AsRock extreme 1155's are "Cheap" boards?

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I wanted to know if getting an AsRock motherboard is bad thing? I thought the extreme4 showed very good benchmarks on toms roundup. But everywhere I have read and have been told in forums that AsRock motherboards are cheap boards and that the are inferior compared to Asus???

I don't see what I am losing by getting an extreme4 over
P8P67 Pro, or by getting a extreme6 over P8P67 EVO or Deluxe?

Would I be getting a cheap product that wouldn't be as good and won't perform up to the expectations of Asus boards?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Not likely. Following Tom's Hardware's scathing expose's of inadequate voltage regulators, nearly everyone is walking on eggshells when it comes to quality. You'll see ASRock associated with cheapness as a result of them supporting the low-end market, but they also support the mainstream market.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I thought the performance looked fine, but I guess I should just play it safe and get me a good ol fashion Asus.

When I think about it, it does suck when you buy cheap parts and I don't want to risk having any cheap parts, when everything else is going to be top dogs.

I am sure Asus has just as good technologies or even better compared to asrock.

There seems to be a good history with Asus Enthusiast level, I just want a motherboard that is going to have everything that every other board has and to be able to get the highest benchmarks or equal with any other board!

I just can't seem to figure out which Asus is better the Deluxe or the Revolution?

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Yeah that sound about right, I just can't get that Lexus>Toyota as to Asus>AsRock out of my choice, I just can't get the taste of Lexus out of my head.

Does the Revolution and Deluxe share all the same technologies?? I know the NF200, PCi express layout, the revolution is 92% efficent and few more!

I mean they are about the same price, so wouldn't it just be better to get the better one for 20$ more?

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
After further research the classification of WS on the Revolution is accurate!

The deluxe is more ME or gamer/enthusiast. Revolution doesn't come with many things the Deluxe has, they are very opposites.

So besides for maybe the Maximus and the UD7, I should have the top performer of its class. I will probably just stop researching motherboards and just stick to the Deluxe. It seems to be the ideal board for a i7 2600k, if I expect to get any performance out of it or a SSD!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
My tests have typically shown that Asus' Deluxe series outperforms its Republic of Gamers boards, offers more features, and overclocks better at moderate voltage levels. Asus wants us to believe the ROG boards are better at extreme overclocking, but I haven't played with Liquid Nitrogen.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Its just like the benchmarks I saw of the extreme4 vs the lame Fatal1ty(gimmick to make you think its like the ROG)
The extreme4 beat the fatalty board in all benchmarks lol

Yeah I think the "deluxe" is awesome. I have checked every thing and I am good to go.

Here is my setup after I purchase everything in my cart:
X=buying soon

Xi7 2600K
XP8P67 Deluxe
Hyper 212+
Giga 5770SO
Caviar Black sata3 1tb
X2x Samsung F3 1tb
XC300 128gb sata3
HX650
Gskill rip jaw 4x2gb 1600 cas7 X-buying 2nd set
Asus DVD
CM 690 2 advanced
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

I just got to double check my PSU and see if it is capable!

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
Yes, ASUSTeK is Asus and AsRock. I do also think that AsRock do make great boards. Although, I did read a few years back that AsRock's boards were made with lower quality components as oppose to Asus' boards. But, I am not sure and I would still recommend an AsRock board.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Well I have been told several times in different words, that "why should I spend good money on a 2600K and put it in a "half a$$ed" motherboard"?

I know that moterboards allow limits on there capacity. The deluxe is the best board I can find that I know will out perform anything. Short of waiting for IVY, EVGA or whatever, the 2600K should be put in a Asus Deluxe or similar. I just happen to have a lot of extra cash, so 40$ could get me something else, but why skimp on the most essential thing that makes a computer a computer?

I know I miss phrased the asrock to sound like a beeter, but in reality, once in my computer and I hook everything up, I rather have the sky as the limit.

If I had very limited amounts of cash I would settle, but I have no need to settle, and the deluxe is the highest point, that doesn't past un-necessary, and is considered the best for the money!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That logic assumes any of the boards in the roundup have a build quality issue, which they did not. The only "limiting" board was the Foxconn, though Jetway had a firmware issue that prevented Turbo from working.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I was considering the fact that my gpu isn't good enough.

I figure my best bet is getting a 2nd 5770, or dropping twice as much getting the same performance as 2x5770!

The GTX line is pretty nice but I don't know if I should spend more than 150$, when for that price I can get 5870 speeds out of two 5770!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Too rich for my blood, a single 6850 handles my gaming needs and runs quiet while consuming little power at idle, perhaps the poor man's compromise?

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I like the performance of the 5770, but ever since I got two 23"s and it seems to be lessened in performance.

