Trying to overclock w/ asus m3n78 pro mobo

warakomd

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
Hello,

Thanks ahead of time for taking the time to check out my post.

I've managed to over clock my cpu (phenom II x4 940 black ed.) by means of changing the fsb to 243 which brought me to about 3610 mhz (multiplier is defaulted at x15).

My problem is that I want to change the multiplier but when i do, it doesn't do anything, it just stays at x15 regardless of the fact the text in bios reads x22 or whatever i set it as.

Also, I can't seem to figure out how to enable cpu overclocking in my bios. Areas such as CPU Voltage are disabled and I can't touch them, which is really pissing me off because i can get my clock higher but i can't get enough power to the cpu.

Solution
Please ensure you have at least bios revision 0602(better to have the newest, but if you have earlier then this, that may be the issue).

Under "JumperFree"(in Advanced)

Did you set AI Tuning to Manual. If you do not, all settings will be un-changeable

With a BE(Black Edition) cpu, you should first use the multiplier to find the max stable speed then you can drop it and use the fsb to get there. Some just go multiplier for those cpus as its fast and easy without worrying about other settings.
Please ensure you have at least bios revision 0602(better to have the newest, but if you have earlier then this, that may be the issue).

Under "JumperFree"(in Advanced)

Did you set AI Tuning to Manual. If you do not, all settings will be un-changeable

With a BE(Black Edition) cpu, you should first use the multiplier to find the max stable speed then you can drop it and use the fsb to get there. Some just go multiplier for those cpus as its fast and easy without worrying about other settings.

Solution

warakomd

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
thank you, i figured out the problem.

I will try what you said with the multiplier first.

Anyway, what should be a safe temperature for my cpu? I've heard not to go above 62º and i've heard 70º. I never read an official number.

I don't have alot of experience of overclocking under my belt, but i tried to do a fair share of reading before i did anything.

For the x4 940 b.e. i think a voltage of 1.5 was the maximum safe zone, can you confirm this?

62 is the AMD official answer. I would bet it can take more, but don't want you damage it. Max voltage and safe temp kind of go hand in hand.

I have a 955BE @ 3.7(54 degrees) on 1.4(stock voltage). Works well, i have not tried to push it harder....yet. How i remember pushing 1.8v+ over old Athlon XP's rated 1.5v. :)

With good cooling you should be able to go fairly far but at some point, you will get hit with very fast increases in temperature and power consumption just for that extra 100-200mhz.

That is where i stop on Intel systems(Core2 days, my I5 is stock and I7 only 3.5...fast as I need from it). The AMD one is not my primary so it is not pushed to its limits(thus the stock voltage).