explain why there would then be a requirement for a 350 watt power supply in the system?

Was hoping to use it to build a system with a low power need and passive cooling.

Thank you
November 1, 2009 3:53:19 AM

Are you using any adapters between the monitor and the GPU. Adapters may interfere with the PC's ability to autodetect the monitor.

Also how long is your cabling? Are your cables shielded? Are there no sources of interference in your environment.
November 28, 2009 1:16:24 PM

deadserious said:
I am having this exact same problem with the NVS450 and three HP 2159m monitors on an HP core i7 workstation.

Did you ever fix your problem ?? I just gave up and leave my machine on all the time. I fixed the flickering in Monitor 2, but still have the problem on monitor 3 that comes upas a default monitor. At time when I have to reboot the PC, security updates etc, #3 always comes up as a default monitor and I get a diff screen size. After 20-30 reboots, it will finally come up as a plug and play and it is fine. In device mgr under monitors, it show 5 default monitors and 3 plug and plays when I have problems, then 4 and 4 when all the monitors are ok. I can'[t figure out how to bring up all 4 plug and play monitors.

Lotus
November 28, 2009 2:11:07 PM

punungwe said:
Are you using any adapters between the monitor and the GPU. Adapters may interfere with the PC's ability to autodetect the monitor.

Also how long is your cabling? Are your cables shielded? Are there no sources of interference in your environment.

Punungwe
Are you talking a physical adaptor between the cables going into the card ??? I have std 6ft dvi video cables plugged into an nvidia conector/adaptor to display port connector on the card.
I just changed out the video cables(not the adaptor) and the display issue change from mon 3 to 2.
The it mysteriously changed back to monitor 3. I then changed the cables and with the adaptor and the display problem changed again from mon 3 to 2.
THEN - mon 4 went offline, although the "Display Properties checkbox was still checked to extend desktop to that monitor. So I have a couple monitors around in Display Properties and hit apply and then the 4th polug and play monitor showed up in Device Mgr and now everything is fine.
This is a confusing problem. I must have some conflict(or more likely Nvdidia has some conflict) that prevent all 4 plug and play monitors to show up.

I have no outside interfence that I know of. I have no problems with my 2monitor pc right next to my 4 monitor pc. My 2monitor has an nvidia card as well.

Lotus
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
November 28, 2009 3:15:57 PM

I remember reading an article that this card is a dual gpu that was intended for high end 2D work and would explain the problems with monitors not working properly. I have only used one quadro in my days and that was only a nvs 285 :s
it was ok for CAD and arcmap9 really tested when in 3D mode. If you have the guts, time, and a spare fan mod the cooler with a cheap 40mm fan to cool the card or get a bay fan to blow on it. Since it is passively cooled and heat is not a good thing.
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
April 11, 2011 5:36:17 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!