Sign in with
Your question

Phenom II x3 or x4?

Last response: in CPUs
July 29, 2009 4:54:00 AM

I'm building a gaming rig and I'm debating whether to get the phe II x3 or x4? Here's the two I'm looking at

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... x3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... x4

The x3 has the 6mb cache compared to the 4mb cache. I'm ideally making this rig to play games like crysis, aion, swg, and swtor. Which is more "future" proof? What is a cache and what's the difference performance wise between 4mb and 6mb? :??: 

At this moment I don't plan to overclock at all since I like having pc's that last me a very long time.

More about : phenom

July 29, 2009 5:02:11 AM

If price isn't a problem, I'd just go with the quad core because once they are both overclocked (assuming you can reach about 3.6 with both of them) they're about equal in gaming. In dual threaded games (most games) the x3 will have a slight advantage but the x4 cpu will be better at multitasking and everything that requires more than 3 threads. As for future proofing, obviously the x4 is more "future proof." You can probably expect mainstream games threaded for quads within 1-3 years. All in all the extra $20 is worth it in my opinion.
m
l
July 29, 2009 7:13:51 AM

dna708 said:
If price isn't a problem, I'd just go with the quad core because once they are both overclocked (assuming you can reach about 3.6 with both of them) they're about equal in gaming. In dual threaded games (most games) the x3 will have a slight advantage but the x4 cpu will be better at multitasking and everything that requires more than 3 threads. As for future proofing, obviously the x4 is more "future proof." You can probably expect mainstream games threaded for quads within 1-3 years. All in all the extra $20 is worth it in my opinion.

Ok so i should just Overclock the processor cores to 3.0ghz and be good?
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2009 12:16:22 PM

the X4 810 i have taken to 3.2GHz no problem

also, you can run that processor at about 1.175v on stock speeds
m
l
!