Configuring a Wireless access point on a wireless network?

wheresgrant

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
I currently have a wireless network in my house that supports 3 laptops and an iMac. I recently bought a desktop to place in my office and need wireless connectivitity. The system is running Vista Home Premuim 64 bit. I initally tried using a Wireless 54G PCI card and the drivers would not take under any circumstances and I wasn't able to connect. Step 2 I purchased a USB Wireless G connector and although I would connect intermittently it would drop the signal. I later found out that there were major driver issues with Windows Vista 64 bit. Back to the store for round #3- I just purchased a Netgear WG602v4 Wireless G Access point. I am trying to configure and connect to my wireless network. It is unable to. Keep in mind that PC is at least 25 feet from the wireless router. I have it connected in my RJ45 port on my PC and I've verified that the hardware appears to be working. Netgear's instructions are to connect to the internet using ip: 192.168.0.227 yet not connection is engaged? What could I be doing wrong. THis is certainly not plug and play like Apple's Airport.