OCZ Agility 2 vs Intel X-25m

ericb11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I've been looking at these two drives lately. And based on numbers the OCZ one seems faster, correct? But there's got to be a reason the intel one is so much more expensive. Yes, the intel does have more storage, but that can't be worth double the price when the drives read/write speeds are that much slower?

Here is the exact drives i'm looking at:

Intel X-25m

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167024&cm_re=x-25m-_-20-167-024-_-Product

OCZ Agility 2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227543

ericb11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I care about which one is better, I have friends that have used old OCZ drives, and Intel drives, and most people say that Intel's are always much better. So I'm trying to figure out which drive is better. Since to me they cost the same price (intel retail edge program), but the intel drive actually gives me more storage, but slower read/write speeds...is there something else i'm missing where intel's could out perform the OCZ?

Are you planning on buying an "old OCZ drive" as you put it? You're trying to compare previous generation OCZ SSD's which used slower controllers like the Indilinx Barefoot controller so of course the Intel drives outperformed them.

The OCZ Agility 2 uses SandForce’s SF-1200 controller. The Intel X-25-M G2 beats this OCZ model only in 4KB Random Reads & Writes.

ericb11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

I am not planning on getting an old OCZ drive, but what I was wondering is if anything makes the intel better than just numbers, for example like you stated the sandforce controller, something like that was more of a response I was looking for instead of the traditional intel fanboy attitude response.

Also, what makes the Vertex better than Agility 2? seems like they're the same specs, just Agility 2 has a higher starting price?

src1425

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

The value of the X-25M's superior 4KB random read times shouldn't be underestimated, as this is what will be used most frequently in day-to-day use for starting up the OS and applications. Although I could be mistaken, I assume you'll be using a secondary drive for storage, so you won't be writing to the SSD all that often.

Overall, the Agility 2 might be the better performer, but in the one area that counts most the X-25M comes out on top. Is it worth twice as much to pay for better performance and 40GB extra storage? Perhaps, particularly if you have a lot of apps/games you want to throw on the SSD without having to worry about managing things too much. But, I imagine you'll be happy with either drive.

You may also want to look at the Crucial RealSSD C300 128 GB:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148362

It's slightly larger than the Agility 2, costs much less than the X25-M, and significantly beats both the Agility 2 and the X25-M in 4KB random read times, which, practically speaking, I again think is the most important benchmark.

src1425

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Including OS, apps/games, and data, I only use about 160 GB, so 2 TB would be a waste for me. Once you've experienced the speeds of SSD, however, there's no going back. I wouldn't consider a new system without it, but your needs may be different and that's perfectly fine.

re-play-

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007

as i see u like to play u should be wasting that money in a better videocard not in SSD drive :non:

re-play-

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
your prerogative..
where are you, seems your living in past times still..

man just look at how cheap DDR3, HD, CPUs are cheap now in days, those hardware were costly
i wont waste money on SSD because of Performance, sacrifincing space WTF

i wont pay 229dollars for 120GB just because i want windows or games to load
WHAT??? 5secconds faster? LOOL
if that 120GB cost like 130-150 MAYBE just MAYBE, worst it

re-play-

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007

well u dont care about ur bills about electricity, or maybe ur mom pays that for u
4850 in crossfire are like a Dragon with 3head lol
u should sell that 4850 and buy 1 Hd6870