The best cpu for the price

frintonp

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
i have a k8n neo4 msi motherboard socket 939, just got a single core 2.8ghz cpu at the moment, i have looked around and want to be 100% sure about what to get and what the system can take.

AMD ATHLON FX-60, 2.6 GHz DUAL CORE SOCKET 939 this is what i really want in my system but like i said i want to be really sure its the right thing, any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
unless you get second hand, you can't get anything like that any more... If you do have some then it would be a nice boost to the single core.

if you are spending more than 200 on the cpu, i would simply buy new lol

loneninja

Distinguished
If your spending over $150 for the cpu(which is likely for an FX 60) you should be able to find some combos on newegg.com and upgrade your cpu/ram/motherboard for around that price and end up with much better performance.

frintonp

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
thanks for the advice, its just a shame really as there is nothing wrong with the pc except its lack of power. i will probably do what you said actually and just get a new system, i have got 4 other quite powerful pc's anyway, just wanting the best out of every system...........think it will probably end up in the spare roomhttp://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/message/icon10.gif now, use it as a home server...................thanks again..