Sign in with
Your question

SSD for XP Pro. Intel prefered

Last response: in Storage
December 6, 2010 9:23:31 AM

Hey all. From what I've read it seems that Intel would be the prefer way to go for an XP Pro OS. I'll probably put the OS and WoW on it so I assume at least around 80 Gigs? I might put on other programs if I like the way SSD handles. I'm currently running an EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI LGA 1366 Intel X58 motherboard, which I hate, with a Core i7 920. So which Intel drive should I get? I'm looking to spend around $250 if I have to. Let me know if you need to know anything else. Arigato (thank you)

More about : ssd pro intel prefered

December 6, 2010 11:36:49 AM

XP doesn't support trim. Its time for Windows 7 :) 
m
l
December 7, 2010 3:50:59 AM

I know and I'll eventually go to 7. However Intel has a program included with their drives. I just need to know what's the best Intel drive in my price range. Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
December 8, 2010 5:16:23 AM

I think that's the one!!! I just wonder what's faster, my Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB drives or a SSD?
m
l
a b G Storage
December 8, 2010 1:16:46 PM

The SSD of course....
m
l
December 8, 2010 7:36:58 PM

I ponder that question since I haven't seen (or thoroughly looked) for a review of SSD vs Raptor drives. I assume the newest Raptors are still the fastest platter hard drives non SCSI.
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
December 9, 2010 10:56:34 AM

5400rpm harddrive is sequentially faster than Raptors (except the very latest 600GB Velociraptor) spinning at 10.000rpm. But your SSD should be considered a million rpm to compare with HDDs.

What you need most is random I/O speeds, or IOps; any HDD is very bad in that one.

Please note that because you use XP:
- your partition will be misaligned
- you will lack TRIM
- you may want to overprovision your SSD, by partitioning only part of the SSD and not using the unpartitioned part

I suggest you use MagicParted to create an NTFS partition on the SSD that is 60GB large; so 20GB remains unused. This solves two issues:
- more spare space for the Intel SSD means less performance degradation and longer life
- misaligned partitions; MagicParted created properly aligned partitions instead, for higher performance

Intel is the only one where its performance does not totally crash when misaligned; so yes XP would prefer the Intel SSD. Still i recommend you follow the advice above so you get a decent boost to your performance, just by doing a few things before you take the SSD into use.
m
l
!