Sign in with
Your question

Dual Channel or triple channel RAM?

Last response: in Memory
October 13, 2009 3:59:00 PM

I am worried i may have the wrong ram. When i placed my order for the the board, my vendor researched and said it used dual channel so he sent two 2 gb sticks of DDR3 1333 (Kingston) in a dual channel kit but looking at the manual it appears that the x8dah+ uses triple channel? Do i need to get 1333 ddr3 triple channel instead of the dual channel i have now? If it matters i will be using win xp 32 bit for now until i get win 7 64 bit. I have also seen some stuff that indicates that the 5520 chipset can use dual or triple channel. Also in the manual is this"When populating DIMM modules always start with Channel1 (#P1-DIMM1A, 1B and 1C) first"

The manual is here http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/5500/MNL-...

Any help appreciated...
a b } Memory
October 13, 2009 4:32:18 PM

Yes, your motherboard certainly uses 3-channel memory. Most motherboards that use 3-channel memory will work fine with 1 or 2 DIMMs with slightly reduced performance, but your manual doesn't seem to specifically state that it will, nor does it give any indication of which slots to use if you wanted to try that.

I think if I were in your position I'd return the memory and exchange it for a 3-channel kit. Since you bought on the vendor's recommendation, they should have no problem with that (although you'd have to pay extra for 3 DIMMs vs. 2, of course).

The other alternative is to buy two more 2-channel kits to give you a total of 6 DIMM modules. Be sure to get memory of exactly the same spec. if you do this.
m
l
a b } Memory
October 13, 2009 5:29:22 PM

Wow, that's quite a motherboard!

Designed for 1 or 2 1366 Intel CPUs and has 9 RAM slots for each CPU! This is a very high-tech board - are you planning to control the Mars mission?

And for all this, you're putting in 4GBs of RAM? It requires 3 modules of something, likely at least 6GBs, assuming you have only one CPU in it. There's no indication that this board would support dual-channel memory. All RAM needs to be in 3 module sets to run properly and as sminlal said, there's no option mentioned in the manual for less than full population of the channel(s). (Until you upgrade from XP 32-bit, only 3.5GBs of less of this RAM will show in Windows)

You could get another single IDENTICAL module but I'd stick with returning the 2 piece kit and getting a 3 piece kit. Your vendor must have been a complete doofus not to figure this out before sending it - everything about the board screams triple-channel. The # of slots, the CPU, the chipset, etc...

Since he made such a big mistake about the RAM, are you sure you don't have a LOT more board than you need also? Geez, it supports 144GBs of RAM!!! This is a BIG board, over ATX sized, designed I guess for dedicated server use. I show this board selling for about $450 discounted.

In addition and very important - make sure any RAM you are sent is rated at 1.5V and no more than 1.65V.

Here's the motherboard home page
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/QPI/5500...
m
l
Related resources
October 13, 2009 10:15:35 PM

Wow, I want one of those Motherboards!

I wonder if the Stock fans can keep it cool? :pt1cable: 
m
l
October 14, 2009 3:51:59 AM

Wow wow wee wah!
Its a beast fo sheezy.

Having said that... if you need help figuring out the difference between DDR2 and 3 ram...
do you actually NEED such h/ware?

To answer your question... if you are running such a setup there is no point doing it anyway other than perfectly.

Using such h/ware with 4Gb of ram is a criminal offence too. Again, i dont know what you are doing with it but for such a setup id run a min on 8Gb, which is 6, 9 or 12Gb in DDR3.
m
l
a b } Memory
October 14, 2009 5:14:28 AM

Well, the good news is it has headers for EIGHT fans!

It also supports ECC memory, which is what you'd normally put on a beast like this I reckon.

And it's sent with 4GBs of standard Kingston RAM...
m
l
March 8, 2011 1:05:30 AM

sminlal said:
Yes, your motherboard certainly uses 3-channel memory. Most motherboards that use 3-channel memory will work fine with 1 or 2 DIMMs with slightly reduced performance, but your manual doesn't seem to specifically state that it will, nor does it give any indication of which slots to use if you wanted to try that.

I think if I were in your position I'd return the memory and exchange it for a 3-channel kit. Since you bought on the vendor's recommendation, they should have no problem with that (although you'd have to pay extra for 3 DIMMs vs. 2, of course).

The other alternative is to buy two more 2-channel kits to give you a total of 6 DIMM modules. Be sure to get memory of exactly the same spec. if you do this.

Hi guys so I have 8gb ram ion my comp 4x2gb kit stock and i think they are 10600 ddr3 1333 pretty sure. so i just ordered 2x4gb ddr3 16000, 2000mhz rams from crucial and i have 4 slots as u can tell, i was wondering if the order i put the new rams matters or not like put the first 4 gb in the first slot and the 2nd 4gb kit in the 3rd slot or leave the 1st and 3rd slot free and put them on 2nd and 4th slots ?
m
l
!