Sound card requirement for bitstream/blu-ray using ati hd 5770

fasterface

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Since the ATI Radeon 5770 can now do bitstream through the card for blu-rays, what type of integrated sound card on the mb do i need. I don't want a separate sound card, just wondering if the mb needs the coax or optical out on it in order for this all to function through the hdmi on the video card.

xaira

Distinguished
all ati graphics cards have a sound card built in, you dont need one on ur board or discrete. just install the gcard, install the drivers, plug in the hdmi and enjoy

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
i have a question about this to since my PNY 9800gtx card has true hd sound built in. my monitor does not have speakers on it, so maybe this is irrelavent but i was wondering......

1. does that built in sound either on my card or on the new cards do they only work if you monitor has speakers?

2. if i just plug my speakers into the motherboard would that utilize one of the card's built in good sound?

3. if this works this way should i disable onboard sound from the MB, in the bios?

i have a core i7 920
gigabyte-ex58-DS4
PNY 9800GTX (second revision i believe, pci-express 2.0)

You're GPU does NOT have a chip built in; the only thing NVIDIA cards can do is pass audio through HDMI when comming from another device. You connect the GPU to a Soundcard/motherboard via 2pin SPDIF header, which allows the audio signal to be outputted via HDMI. The sound quality is exactly the same as teh device hooked up to, subject to SPDIF transmission limitations (2.0 only unless passing though Dolby Digital/DTS signals).

fasterface

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009

So if I were to build a machine with a Radeon 5770 and plug the hdmi into a receiver, would I need a sound card built in to my motherboard that is capable of 5.1 or higher if I want digital sound, or is all of that functionality built into the card itself?