I wanted to get the 5870 when I ordered my last parts and got the 5770, but I was told that two 5770's would give me performance of a stock 5870., so I thought I could do that to make up for not getting the 5870

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Well I still cannot find any place that did benchmarks with the asrocks extremes and the asus deluxe/evo.

It makes me think, the Asus Pro didn't do any better than the Extreme4 did, and I am wondering what exactly constitutes the asrock<asus as far as the extreme4 vs p8p67 pro.

My research shows that originally asrock was meant to compete with the lower priced boards, and was founded by one of the co-creators of Asus. Splitting into it's own company.

So the same people work in this venture, and it has been several years since they split the names. So it can easily be said that AsRock is no longer this lower class substitute to Asus, even know that is what it started as.

I also read that a lot of the parts are made from the same company's, and they have also been closely tied with technology's, thats why they both utilize the UEFI and seem to have identical footprints.

However AsRock does make budget boards, and one of my theorys is because Asus does all the leg work and research.

From what I can see, all third party controllers are the same, design on hardware and bios are the same.

I think we have it backwards:
I think AsRock does not skimp on parts for cheaper substitutes its ASUS that tops the motherboard off with more parts to charge more!
Meaning the AsRock are built with as much thought and performance as the next leading board!

I chose the ASRock P67 Pro3 for my overclocking/gaming computer based on price and features. My second choice would have been the ASUS P8P67 (standard version), but that was $20 more and had features I didn't need.

The only thing I have been disappointed in is the performance of the stock Intel cooler. My mainboard/CPU (2500K) can easily out-overclock the cooler. I had a Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B mounted, but it bowed the board slightly and caused a short between the mounting bracket and the case's mainboard tray. There's an eighth-inch to quarter-inch overlap between the CPU cutout and the bracket mounts so I could probably Dremel it or something, but I don't want to do that.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I have a 212+ and I picked it because I hate heavy heatsinks.

The boards I have been looking through have very good specs and individually the benchmarks look awesome.

I am not to trying to justify myself for buying an asus or asrock, but I was seeking the familiarity and differences. Asus does pack a punch in their motherboards, but I want performance/price, and would even consider a extreme4 or the one you got.

It will be up to me in the end, but like anyone, I want to save money, and I was misplaced when the motherboard I chose was said to be insufficient for an "enthusiast" or builder.

Either way every forum I write in the more I learn and so far this has been quite interesting.

mavroxur

Distinguished
I used to be opposed to ASRock after seeing them drop like flies back in the day, but they seem to build them better now. I actually used an ASRock for a while when i was waiting on my new board, and it worked just fine. Now it's been passed down to my son, and it still runs fine to this day. He games on it every chance he gets, so it gets a regular workout. They're not by any means the best board out there features and performance-wise, but they're a good, budget alternative.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I have found that Asus's Deluxe "features" do validate the extra $46. You take these extras away and you have your "Budget" motherboard, ie AsRock extreme6

So far this research is coming to end, because I have convinced even my self that additional money is definitely worth time and effort that Asus put into this Deluxe board.

The only thing I have found that the AsRock has that the Asus does not is the USB Booster.
I counted 23 unique features on the Asus, not including its Precision Tweaker 2.

That is almost one dollar for each one.lol

Anyways, so the answer is, yes, AsRock provides a simpliar more affordable means to what Asus offers. Benchmarks were not looked at that much but the Asus easily will defeat it on one on one combat.

So I will save myself a dissapointment and just get the Deluxe!

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010

My basis if meant for Higher End, but in your category of extrme4 vs P67 Asus Pro, I do feel that it applies.

I am not sure which of Asrocks specs match up to Asus's unique factors, but the $40 you didn't spend was only for the extra.

Your machine will perform in real life as good as it. I bet my computer money, that if you put in a exteme4/6 and I tried it, and then put the asus pro/deluxe in right after in the same exact same setup, I couldn't tell the difference.

I wouldn't know until I tried to use one of the special featues, such as the blu tooth.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
This is the very best review/overview of the Asus Deluxe and best benchmarks! It shows stock, low oc and max oc stats on benchmarks! I only wished they did this on all other P67 boards!

http://www.clunk.org.uk/reviews/asus-p8p67-deluxe-motherboard-review.html

I want to ask a SSD question. My uncle told me today that if I plan to mainly use a SSD for windows, it is better to have a faster read speed, than write speed. According to the above link, a sata 2 ssd was able to get just under 300mb/s read and write, while the C300 completely sucks at writing! I was wondering what someone would have to gain with such unblanance?

Wouldn't this make the SF's Corsiar, OCZ and Gskill 285/275 better than the C300?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

That article probably took someone a week...for one board...can you imagine how long it would take to do every board that way?