Suddently, my DvD drive dosent work

PF85

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
And I dont know what the hell is wrong with it. I've checked the BIOS and I can see my drive there. But it wont show up in Windows, and it wont auto-run a DvD/CD when insert one.

Can anyone help me with some troubleshooting?

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Can you see in in device manager? You might check device manager to see if it is present there before you do anything else. If it is present there and has a yellow ? next to it you may just need to disable and re-enable it there. The next thing I suggest is, with the power off unplug the power and the other cable to the drive. Restart the comp. for a minute or two and then shut it down again. Reinstall the cables making sure both ends of the non power cable are secure. Restart the computer. If the drive is good and properly connected, windows should detect it as new hardware and install it.

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

Do you have Itunes installed. It did this to me once. I had to go into regedit and delete upper and lower filter values and reassign values. Try gearbox.com as they have info to walk you thru process. Do not delete anything until you have all the instructions

PF85

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
Do you have Itunes installed. It did this to me once. I had to go into regedit and delete upper and lower filter values and reassign values. Try gearbox.com as they have info to walk you thru process. Do not delete anything until you have all the instructions
Nope. Never used Itunes.

Can you see in in device manager? You might check device manager to see if it is present there before you do anything else. If it is present there and has a yellow ? next to it you may just need to disable and re-enable it there. The next thing I suggest is, with the power off unplug the power and the other cable to the drive. Restart the comp. for a minute or two and then shut it down again. Reinstall the cables making sure both ends of the non power cable are secure. Restart the computer. If the drive is good and properly connected, windows should detect it as new hardware and install it.

Sorry for the late response. I dont have anything that indicate a DvD drive when I look at Device Manager. I've tried the unplug method, and that didnt help either.

I'm beginning to think that its because of the newest Gigabyte drivers I installed a few days ago, but I dont know how to reroll chipset drivers.

PF85

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
Jackie > I got Windows 7 and its AOPEN who made it.

aford > Neither option resolved the issue. And the upper and lower filters couldnt be found in the registry.

I got a whole other problem now too. Whenever I turn on my computer and if I dont give it enough time when I'm in Windows, it will come with a BSOD saying: Memory_Management

I have no idea what the problem is.

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Likw aford10 said try swapping it to another PC or if worse case purchase a new one if you can afford it. They are less than 20 dollars now. Also as aford10 said the BSOD sounds like bad memory. You can try running MEMTEST86 software to check it but is easier to swap them out one at a time and see what happens

PF85

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
So, no I'm completely clueless about whats going on with my system. I have done this:

Left 1 stick in the computer = Everything works fine and my DvD drive works again
Swapped sticks but still 1 stick in the computer = As above
Swapped slots + sticks = As above
Leaving 2 sticks in = Everything goes to hell. I cant find my DvD drive again and I get the random Memory_Management blue screens on startup.

What the hell?

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

I hate to tell you but at this point I would assume the MCC (memory controller chip) is bad and I think you need a new MO
BO as I dont think they are swappable. Did you ever try deleting the upper and lower values from the links provided?

PF85

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008

I cant find them in the registry. I'm thinking about formatting the computer to see if that helps. Getting rid of some of the chipset drivers and roll back to a older version

PF85

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
Sorry for that late response, but I simply havent had time to do the memtest before now. I ran it for 4-5 hours, and it said that it completed without any error. Which kinda leads me back to thinking, that its a driver problem