Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What is the maxim size HD I can use in a Dell 8200 Dimension ?

Last response: in Storage
December 7, 2010 12:33:46 AM

I currently have a 10 year old Dell 8200 Dimension (XP SP3 w/ bios version A09) with two hard drives, 100GB and a 140GB.
I would like to replace one with a 600GB or maybe a 1TB. Is this possible?
Thanks
Dave

More about : maxim size dell 8200 dimension

a c 386 G Storage
December 7, 2010 4:39:31 PM

According to this post it can only support drives up to 137 gig.

Some of the other posters seem to think a bios update may fix it. I guess the easy way to find out is update the bios and try it.
Score
December 8, 2010 5:39:19 PM

I had a Dell 8400 and with a bios update the max was 500gb. I doubt that the 1tb would even be recognized !
Score
Related resources
a c 104 G Storage
December 8, 2010 7:42:49 PM

Hi there,

We have a Dell 8200 Dimension with the Bios Ver A03, 2 GHz processor, 1 GB of RAM.
It has 2 PATA ports on the MB, and has two HDD's, one a 500 GB PATA which works fine.

When I research the larger HDD the 500 GB was the largest PATA available, about a year ago. Did not see any limitation on HDD size, and certainly not the old 137 GB limit. If you have XP SP/3 the next limit is the 2 TB address limit size.

I am assumming you are adding a PATA drive to the MB controller port, rather than a controller card and SATA drive.
Score
December 9, 2010 12:19:05 AM

John_VanKirk said:
Hi there,

We have a Dell 8200 Dimension with the Bios Ver A03, 2 GHz processor, 1 GB of RAM.
It has 2 PATA ports on the MB, and has two HDD's, one a 500 GB PATA which works fine.

When I research the larger HDD the 500 GB was the largest PATA available, about a year ago. Did not see any limitation on HDD size, and certainly not the old 137 GB limit. If you have XP SP/3 the next limit is the 2 TB address limit size.

I am assumming you are adding a PATA drive to the MB controller port, rather than a controller card and SATA drive.

I have bios ver. A09 which is the most up to date version available.
I was planning to remove the second 140 GB sata hard drive which is set up as storage file, and replace it with a Western Digital Caviar Black WD 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA.
I'm very glad you said something about a PATA drive John. For some reason I was thinking I had SATA hard drives. You saved me a lot of trouble, as I have PATA hard drives.
Do the SATA hard drive to IDE PATA adaptors work. Or should I stick to a PATA drive?
Dave
Score
a c 104 G Storage
December 9, 2010 1:21:50 AM

Hi Dave,

The short answer to your question about the PATA to SATA adapter, they do work and fit between the IDE connector with Molex power and the SATA HDD. If you do decide to try one, be very careful you choose the correct direction - since they make the adapters to go either way, PATA to SATA, and SATA to PATA. It can be confusing

However, with the Dell, 8200, I would stick with a large PATA drive. The molex power connector and secondary IDE connector for the drive is already at the drive slot ready to be used, you just need to plug them in and set the BIOS for the new drive. No hassle, no fuss, no incompatability problems.

With your 2 GHz or 2.3 GHz CPU, you are not going to see any speed advantage over the IDE drive. I see Amazon has a nice WD 500 GB Blue HDD for $79, free shipping, no tax.

If you have concerns over speed, the key thing with the Dell 8200 is have adequate RDRAM. I added 1 GB (tot=1250GB) to our Dell computer and it is a very peppy machine. We run Office 2007, Outlook, an N network running 300 Mb/s, a multifunction printer, and it doesn't complain a bit. Very functional desktop computer.

Hope that is helpful.
Score
December 9, 2010 1:40:49 AM

John_VanKirk said:
Hi Dave,

The short answer to your question about the PATA to SATA adapter, they do work and fit between the IDE connector with Molex power and the SATA HDD. If you do decide to try one, be very careful you choose the correct direction - since they make the adapters to go either way, PATA to SATA, and SATA to PATA. It can be confusing

However, with the Dell, 8200, I would stick with a large PATA drive. The molex power connector and secondary IDE connector for the drive is already at the drive slot ready to be used, you just need to plug them in and set the BIOS for the new drive. No hassle, no fuss, no incompatability problems.

With your 2 GHz or 2.3 GHz CPU, you are not going to see any speed advantage over the IDE drive. I see Amazon has a nice WD 500 GB Blue HDD for $79, free shipping, no tax.

If you have concerns over speed, the key thing with the Dell 8200 is have adequate RDRAM. I added 1 GB (tot=1250GB) to our Dell computer and it is a very peppy machine. We run Office 2007, Outlook, an N network running 300 Mb/s, a multifunction printer, and it doesn't complain a bit. Very functional desktop computer.

Hope that is helpful.

Thanks John, It is helpful.
I replaced the original 1.7 GHz CPU to a 2.8GHz , 1.5 GBs of RAM and 450 watt power supply, so I think I'm good to go. I don't remember how to set the bios though. I do remember I have the jumpers on the back placed to cable select.
I'll check out Amazon. New Egg is $79.00 plus $ 7.86 shipping.
Thanks a million.
Score
July 17, 2012 10:17:31 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!