Overclocking with and fitting a CM Hyper 212+

Syrocc

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
Hello,

I'd like to overclock my I3 540, clocked at 3.06 ghz, to somewhere around 4-4.2ghz.
To do this, I decided to go for a CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ cooler, based on price/performance factors.

Based on the above info, I have two very important questions:

1.) Can the Hyper 212+ manage? Reviews about it suggest it can, and I don't mind using high RPMs, noise is not something that bothers me.
2.) Can I fit in into a Nox Core Case? I understand it's 158.5mm High, and the Case has a Width of 180mm's. More info on the case here:

http://www.nox-xtreme.com/products_uk.php?cat=1&type=0&id=62&op=1

Regards and thanks,
Syr

Syrocc

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
Thanks, at least the cooling question is solved. Maybe someone who has one can elaborate on how big it actually is, and what were used to fit them in? I'm calculating that the Mobo + CPU can't have more than 2cm total height, so adding the 15.5 cm from the cooler, it would be 17.5 out of 18 cm's in total. But this is just speculation.

I don't think the 212+ will fit, your case is only 7" wide.
I usually don't recommend the 212+ unless the case is at least 7.3" wide.
Don't despair though there are a couple of other good quality coolers that will fit.
And simon12 is correct the i3's run cool even when oc'd.
CM Hyper 212+ = 120 x 79.7 x 158.5 mm (L x W x H)
CM TX3 - 90 x 51 x 139 mm
The ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa is 152mm tall.=132(L) x 100(W) x 152(H)mm
GELID Solutions Tranquillo is 153mm tall - 74 (l) x 125 (w) x 153 (h)
You have to take into account the space behind your mobo to the right side panel in your calculation for width.
The specced width would be from side panel to side panel outside dimensions.
My 902 is exactly what Antec says it is when measured outside from side to side.

Syrocc

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
I thought about going for a better, larger case, the Thermaltek V3 seems to fit the profile, being 190mm Wide, 430mm High, and 473mm long. This should allow most aftermarket CPU coolers to fit. Problem is, they all seem huge to me. And I'm worried that installing such a big cooler would completely ruing the entire airflow inside the case, even though the Thermaltek has bottom, side, front, back and top cooling possibilities.

@ Davcon

- The ZALMAN Performa doesn't seem to be much smaller than the Hyper 212 +, it's more or less the same size. I like the cooler itself, but it raises the same question for me.
- I've noticed the ZALMAN CNPS-9500A-LED has a considerably smaller size, and it still received very good reviews. My only concern is that it might eat up one of the RAM slots.

One important thing to mention is that the Mobo I'm using is a P55 Extreme from Asrock, which seems to have enough space, but has cooling systems of its own.

Any thoughts?

Syrocc

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
Haha, thanks simon, browsing through hundreds of coolers and reviews, just a few minutes ago I've stumbled upon the TX3 myself.
Seems like it will get the job done for any CPU under 85 TDP, and i3's are running at 73 TDP, Also, it's considerably smaller than the Hyper 212 + and it's competitors, and is priced at about half.

So, to sum it up, I think it's the best solution for my needs now. Going for a bigger cooler would mean a bigger investment, both for the cooler itself and for a larger case. And my overclocking needs aren't very high, I don't plan on getting 4.8 Ghz out of my i3 any time soon (even though it's doable).

Thanks again

The problem with the CNPS line is they only have one non-replaceable fan the CNPS10X line coolers can use any fan you want and all but one model can use two fans.

Ronbo1013

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

Davcon...I have the 902 V3. Probably the same dimensions as yours. So would this Cooler Master fit into my case too, considering the height of the Mobo tray to the facing case wall?

Thanks for any help.

Ronbo